The Eve Circumnavigation Challenge

Decided to go a little further today. Past the half-way point. Only incident on this leg of the journey was I totally missed my first landing, ended up going over a hill and I glided for 10km before I could get on the ground. Hit the brakes and slid sideways. Gotta love that. Wanted to land a lot sooner as I was staring at a mountain I'd have to climb over to make my next stop. For the final destination, I decided to meet my B9 'modified' Kethane jet. Here's a shot of the pilots comparing notes

By the way, the reason I'm posting all of these shots of my progress is because of one of the first posts that politely pointed me to the forum rules asking if I'd done this myself. Hope you'll forgive me but I wanted to provide solid proof that it can be done... stock.

Stock meets modified. Yep, I edited the .cfg files on some B9 parts so that the engine runs on Kethane and the fuel is in the wings... WHERE IT BELONGS SQUAD! Reverse thrusting engines, air brakes and wheels that turn... I so miss those on the stock plane. Also note my 'training wheels'

PKP8.png

Current progress. Past the half way point

PKP9.png

DL3hnwo.png

Update on my trip:

My 4th stop ended up being on what I named "Gregmund Island". Because I'll be damned if one more thing gets named after Jeb. And my pilot for this trip is Gregmund.

QttbiUB.png

It's not so bad when you get close..

GXpaJ7D.png

Safe!

IgcF2Ef.png

m6TBXt1.png

some time later....

zMhbCl0.png

FgKMpEG.jpg

TRIP COMPLETE!!

izZGj7f.jpg

Now as for the SSTO idea.. I've tried twice so far. both times I get to about 32k and it just starts tumbling. I have to learn to kick the rockets on before the kethane jets stall. I don't have high hopes for it though. I'll try it again tomorrow.. but this might have been a one way trip for Gregmund! D:

I think he figured that out too. Naming the island after him didn't seem to cheer him up much at all.

Land maps available here:

http://www.kerbalmaps.com/

I just added the points in photoshop.

Edited by automcdonough

Update on my trip:

TRIP COMPLETE!!

Contrats and well done! I'll assume nothing fell off the plane since I didn't see any end of flight stats or obvious missing parts. I'm actually glad you proved it possible before I did. Was it as much fun as you thot it would be?

Oh, and I always plan on marooning my Kerbals on Eve. If you don't get him off, you can always build another with those Pwings you were looking at and bring him some company. That or you can go fly around Duna but I warn you, it's VERY different.

Edited by Fengist

Oh yeah that last pic next to the flag, that's the start flag. All in one piece!

Funny thing though, when reloading trying the SSTO thing, the wheels kept starting stuck in the ground. had to re-load a few extra times.. but once it was free from the ground and moving all is good.

It was a challenge, good flight practice. Fun in some ways but also time consuming.. I ended up watching coilgun vids on youtube for the second half of it. :P

I do have a traditional lifter with 12k d/v, built with the purpose of doing a manned Eve mission. Now I have 4 flags instead of one and it turned into a rescue mission....

Sort of a placeholder post.

This challenge was so well written I had to try it. I have to tell you that you've not only inspired me to attempt your challenge, but in doing so I've teamed up with another KSP player and have developed an entire line planes and support craft for this challenge.

Later today or tomorrow I will release the craft file for the "Kethane Dart Mk2c". Inspired by the sleek lines of jet fighters, the Kethane Dart includes several optional "hard point" attachments. Including drop tanks (Kethane of course) to extend its range, a parachute delivery drop rover (complete with full sensor suit), and Kethane scanner pods (sold separately ;) ).

The Mk2c comes with 4 wing mounted hard points with drop tanks, and a belly hard point with rover attached.

Key features: Parachute assist landing system ( for those hard to reach places), FAR tested and compatible, KAS refueling ports, Aviation Lighting (including Belly lighting for night refueling), on-board power generation (RTG, with solar for when landed), top mounted Docking Port for delivery systems, Modular Wheels Wheel Pods for sleek design.

It was created with the idea in mind to make a stock version, indeed the only "must-have" addons are Kethane and Modular Wheels (will double check that), the rest of the mod parts could be removed and plane still function.

