small and easy update.....Runwaylights

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure the dev response to prior suggestions along this line were that game resource cost was too high

Not too high as in a few models which could cast some light, but in actually having those lights on (i.e. expect a framerate riot)

You can add rovers with lights and a RTG near the runway (and all the ksc if you want) so you can see the area when you are near.

'... when you are near.' And therein lies the problem. By the time the light becomes of any use you're already so close to the runway you won't need them any more.

It has been suggested a few times indeed but I never saw any dev involved, let alone see any reply by one of them the 'costs' where too high.

This has been suggested before.

That said, I don't think you'd need to make each runway light be a light source as far as the game is concerned. A bunch of low-rez coloured spheres or billboard-sprite circles with no light sourcing applied would provide the same effect at night, and could be made invisible during the day.

Except for the PAPI indicators of course, which it seems someone has already made a mod for.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.