Exact fuel transfer

I think it's a bit shoddy that we have to eyeball it and time when to click "Stop" while transferring fuel. Let us type-in a value of how much fuel we want to transfer when you click two fuel tanks, then initiate the transfer. This is much easier than trying to get them as close to balanced as possible.

Remember, this is Kerbal engineering. Do you really think they would design a computerized flow valve when a ball valve and some duct would suffice? haha :D

Honestly, i haven't come across a scenario where i needed to stop the fuel transfer before one of the tanks was either completely empty(or full). But i could see this being useful if/when that need arises.

edit:: Just noticed you gave a 'balancing' example. Take a look at the TAC Fuel Balancer plugin. It will automatically keep the tanks balanced if you tell it to.

Edited by dave4002000

iv been wanting this since they added fuel transfer and quoting mods in dev suggestion is pointless we all know they are there and so do the devs so ... like I said

even if they just added selecting 1 tank and clicking fill and it pulls fuel from all the tanks would be a massive leap so I'm not transfering it 1 by 1 from drop tanks planes flipping out of the sky

Honestly, i haven't come across a scenario where i needed to stop the fuel transfer before one of the tanks was either completely empty(or full). But i could see this being useful if/when that need arises.

Once scenario that is popping up more regularly now is the requirement to de-orbit pieces of rockets. My refuelling tanker flies up, fills up the space station or whatever, and then has a little bit left. But the problem is that sometimes you want to leave say, only 10 units of fuel left in the tanker; just enough to de-orbit it without affecting your supplies. Problem is that a) getting 10 units exactly is hard enough, and B) getting the 12 or so units of oxidiser exactly at the right ratio is even harder.

Once scenario that is popping up more regularly now is the requirement to de-orbit pieces of rockets. My refuelling tanker flies up, fills up the space station or whatever, and then has a little bit left. But the problem is that sometimes you want to leave say, only 10 units of fuel left in the tanker; just enough to de-orbit it without affecting your supplies. Problem is that a) getting 10 units exactly is hard enough, and B) getting the 12 or so units of oxidiser exactly at the right ratio is even harder.

The situation I had that made me put out this suggestion was returning to Kerbin on a spaceplane. I had three fuel tanks radially attached to eachother in a row of three. The one in the center had a liquid fuel engine, and the one's on the outside had jet engines. The side fuel tanks were empty and the center fuel tank had about 160 fuel. I wanted to put 80 fuel in each engine, close as I got was 83 to 77. It doesn't seem like that big of a difference but it does have an effect on flying. Landing is difficult when your ship is unbalanced.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.