[1.1]Hullcam VDS - mod adopted by linuxgamer

Albert VDS

Im having trouble figuring out which mod scott manley used in the latest episode of spaceships are serious business, the ones with "returnable film". Can anyone point me in the right direction?

5 hours ago, Whovian41110 said:

The camera works it's just the switch between cameras that doesn't  i.e. I can click activate camera but when I press the next/previous button the camera does nothing

EDIT It now works.  No clue why

I assume you did restart the game after editing the file?

anyway, if it's working, then I'll assume it was glitch.  Glad it works now

On 1/31/2016 at 8:52 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

I would have done this on github, but there isn't a github repository.

Also, the source code is residing on Mediafire, please note that the forum is totally disallowing links to mediafire.  I'd suggest moving the code somewhere else (github is my suggestion)

==============================================================

Can the latest source code please be made available, according to the forum rules?

Currently on mediafire, it is version 0.3, but the download is 0.51

Thanks

Seconded. Could we please get an update to the source code files.

13 hours ago, Jso said:

Seconded. Could we please get an update to the source code files.

http://www./download/85411817881jbzz/HullcamVDS0.50-src.zip

The 0.51 update was apparently only a recompile for 1.0.5

The url isn't allowed since it's on mediafire, just add mediafire dot com

Edited by linuxgurugamer

7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

http://www./download/85411817881jbzz/HullcamVDS0.50-src.zip

The 0.51 update was apparently only a recompile for 1.0.5

The url isn't allowed since it's on mediafire, just add mediafire dot com

Thank you. I was using the link on Kerbal Stuff and getting the 0.3 files. Got the right ones now.

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 6:43 PM, Errol said:

Im having trouble figuring out which mod scott manley used in the latest episode of spaceships are serious business, the ones with "returnable film". Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I think it just comes with realism overhaul, as part of the pack. Not sure which mod, but it might be the actual RO mod itself.

Edit - You could download RO, then find it in the gamedata, and copy it over to whatever install you want it on.

Edited by AviatorTrainman
New Idea

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, is there any known funkiness with the shielded docking port's camera?

I was getting weird results last night.  The not-shielded docking port of the same size worked perfectly, but when trying to activate or cycle to the shielded one, I instead got a random view of space (not in the direction the port was facing) without any overlay and couldn't backspace back to ordinary camera view without switching vessels.

There were other mods in play and I haven't even looked at the log, so don't take this as a proper bug report.  Just fishing to see if anyone else has encountered this behavior.  If I have time to play tonight, I'll get more details.

So, I just discovered docking cameras and they've official become my favorite way to dock.

I know this isn't your responsibility at all, but is there a way to exploit module manager to add docking cameras to all my mods that have their own docking nodes--they seem to be compatible with Squad's docking ports, so maybe the camera function can be applied to the actual docking function rather than individual parts?

Either way, fantastic job, Albert!

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, ZedMC said:

There is a bug, the game crashes to desktop with no error dialog when I try to recover my ship, i'm using HullcamVDS 0.51 and KSP 1.0.5

How many / what other mods are you currently running? Windows, Linux, OSX?

Edited by V8jester

22 minutes ago, ZedMC said:

@V8jester I'm using PlanetShine, Distant Object Enhancement, EVE, skybox mod, engine light, and some suits replacement mod.

I use Windows 7 64 bit

If that is all the mods you are using then you really shouldn't need to use 64bit, which has problems and is not supported.  

16 minutes ago, eberkain said:

If that is all the mods you are using then you really shouldn't need to use 64bit, which has problems and is not supported.  

So suite replacement mod would also meant texture replacer I would assume. I also Assume you do have Module Manager installed.... Honestly the only mod you have I don't (on top of my 98 others ;)) is engine light. I run the x64 hack with no ill effects (user result drastically very) Have you tried a fresh re install of everything? New game, new save (keep your ships folder though). Something my be botched in your install. And while a full reinstall seem drastic. When you start modding as heavily as I have, you learn it can be easier to just wipe everything and start fresh. Are you on steam or the regular zip file install?

@eberkain Technically, i can't not use x64, because that's my OS, 64 bit, lol

@V8jester No, i don't have module manager, what is the difference between using and not using x64 hack? What do you get from it? and by the way, the game no longer crashes lol, i think yesterday crash is just random one.

