[1.1]Hullcam VDS - mod adopted by linuxgamer

Albert VDS

(slightly related - is there any other way to set up a launch cam other than on the clamps? I want it further back and the only way I can think to do this is to have a whole bunch of clamps outwards and attach the cam to the furthest one)

build it onto a little probe based rover and drive to where ever you want it and set it up... I use InfernalRobotics to give me hinges and rotating parts to get the pan and tilt dialed in (can't adjust that remotely though, so make sure you're happy). The camera will work even though it is on another vessel, so as long as you're within 2.3km of the camera it works fine.

Here, I whipped up a little video to show you just how to do it, and its even got a wicked cool 'Space Odyssey' vibe... Enjoy

Edited by Kurtvw

Anyone? Is this benign or an issue?

Getting the following in my KSP.log

[LOG 04:22:36.556] Load(Model): HullCameraVDS/Parts/Telescope/telescope
[ERR 04:22:36.719] Unsupported texture format - needs to be ARGB32, RGBA32, RGB24 or Alpha8
[ERR 04:22:36.728] Unsupported texture format - needs to be ARGB32, RGBA32, RGB24 or Alpha8

[LOG 04:22:42.266] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'HullCameraVDS/Parts/aerocam/part/aerocam'
[WRN 04:22:42.280] PartLoader Warning: Variable impactTolerance not found in Part
[ERR 04:22:42.282] Cannot find a Module of typename 'HullCamera'
[WRN 04:22:42.282] Could not create PartResource of type 'Resolution
[LOG 04:22:42.294] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'HullCameraVDS/Parts/aerocam/part/aerocam180'
[WRN 04:22:42.309] PartLoader Warning: Variable impactTolerance not found in Part
[ERR 04:22:42.310] Cannot find a Module of typename 'HullCamera'
[WRN 04:22:42.310] Could not create PartResource of type 'Resolution
[LOG 04:22:42.322] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'HullCameraVDS/Parts/hc_booster/part/hc_booster'
[WRN 04:22:42.325] PartLoader Warning: Variable impactTolerance not found in Part
[ERR 04:22:42.326] Cannot find a Module of typename 'HullCamera'
[WRN 04:22:42.326] Could not create PartResource of type 'Resolution
[ERR 04:22:42.327] Cannot find a Module of typename 'HullCamera'
[WRN 04:22:42.327] Could not create PartResource of type 'Resolution
[LOG 04:22:42.332] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'HullCameraVDS/Parts/hc_launchcam/part/hc_launchcam'
[WRN 04:22:42.335] PartLoader Warning: Variable impactTolerance not found in Part
[ERR 04:22:42.336] Cannot find a Module of typename 'HullCamera'
[WRN 04:22:42.336] Could not create PartResource of type 'Resolution

[LOG 04:22:42.371] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'HullCameraVDS/Parts/hc_navcam/part/hc_navcam'
[WRN 04:22:42.385] PartLoader Warning: Variable impactTolerance not found in Part
[ERR 04:22:42.387] Cannot find a Module of typename 'HullCamera'
[WRN 04:22:42.387] Could not create PartResource of type 'Resolution
[LOG 04:22:42.393] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'HullCameraVDS/Parts/hc_scicam/part/hc_scicam'
[WRN 04:22:42.397] PartLoader Warning: Variable impactTolerance not found in Part
[ERR 04:22:42.398] Cannot find a Module of typename 'HullCamera'
[WRN 04:22:42.398] Could not create PartResource of type 'Resolution
[LOG 04:22:42.403] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'HullCameraVDS/Parts/hullcam_hubbazoot/part/mumech_hullcam'
[WRN 04:22:42.408] PartLoader Warning: Variable impactTolerance not found in Strut
[ERR 04:22:42.410] Cannot find a Module of typename 'HullCamera'
[WRN 04:22:42.410] Could not create PartResource of type 'Resolution
[LOG 04:22:42.413] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'HullCameraVDS/Parts/MSIKerbPro/part/kerbpro'
[WRN 04:22:42.421] PartLoader Warning: Variable impactTolerance not found in Part
[ERR 04:22:42.422] Cannot find a Module of typename 'HullCamera'
[WRN 04:22:42.422] Could not create PartResource of type 'Resolution
[LOG 04:22:42.439] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'HullCameraVDS/Parts/Telescope/part/Telescope'
[WRN 04:22:42.442] PartLoader Warning: Variable impactTolerance not found in Strut
[ERR 04:22:42.443] Cannot find a Module of typename 'HullCamera'
[WRN 04:22:42.443] Could not create PartResource of type 'Resolution
[ERR 04:22:42.443] Cannot find a Module of typename 'BOSS'
[LOG 04:22:42.447] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'HullCameraVDS/Parts/TelescopeLarge/part/Pictozoom 2000'
[WRN 04:22:42.465] PartLoader Warning: Variable Ki not found in CommandPod
[ERR 04:22:42.468] Cannot find a Module of typename 'BOSS'
[ERR 04:22:42.468] Cannot find a Module of typename 'HullCamera'
[WRN 04:22:42.468] Could not create PartResource of type 'Resolution

Anyone? Is this benign or an issue?

The cameras' part.cfg files include modules for L-tech Science Stuff and the telescopes include modules for BOSS.

Because you don't have those mods installed it gives you these messages.

They are not required and the messages wont affect you gameplay.

Is there any benefit to the resolution + and - keys? I haven't seen a difference but it might apply to later cameras in the tech tree or something.

It only works on cameras with which include a zoom function.

