New Space-X rocket is the most Kerbal rocket I've ever seen in real life

ultra86

So... Can we expect to be able to do the same in .22?
Space-X uses an autopilot. So I'm guessing... nope.

Well, technically you can do that right now in version 0.21, but you'll have to do it manually... Good luck!

I'm not really sure about these tests. I mean sure, it's great that they can do it with such precision, but coming down at speeds from an orbital velocity will take a lot more delta-v to bring it to such a smooth and accurate landing, right? Not including how much heavier a ship might be on its way down than this one.

They're not planning on landing an entire rocket, just the first stage of the Falcon 9. The Grasshopper they're testing is basically an F9 first stage with legs but only one engine. SpaceX's newest version of the F9 has landing legs, a cold gas attitude control system, and the central engine on the first stage is equipped for at least one (and possibly more) restarts in flight. They plan to test an ocean "landing" of the first stage downrange during each of the next few flights. They're serious about recovering the first stage in the next couple years.

SpaceX are cheating, they're using mechjeb on their rockets........

<<<<ducks before various bits of space craft are thrown at him by other forum members :D

Oh my GOD, go away. You're obviously baiting a fight, and comparing a RL flight computer to Mechjeb is stupid in the first place.

But yeah, SpaceX are pretty wicked. Elon Musk is nuts about space, I wouldn't be surprised if folk at SpaceX play KSP.

Edited by Mercy

comparing a RL flight computer to Mechjeb is stupid in the first place.

Not in the least. It is intended to perform the same functions.

30 years of history -- over 350 launches -- with no failure on first stage. They have one spectacular launch mishap and now they're Kerbal.

Did you miss the pun? You do know the Russian word for "spaceship", nyet?

Edited by HeadHunter67

Did you miss the pun? You do know the Russian word for "ship", nyet?

I'm not getting into the Mechjeb argument again, but I want you to know that was a terrible pun and not even funny as well as nonsensical.

I'm not really sure about these tests. I mean sure, it's great that they can do it with such precision, but coming down at speeds from an orbital velocity will take a lot more delta-v to bring it to such a smooth and accurate landing, right? Not including how much heavier a ship might be on its way down than this one.

First this is an first stage, it does not reach orbital speeds, no need for heat shields, secondly most of the speed is removed because of air resistance. Also the rocket has only has a bit fuel left.

Yes the first stage return has some challenges grasshopper don't have, they has to do an fast burn who take it back to the launchpad, who longer time they wait after separation who longer will it move eastward. Next it will move ballistic toward the launchpad so they can adjust path. they will move in supersonic speed so they has to point engine down, rocket will also need to be aerodynamic stable moving backward.

The final part will be pretty much like grasshopper

Right, because "Kerbal" and "Korabl" look and sound nothing alike.

It's almost like Squad never even thought of that when they came up with the name! :rolleyes:

Let's load up MapSat and see if we can locate your sense of humor and other anomalies. :kiss:

"Well, a ship rocket actually." Tell me how that makes sense?

And I don't think the guy that replied to you in the first place even cared about the stupid joke, more the fact that you called a ship Kerbal after 1 failed launch out of hundreds.

They're not planning on landing an entire rocket, just the first stage of the Falcon 9. The Grasshopper they're testing is basically an F9 first stage with legs but only one engine. SpaceX's newest version of the F9 has landing legs, a cold gas attitude control system, and the central engine on the first stage is equipped for at least one (and possibly more) restarts in flight. They plan to test an ocean "landing" of the first stage downrange during each of the next few flights. They're serious about recovering the first stage in the next couple years.

Yes, but I think that the ultimate goal of the project is to build the spiritual successor to the DC-X experimental VTVL SSTO.

Launched like a rocket, the conical DC-X was designed to re-enter facing forwards, then flip around and land the same way it took off. It was revolutionary because the testing program focused on operations rather than technology, preferring rapid-fire test flights in order to test the feasibility of it's quick-turnaround design. McDonnell Douglas managed to get the turnaround down to only 26 hours, compared to the Shuttle's multiple month turnaround. Unfortunately, funding cuts grounded the program before the craft went above 3,000 meters, which is still relatively impressive given the cost of the program.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_DC-X

The design of Grasshopper and the way SpaceX is testing it bear many similarities to the DC-X program.

Edited by theflyingfish

"Well, a ship rocket actually." Tell me how that makes sense?

And I don't think the guy that replied to you in the first place even cared about the stupid joke, more the fact that you called a ship Kerbal after 1 failed launch out of hundreds.

Why are you trying to start a fight? Just accept that everyone's sense of humor is different and move on.

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/spacexs-grasshopper-test-rocket-flies-sideways-successfully-6C10923106

Not sure if it's against the rules to post something like this.. My apologies if it is, but tell me this doesn't look like Jeb is at the controls!

I watched the video just now, and I must say the landing particularly impressed me. I honestly thought it was coming down WAY too fast, then it just.... settled. Something to be said (good things) for that kind of precision.

Edited by iueras

Why are you trying to start a fight? Just accept that everyone's sense of humor is different and move on.

He called the other guy out, I presented a rebuttal as well as leaving another subject behind to avoid a fight.

Don't just blame one party, especially when the other one is being antagonistic.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.