Additionally the Dart comes with complete ladder system so your piglet (sorry pilot) can get out and re-pack the parachute landing system should you choose to deploy it over and over.

This is a "full mods" version, required mods: KAS, Modular Wheels, Aviation Lights (will double check the rest when I get home)

Optional: For a true experience, TAC Fuel Balancer is recommended. Set the drop tanks to "transfer out" before take-off. The drop tanks will then feed the main tanks and empty first. Allowing you the option of keeping them or dropping them. Kethane drains from the tanks like mono does, evenly from all tanks without this mod.

Screenshot teaser.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bp9wtkf38g1tamg/screenshot21.png

Update to follow.

Edited by rottielover

why use the wheels and lights? they don't benefit the craft at all for bumping you out of the stock+kethane class for the challenge.

Also teh aviation lights are a bit heavier than they should be. considering the parameters for this challenge you should consider streamlining anything that causes extra weight or drag. and RTG has a decent amount of weight to it compared to solar, why use it?

Edited by automcdonough

I'm completing this with TAC life support just for kicks. My plane is in place, I have four kethane drills and life support resupply stations around Eve's equator, and a kethane jet and eve ascender waiting at the start/finish point.

Now I'm going through final testing of my 3 man interplanetary habitat. One kerbal will stay in orbit, one will stay on the surface at the start/finish point, and one will begin testing the kethane plane by flying it at comfortable cruise altitude on Eve to extrapolate it's range. Extra resupply stations will be placed if needed, or a new plane may need to be delivered with extended range.

This is intended to be a safe, no kerbals killed mission!

why use the wheels and lights? they don't benefit the craft at all for bumping you out of the stock+kethane class for the challenge.

Also teh aviation lights are a bit heavier than they should be. considering the parameters for this challenge you should consider streamlining anything that causes extra weight or drag. and RTG has a decent amount of weight to it compared to solar, why use it?

Aesthetic quality's and creative license. Plus the challenge is not to fly the longest consecutive distance without stopping, this craft has to "hop" deposit to deposit with this setup. If the challenge were fastest circumnavigation then more streamlining is in order, but I wanted something that you could have a little fun with while working on the challenge.

As always those who download the (yet to be released) craft are certainly free to modify anyway they choose, I think sharing craft files is one of the highlights of the KSP community.

As stated a stock parts only version is in the works (I play about 8 hours total a week, takes me a bit longer for these things ;). )

So rottie, Do you intend to drop the drop tanks (and the bass XD) as you go, and then pick up more drop tanks at the resupply points?

Do you plan on re-attaching them with KAS or with docking ports?

I consider it optional to drop the tanks (there are two action groups setup to do so). The tanks are attached to jr docking ports. We're actually working on a Magic Smoke inspired supply truck that will lift extra tanks up to the wings to dock them at the supply drops. Though development was delayed a bit (I installed Deadly Reentry and have been working to find a good, reliable, and fun way to deliver the Dart to eve without everything burning off.

I consider it optional to drop the tanks (there are two action groups setup to do so). The tanks are attached to jr docking ports. We're actually working on a Magic Smoke inspired supply truck that will lift extra tanks up to the wings to dock them at the supply drops. Though development was delayed a bit (I installed Deadly Reentry and have been working to find a good, reliable, and fun way to deliver the Dart to eve without everything burning off.

Consider hiring FONG INC., Experienced Contractor in the field of experimental spacecraft!

Provide a Dart prototype, and I'll design you a Magic Smoke work cart that can transfer drop tanks from pallets delivered to eve, and install them under the wing of your plane. :D All I want as payment is the right to use your technology in my own circumnavigation challenge.

Consider hiring FONG INC., Experienced Contractor in the field of experimental spacecraft!

Provide a Dart prototype, and I'll design you a Magic Smoke work cart that can transfer drop tanks from pallets delivered to eve, and install them under the wing of your plane. :D All I want as payment is the right to use your technology in my own circumnavigation challenge.

Agreed! ( all are welcome to use my design once I get it posted, again I consider sharing idea's via craft files to be the highlight of playing KSP, and wish that people would share more! )

Sorry for the delays, I'm posting on my phone (yes instead of working, I know I'm bad).

