Will SQUAD ever release more software?

Bilfr3d

They've suggested they might someday have some expansions that add significant features, with enough content that would be worthy of a whole expansion, but they're really focused on KSP for the time being, making it the best game it can be in the scope they want KSP to have. Stuff that would go beyond the scope of KSP as a game essentially about building and flying rockets, they may someday do but it's a long way off.

asking this question is like asking if Riot is gonna make another game....

and the answer is probably no; as long as the game is still making money for them

but they are probably going to add content as the game progress

just like how Riot added dominion and ARAM in their league of legend

"KSP 2" They'll never do this, KSP being in constant development similar to TF2 with new changes being put out as fast as they can be programmed and tested means that KSP should never even need a sequel. This isn't a bad thing either for the people who bought KSP early on :3

i wish they someday ditch the old unity and move on to the newer version of it, single core single thread cpu physx isnt taking the game very far

They are on the newest version of unity, and its Unity's problem why the version of Physx is still single-threaded.

I doubt they're going to get bought out...ever. Independent studios are taking over the industry right now and bigger publishers are starting to get bit by their own anti-consumer policies and behaviors. If anything, they'll complete KSP1.0 and start making one or two expansions to it...like filling out resources and mining a bit more, maybe have one focused on colonization and building or something like that...who knows? Right now, though, they're trying to determine exactly what they want KSP1.0 to be and in doing so, will determine what content and features would be best suited to a post-release expansion, rather than trying to cram those things in before the game releases(within the next year-ish, they were saying).

Outside of them shenanigans, they may wind up making a sequel to KSP, but I feel like they might want to take a break from space madness after this. It really all depends on the team and how they feel when they're done with KSP. Maybe they'll go a little crazy and start making a milsim or puzzle platformer or something ridiculous. Who knows what they'll want to do in the future, it's quite a ways away so anything's possible, really @.,@

I doubt they're going to get bought out...ever. Independent studios are taking over the industry right now

Maybe, maybe not. I wouldn't blame the owner of an indie studio from taking a lucrative offer if it was on the table. Everybody remembers the big success stories like Mojang, but not every game will make as much money as that. KSP should do ok, they've got a fair bit of buzz already. Hopefully they'll be able to stay indie if they want to.

I think this is an interesting question about the future of Squad.

I peronally think that the will much likely keep adding stuff to KSP.

DLC are a little bit questionable because woulden't they be like mods? So why pay for them. At the same time if it would add game changing feautures they shoulden't take them away from the main game.

"KSP 2" They'll never do this, KSP being in constant development similar to TF2 with new changes being put out as fast as they can be programmed and tested means that KSP should never even need a sequel. This isn't a bad thing either for the people who bought KSP early on :3

The reason KSP is being updated repeatedly is because it is still in development. It's not going to be like Minecraft where the devs think "Ooh! Let's add this cool new feature to the game to get people interested again!" because Minecraft is past version 1.0, while KSP is only at version 0.21.

From what I've heard and understand, Squad will finish KSP to the point where it doesn't need to be added to anymore, and then they'll move on to another game. Then they'll come back to KSP, add (more) expansions, and then move on to another game or add some expansions to Squad Game #2.

As for DLC, it won't be something (relatively) insignificant like FAR, which is just an improved aerodynamics system and doesn't change gameplay to radically or add something major that totally changes everything. HarvesteR's idea of KSP DLC (from what I know) will be things like underwater exploration and extraterrestrial life; things that generally do not fit under the "Let's launch tons of little green men into space and blow stuff up!" banner.

Never say never... Maybe far into the future when KSP has been finished and they have more resources/funding they might decide to start over using a different engine or even make a entirely different game.

If KSP continues selling well over the next years then squad will no longer be a small indie company, so who knows what will happen...

Either way it is far into the future..

I think this is an interesting question about the future of Squad.

I peronally think that the will much likely keep adding stuff to KSP.

DLC are a little bit questionable because woulden't they be like mods? So why pay for them. At the same time if it would add game changing feautures they shoulden't take them away from the main game.

They arent taking away anything. But they might come up with new ideas after the game has been finished that might be released as a dlc/expansion.

And squad already stated that if they were to release an expansion in future it would not be a simple dlc addon and would instead be something more major than just for example some parts.

I'm surprised Squad offer lifetime version upgrades to everyone who buys the KSP alpha, especially as it is now such a good game in its own right. How do they make any money?

Wasn't that only if you bought the game before the end of april? Well, I guess version upgrades are free to everyone because the game's not finished yet. But when they talked about expansions or DLC in a stream once, it pissed everyone off so they said anyone who buys the game before the end of april would get all future patches, updates, expansions and DLC(if they ever make such things) for free :o

That's when I got it, right before the end of april on steam. I love me some free stuff XD

But actual version updates(like .21 to .22) come free because...the game isn't finished yet, like I said. When KSP hits 1.0, it'll be a complete and released product. At that point, they might work on expansion content like colonizing other planets proper-like or something like that.

They make money from people buying the game and kerbalizer. People probably buy the game every day but aside from that, they've most likely made enough money from people buying the game thusfar to fund their salaries for at least another year or two. I mean, the money they make from every sale goes to their employers, who then uses the profit to pay everyone's salaries and business expenses over time. That's just how it works :o

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.