[1.1]Hullcam VDS - mod adopted by linuxgamer

Albert VDS

Anyone else having problems with the camera views getting stuck? I haven't done much troubleshooting yet but it seems that I keep getting stuck on a certain camera and nothing I do will get me to another camera or back to normal view.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone else having problems with the camera views getting stuck? I haven't done much troubleshooting yet but it seems that I keep getting stuck on a certain camera and nothing I do will get me to another camera or back to normal view.

Hello!

I'm having the same problem, as well as camera view freezing(?) when reverting. It isn't really crashing KSP, but without the UI, it's unusable, forcing one to kill and restart.

I also have HyperEdit and MechJeb installed, but I didn't think they were a problem. Are they?

@Agathorn: Could you change DebugOutput to true in GameData/HullcameraVDS/Plugins/settings.cfg, try to recreate the bug and then upload the KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt?

At this point I'm wondering if I have the correct version, and/or if I've installed correctly or not. The download doesn't contain "GameData/HullcameraVDS/...", but does have "Parts/..." and "Plugins/...", which has the settings.cfg file.

So, my questions are...

Does HyperEdit and/or MechJeb conflict with this mod?

Is this the correct download (follows)?

http://www./download/dtl1pgmp8mjghzc/HullCameraVDS.V0.33.zip

Thanks much for maintaining this mod, and in advance for any help.

HyperEdit and MechJeb shouldn't interfere with this mod. The link you posted is the latest one.

I couldn't recreate the bug your posting. Do you have a way to sure way to reproduce it?

I read a little more in this thread and learned/tried the minus and equals keys, which do work to cycle between all cams, including the normal view; this wasn't clear to me before. This seems to fix the only major problem I had. :)

On a minor note, I did notice after right-clicking a cam, that the view seemed to have all the parts' context menus flickering around real fast, but right-clicking the background stopped that. So, not really an issue - just thought you might want to know.

Thanks for the quick reply! I guess I just need to read up on this mod more. :blush:

This mod has a very serious bug where after cycling through cameras for a bit, it will break and leave you stuck in a view with no way to fix it :(

I have been trying to track down the cause of it with no luck so far. I find it odd that you can't reproduce it because it happens to me every single flight.

I want to do some YouTube videos with this but it just won't work for me :(

This error I am pasting below comes using the cameras through kOS during my prelaunch display, but it happens even if used with actino groups. Try setting up some action groups for say 5 cameras with each action group set to "Enable Camera" and then rapidly move through them.

Some things that might help:

1. I am using the Booster Cam

2. I am only using the Enable Camera action. I am not calling Disable Camera, so maybe that has something to do with it.

[LOG 23:27:02.359] System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'System.Func`2' from assembly 'mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'.
at MuMechModuleHullCamera.EnableCamera () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at BaseEvent.Invoke () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at kOS.Suffixed.Part.PartModuleFields.CallKSPEvent (System.String suffixName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke (object,object[],System.Exception&)
at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Edited by Agathorn

@Agathorn: Thanks for you bug report. Now was able to reproduce the bug.

Here's what I did. Enable a camera and then cycle through them.

Then you're unable to return to the main camera and only cycling through the hullcams work.

Is that what you are getting?

As an alternative you could use - and = to cycle through the camera's instead of using the action groups.

I'll fix this in the next update.

@Agathorn: Thanks for you bug report. Now was able to reproduce the bug.

Here's what I did. Enable a camera and then cycle through them.

Then you're unable to return to the main camera and only cycling through the hullcams work.

Is that what you are getting?

As an alternative you could use - and = to cycle through the camera's instead of using the action groups.

I'll fix this in the next update.

Its a bit random in how it manifests, but that is one way. The other is it will get stuck on one or two of the hull cams, and the rest will stop working. Or get stuck on one. But I think its all the same bug.

Its a bit random in how it manifests, but that is one way. The other is it will get stuck on one or two of the hull cams, and the rest will stop working. Or get stuck on one. But I think its all the same bug.

Just to be certain, this only happens when using action group, right?

Just to be certain, this only happens when using action group, right?

Pretty sure i've had it happen using next/previous cam buttons (the -= buttons) as well.

Is there a work around until the next version? Maybe I need to make sure to DEACTIVATE one camera before moving to the next? Though that would show the main view which I don't really want.

A quick test using the '-' and '=' keys and it didn't bug out for me. Though it sees that '=' will stop cycling cameras after the last(first?) one and go back to the main view and then if I keep hitting '=' nothing happens. Whereas '-' will keep looping through indefinitely.

The big problem of course with the Next/Previous buttons is I really only one to use one camera on each side of the booster cam, so cycling through them makes every other one, one I don't want to see :)

Edited by Agathorn

Great mod!

Agathorn; Did you try pressing V? Switching camera disable... cameras

Albert VDS; Just an idea, could you add display parts that connect to camera input? So that we can make cockpit with real screens and see multiple perspective of the game in 1 screenshot.

