A proper save system

The game needs a proper save system.

The quicksave system should automatically save the game after a launch is succesfully put into orbit, and it would be nice to see a list of your saved games.

Its a little annoying when your whole space program was just deleted because the game didnt save properly and now youre reverted back to a state thats literally weeks before.

Just my 2cents

I'd love to see an auto-save implemented just before every launch, but what problem are you having with your whole program getting deleted? I've never had anything like that happen. The most I've lost are those last few edits I make to a ship design because I hit "launch" too fast after hitting "save".

I'd love to see an auto-save implemented just before every launch, but what problem are you having with your whole program getting deleted? I've never had anything like that happen. The most I've lost are those last few edits I make to a ship design because I hit "launch" too fast after hitting "save".

That's basically what revert flight does.

This would mean that each save would have hundreds of 'mini'-saves taking up much more room. Perhaps there can be a limit on how many 'mini'-saves there are. I think this can be done with a plugin but I'm not sure about the save api and how its done.

Most games allow for multiple games saves with a limited number allowed. IE: Crysis series, Timeshift, etc. A "check point" type system could be implemented for orbit achieved, capture achieved, landing, etc.

I think just extending the current system would be just fine. QuickSave as normal, reload brings up a list of your quick saves.

There are already quicksaves, autosaves, and saved states (there was a button to bring up a selector somewhere, but I never used it so I don't remember which... I think it's used for scenarios or something). The game already autosaves as soon as you cut throttle after exiting atmosphere (because it can't save in atmosphere), and it autosaves quite regularly so you don't lose things to a random crash.

Personally, I consider even the quicksave a little cop-out. It's a neat feature to have when you're about to try something absolutely ridiculous (I tried sending my refuelling station on a mission to Eeloo with just a Poodle for propulsion... almost made it, too - was 1500m/s deltaV too short of completing the final correction; next time, I'll send some NERVAs up first). But for regular flights I just prefer to try and correct whatever errors I make.

Adding a whole quicksave system to regular play would be going way too far.

To each their own, really. I tend not to use quicksave because I simply never think of it -- I'm always planning ahead, trying to work out the best way to do something. Saving "just in case" never crosses my mind. If I crash and burn, so be it xD

Considering that the game is currently supposed to be a sandbox, the save functions should be expanded upon, and then restricted deliberately in Career mode.

Cue flamewar - regular KSP players vs. "hardcore" KSP players who think quicksaving is cheating.

Not helpful.

Personally, the only time I've used quicksaves is when landing on airless bodies because I'm terrible at that, but I don't see any reason why the save system shouldn't be expanded. If I don't want to use it, I can just not use it.

Not helpful.

Personally, the only time I've used quicksaves is when landing on airless bodies because I'm terrible at that, but I don't see any reason why the save system shouldn't be expanded. If I don't want to use it, I can just not use it.

No need to get mad at me. It's the sad truth; you can't have a discussion about quicksaves without the notion of a flamewar hanging in the background. The save system is pretty good, but expanding it could very well be worthwhile and bring new mechanics to the table.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.