Excession Aeronautics is proud to present:

A Dirt_Merchant and Rottielover creation:

The Kethane Dart Mk2c

Craft File Here: Kethane Dart Mk2c

Note: In this configuration you require the following MODS to be installed: Modular Multiwheels, KAS, Kethane (of course), and Aviation Lights.

A full description of the action groups is included, just click on the name of the craft in the SPH and you'll see the text.

p1Jc20l.png

NeWhDay.png

zkIsNTg.png

EDIT: I'm not sure why I even have to answer this, but yes, you will need a way to fill it with Kethane in order to fly it!

Piloting tips:

She's made to go in a straight line, this is not a stunt plane.

use of the SAS system will help you

Most fun with a joystick

Edited by rottielover

@Dirt_Merchant and @Rottielover

Have you determined it's cruising range yet?

I've got a really long stretch that's probably beyond the range of my craft. The only kethane deposit around is in the middle of an ocean.

I've tried making a floating runway with a submersible drill, but I couldn't do it in less than 100 tons, and even 50 is too much to put in orbit. And even then, I can't keep the thing from falling apart under it's own weight when the chutes kick in. Perhaps it's overkill.

Other options include aerial re-fueling, and seaplane landing capability, with a submersible drill accessory which can be brought along that leg of the trip...

@Dirt_Merchant and @Rottielover

Have you determined it's cruising range yet?

I've got a really long stretch that's probably beyond the range of my craft. The only kethane deposit around is in the middle of an ocean.

I've tried making a floating runway with a submersible drill, but I couldn't do it in less than 100 tons, and even 50 is too much to put in orbit. And even then, I can't keep the thing from falling apart under it's own weight when the chutes kick in. Perhaps it's overkill.

Other options include aerial re-fueling, and seaplane landing capability, with a submersible drill accessory which can be brought along that leg of the trip...

Don't have exact numbers for you, but I crossed Eve's ocean near the equator. When testing on kerbin I got 1/3 of the way around before the tanks ran dry. I planted a flag, I'll have to find a way to measure from KSC to my flag.

Consider a technique seen in both planes which have completed the challenge: a LOT more lifting surface. Let the wings do the lifting, the engine just push it along. As you even said yourself, it only has to go in a straight line efficiently. Your plane looks like a stunt craft compared to ours!

Rule 9: Loosing parts. To the author of the challenge: Are drop fuel tanks considered a disqualification?? What about having more drop tanks loaded at a pit stop by a vehicle? (Ie you return to your origin point with a set of empty drop tanks, but they may or may not be the original tanks that the jet started with?

It took a few goes to design something that wouldn't fall apart every-time I landed it. My first one actually fell THROUGH the terrain. The third design is stable and on the second leg of its 8ish leg journey.

Here's hoping for happy landings!

Ko0MQrU.jpg

Rule 9: Loosing parts. To the author of the challenge: Are drop fuel tanks considered a disqualification?? What about having more drop tanks loaded at a pit stop by a vehicle? (Ie you return to your origin point with a set of empty drop tanks, but they may or may not be the original tanks that the jet started with?

My original inclination is that anything that gets added or removed to the aircraft that increases or decreases performance or capacity is a disqualification. It's been completed without drop tanks. That being said. If you do use any drop tanks I'm inclined to put those into the full mods category even if everything is stock.

Edited by Fengist

Another quick update on my stock attempt.

Since I had probably 2 more stops left and that the last leg of my circumnavigation would be the longest, I decided to put my plane PKP to the test today. I was worried about 2 things in particular, whether I'd have enough fuel for the last leg and how it would fly running on fumes. Since I had to land backward with empty tanks, I need to know if it would still be flyable nearly empty. Well, it made it further than I expected. Things got really squirrely at the end tho. With only 416 Kethane left in the tanks, it did change my center of gravity drastically. So much so that any time I hit the elevators to dive, it would climb instead. Landing was most gruesome. But, land it did and that tells me it should make the last leg if I can keep it flying straight and level. Only one more long leg to complete and a possible stop to fuel and I'll be back at the flag.

Climbing into the EVE Sunrise

PKP11.png

Today's flight

PKP12.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.