• 2 weeks later...

hi there. im working on a camera based mod and i have a weird issue i think u might have met already. when im looking at kerbin with my camera and flying away, at 100k the planet disappears. if i understand well, thats the point when the scenery change from the normal view to the scaled down view, but how to solve it so my cam dont notice it? thanks for the help :)

hi there. im working on a camera based mod and i have a weird issue i think u might have met already. when im looking at kerbin with my camera and flying away, at 100k the planet disappears. if i understand well, thats the point when the scenery change from the normal view to the scaled down view, but how to solve it so my cam dont notice it? thanks for the help :)

Didn't have any problem with that. I see you are using a part as a viewport, maybe you should look at Raster Prop Monitor to see how Mihara handled it.

Pretty sure i've had it happen using next/previous cam buttons (the -= buttons) as well.

Is there a work around until the next version? Maybe I need to make sure to DEACTIVATE one camera before moving to the next? Though that would show the main view which I don't really want.

A quick test using the '-' and '=' keys and it didn't bug out for me. Though it sees that '=' will stop cycling cameras after the last(first?) one and go back to the main view and then if I keep hitting '=' nothing happens. Whereas '-' will keep looping through indefinitely.

The big problem of course with the Next/Previous buttons is I really only one to use one camera on each side of the booster cam, so cycling through them makes every other one, one I don't want to see :)

There is a bug where the menu you get from clicking escape no longer works and the screen and altimeter goes black from when I tried to revert to launch while looking through a camera, bug I've been unable to reproduce the bug. Strangely, ever since that bug occured, when I restart KSP the "-" and =" keys no longer switch me from the stock camera to the VDS camera, though I can still use "-" to switch out of VDS camera. Tested on the Kerbpro. "=" couldn't switch me from stock to VDS camera even before the bug, though it could still switch from VDS camera to stock.

IMO that "=" doesn't switch out of stock camera needs to be a feature, not a bug, since sometimes it's hard to get out of VDS camera's and into stock cameras when switching between a ton of different cameras.

Groundhog Post: Rewriting the same post multiple times because a "feature" on the keyboard sends one to a different webpage.

Now that I have the bug report out of the way, here is some feedback for Albert VDS:

1. The KerbPro is the _ONLY_ camera that zooms in far enough to be used as a sniper scope at 800m. Please extend this feature to at least one more camera.

2. The KerbPro has no "inline" node, so it is nearly impossible to place it on the exact center of a ship so that is lines up with long range weaponry.

3. The KerbPro has no "control from here" or "rotate view by 90 degrees" feature, so if I rotate the camera wrong relative to the nearest pod/probe/docking node, my control scheme gets messed up.

4. None of the cameras have an aiming reticule. I can sort of make ironsights out of structural parts but it doesn't work very well.

5. None of the cameras have a "set zoom to 1/2" or "cycle between fixed zoom levels" feature, so I can't have two cameras zoomed in by the exact same amount.

I realize I don't use your mod the way you intended it, but I believe at least some of my suggestions could benefit all styles of play. And, just because someone's gonna tell me to use the Cupola, I'll end by pointing out that the Y axis of the IVA camera is off center.

Hi, love the mod, wanted to ask a question.

Is there a mod that extends the range which you can see planetary bodiers from, withoutalso showing vessels and such?

Basically, I want to use my Space Telescope to look at Jool, Duna, etc, without loading in every craft I have in orbit.

Slam_Jones Im pretty sure the stock game already allows it. But it's very, very hard to find the planets with manual controls. Install MechJeb and use the SmartAss targeting. And make sure your craft has a good amount of SAS and balance helps a great deal too with accuracy and image stability.

Question. With HullcamVDS is it possible to switch to a camera that is not on the active vessel and continue to have control over said vessel? It was possible. Years ago with a camera mod that used a model very similar to the smallest version available in Hullcam. I forget how it worked, but I was able to switch to the camera on a rover while still having control of my rocket. They were fixed keys instead of action groups perhaps..

Edited by Motokid600

Slam_Jones Im pretty sure the stock game already allows it. But it's very, very hard to find the planets with manual controls. Install MechJeb and use the SmartAss targeting. And make sure your craft has a good amount of SAS and balance helps a great deal too with accuracy and image stability.

I sure hope so, but I'm not so sure it is. I've looked very hard for them (matching up star patterns in map view and vessel view), and the furthest I can see in Minmus.

I've tried looking from the ground (to get rid of star noise) and from space, but couldn't spot any.

Also, about switching cameras, yes. You can use - and = to change cameras in the area. I've been able to switch to a camera on a base, and control (poorly) the glider I had cruising by. Just make sure you switch back to the right camera before you leave physics range.

Edit: You were right, Motokid. I set up another telescope at the launchpad, and realized I could, in fact, see Jool, it's moons, and Eve, though they looked a little weird due to texture issues. No biggie tho.

CkKeQjv.jpg
Edited by Slam_Jones