What are the basic mods to get?

cam0str1f3

KW is a great parts pack but it's not optimized for 0.21. You'll need to get updated .cfg files for the pods and it helps to also use the Optimization Pack.

I prefer NovaPunch because it's updated for 0.21 and has the larger parts you need for Saturn-style rockets.

I really recommend Chatterer (very immersive), NavyFish's Docking Alignment Indicator, the RCS Build Aid for balancing thrusters, and Universe Replacer for making your game look SOOOOO GOOD!

Chatterer is a must-have.

You can't go wrong with Universe Replacer and a skybox texture at the least.

MechJeb2, but I'd recommend sticking with stock flight until you're bored with it.

Engineer Redux is a great MechJeb alternative without the flight assistants.

Kethane adds a mineable resource and is kind of fun.

KAS adds a whole new dimension to gameplay, but it has some physics quirks that you need to watch out for.

FAR adds more realistic aerodynamics to the game but it makes getting payloads off Kerbin way too easy if you know at all what you're doing.

Deadly Reentry is also great for a "touch of reality" but, even though flying with it is different than stock, it adds more of a nuisance than actual gameplay once you know your way around it.

AIES has some very nice looking parts, but I ended up pruning the pack and stealing a bunch of parts, and then editing them to be what I wanted because their balance against stock isn't very good.

Edited by regex

I sort of like the JARFR industries pack.

It adds a ton of structural struts that just look awesome, plus engines, couplers, and control modules to fit the form factor.

It isn't optimized for the new version yet, but I've had no issues with mine so far.

some silly little docking practice probes I've been using

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y402/UU92/26fdea47-7bd0-4d75-8666-d8bbc0d67670_zps7ec8d768.jpg

and the base of a space station that unfortunately got wiped with some computer issues This was a BEAR to dock those!

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y402/UU92/KSP/screenshot1_zpsedcc7af2.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.