Thanks for this great mod! One thing about the controls:

Controls:

Next camera: - (Minus)

Previous camera: = (Equals)

Exits hullcam view: Backspace

You can change these keys by editting \Gamedata\HullcameraVDS\Plugin\settings.cfg

As someone who uses a German keyboard, it was incumbent upon me to customize the key bindings in settings.cfg. I was unsure about the correct syntax for keystrokes in this case, but I think I've figured it out. For anyone else wondering about that, here is a link to the Unity Script Reference, which contains the list of KeyCode values.

The cameras' part.cfg files include modules for L-tech Science Stuff and the telescopes include modules for BOSS.

Thanks, got the L-tech dependency fixed but what part/module/mod/thingy is BOSS? I selectively load things to keep memory down and texture quality up so I may have the mod but not recognize the specific component

Any reason why I can leave the camera view? I have Activate set to AG10 and Deactivate set to 9, but deactivate doesn't work. Instead it flashes the default view when pressed. Only way to get out of is to revert back to the VAB where sometimes I notice it takes half the launch pad back in with it O.o

yea I've had this issue as well. To get around it I just right-click on the camera and select Activate Camera which puts me in camera view mode, then I set up a shot, F2 to disable the UI and snap the shot with F1 (or click the photo button if I'm doing this for science), then F2 to bring back UI, click Activate again and that returns me to normal view

I've been thinking of a way in which this mod, RPM and Remote tech could be combined to produce an IVA control cockpit or such for docking or rovers etc. This may be completely impossible but it'd be truly awesome, especially if RT could be integrated to limit video feed range and/or incrementally add image distortion with distance.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey AlbertVDS - I've been playing KSP for over a year but just got around to trying your mod today. For some reason, I'm being bitten by the bug that prevents exiting the camera view (Backspace stops working, seemingly at random), and if I change camera views too often the game will prevent me from even changing cameras. Last time it crashed it also crashed MechJeb, my entire Toolbar, etc. My KSP.log file was filled with thousands and thousands of lines of null reference exceptions.

Now admittedly, I also installed a few other mods today (Rasterprop Monitors and the last dev version of Scansat) but 1) this launch was a probe and RPM isn't applicable, and 2) I have Scansat parts on this probe but none of them working/active. Just swapping camera views seems to be what kills KSP.

With so many other mods having to be recompiled for the new version of Unity, do you plan to release a maintenance update any time soon? Thank you.

I've been thinking of a way in which this mod, RPM and Remote tech could be combined to produce an IVA control cockpit or such for docking or rovers etc. This may be completely impossible but it'd be truly awesome, especially if RT could be integrated to limit video feed range and/or incrementally add image distortion with distance.

Sound like you should try http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/67450

Albert VDS, I need some help about the latest version 0.2.9.1.

It works fine, when I install it on a clean version of KSP (0.23.5.464).

However, on my heavily modded main KSP install (same version), where I already had working the previous HullCamVDS version (released Dec 30), installing the new version (or even only the new plugin from it) causes KSP to hang while loading. In the initial screen, it shows "HullcamVDS/Parts/aerocam/part/aerocam" when hanged. From KSP.log, the last lines:

[LOG 01:01:33.245] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'HullCameraVDS/Parts/aerocam/part/aerocam'
[WRN 01:01:33.258] PartLoader Warning: Variable impactTolerance not found in Part
[EXC 01:01:33.260] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Finding what is wrong here is beyond my possibilities, but I hope that warning message could suggest something to you. Not sure if that missing variable is tied to your plugin (but is the only thing changed when the issue is present).

BTW, could you please update the sourcecode linked in the OP? It seems to be months old, so I can't find from it an answer to my question above.

EDIT: if it helps, output_log.txt; the relevant data seems to begin at line 32180.

Edited by diomedea

I'm getting the same:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at MuMechModuleHullCamera.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
UnityEngine.GameObject:Internal_AddComponentWithType(Type)
UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
Part:AddModule(String)
Part:AddModule(ConfigNode)
PartLoader:ParsePart(UrlConfig, ConfigNode)
:MoveNext()

Also, it looks like the link to the source files is outdated, linking to the source of 0.2.7 instead of the latest version.

Edited by blizzy78

@LameLefty: Please try the newest version(0.2.9.1) which was just posted. :)

Hi Albert - thanks for the recompiled version. Unfortunately, as soon as I install the new .dll and try to load my current Career save, KSP totally goes bonkers. I get dozens of on-screen error messages that my current craft files (ships, stations, even asteroids) cannot be loaded because of problems with their parts. After clicking through all of these errors, I find that every ship, station, base, asteroid and crew member is gone. In the R&D Center nearly every single part is simply not there. Hovering over each unlocked node just shows an empty window with no listings. Oddly enough, my previously-planted flags remain untouched. Almost every part is missing in the VAB as well.

Restoring my KSP installation from an hour or two before and using the glitchy earlier version of the .dll does not cause this problem.

Albert VDS, I need some help about the latest version 0.2.9.1.

It works fine, when I install it on a clean version of KSP (0.23.5.464).

However, on my heavily modded main KSP install (same version), where I already had working the previous HullCamVDS version (released Dec 30), installing the new version (or even only the new plugin from it) causes KSP to hang while loading. In the initial screen, it shows "HullcamVDS/Parts/aerocam/part/aerocam" when hanged.

I have exactly the same problem.

There seems to be 2 versions of 2.9.1 floating around.

Earlier today I downloaded 2.91

Then just now I downloaded 2.9.1

The first works fine, the second hangs on loading. Can anyone confirm these are 2 different versions? The first works fine on my heavy modded 0.23.5

I can email someone the working one if anyone wants to check it out.