21 minutes ago, ZedMC said:

@eberkain Technically, i can't not use x64, because that's my OS, 64 bit, lol

@V8jester No, i don't have module manager, what is the difference between using and not using x64 hack? What do you get from it? and by the way, the game no longer crashes lol, i think yesterday crash is just random one.

You'll need MM for sure go grab that and see if your problems go away.

By using the x64 workaround you will raise your memory limit from 3.5 GB to whatever you have installed. So like I said, I'm running over 100 mods and it runs like a champ. But not everyone has had great luck with x64 (personally I think it's more to do with people not setting it up right)

4 minutes ago, V8jester said:

You'll need MM for sure go grab that and see if your problems go away.

By using the x64 workaround you will raise your memory limit from 3.5 GB to whatever you have installed. So like I said, I'm running over 100 mods and it runs like a champ. But not everyone has had great luck with x64 (personally I think it's more to do with people not setting it up right)

@V8jester There's two options, CKAN and MM, which one is better? could you give me a link to x64 hack? :)

42 minutes ago, ZedMC said:

@V8jester There's two options, CKAN and MM, which one is better? could you give me a link to x64 hack? :)

I personally recommend stay away from CKAN it's a lazy way to install mods and it often goofs them up. I recommend just manually installing mods. And any time you see mods with the exact same plugins, just delete the older one. Helps keep the mod folder clean. MM will usually weed out the older plugins and just use the newest ones. But like I said keeps things clean.

x64 Work Around

64bit Unfixer - for removing the 64bit block by some mods like FAR (Devs will absolutely not support any issues you may have so use at your own risk)

Edited by V8jester

32 minutes ago, V8jester said:

I personally recommend stay away from CKAN it's a lazy way to install mods and it often goofs them up. I recommend just manually installing mods.

WoW.... And I thought "I" was the only one who believes this... YEEE-aaayyy!!.. I'm not alone... :)

Although I almost think the same about the 64x hack...lol ;)

1 hour ago, ZedMC said:

Technically, i can't not use x64, because that's my OS, 64 bit, lol

ACtually, you're confusing the OS and the game... If you have a 32bit OS, you can ONLY run 32bit programs... If you have a 64bit OS, you can run BOTH 32bit AND 64 bit programs.

KSP was originally designed as a 32bit program... Then IIRC KSP v0.24 introduced the first 64bit version of the game... However, it was a flop, due to the limitations of the Unity game engine, so Squad dropped it and KSP is back to only having a 32bit version... What people refer to the "64bit workaround", or "64bit hack", or just "64bit", is just that: a hack that (I believe) uses the failed 64bit version, to get around some of the limitations... It can be unstable, and if you throw in lots of mods (which is the whole point why people use it), then you are multiplying the instability, AND you have to hack some of the mods ALSO to work with the hack.... So people dont really want to spend a lot of time helping people to troubleshoot these types of game installs...

Thats why you'll see people ask what version of KSP, or OS they are using...

Then to add to the confusion, there IS a working 32bit AND 64bit KSP version for Linux users... ;)

Edited by Stone Blue

As @Stone Blue said some people are experiencing instability with x64. I have played extensively with 32 and 64bit modded installs.

In my case, 64bit has the exact same instability (memory leak) that 32bit has. And each will crash when you bounce in and out of the VAB / SPH with high part count ships. Just a limitation of KSP as they are still working out the kinks. There are high hope 1.1 will bring with it a much more stable 32 and 64 bit version.

But hey I don't mean to start a x64 war (there is too much of that going on already) plain and simple. Just play with your install and see what works best for you. The only person that has to like it is you after all :) 

19 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

ACtually, you're confusing the OS and the game... If you have a 32bit OS, you can ONLY run 32bit programs... If you have a 64bit OS, you can run BOTH 32bit AND 64 bit programs.

KSP was originally designed as a 32bit program... Then IIRC KSP v0.24 introduced the first 64bit version of the game... However, it was a flop, due to the limitations of the Unity game engine, so Squad dropped it and KSP is back to only having a 32bit version... What people refer to the "64bit workaround", or "64bit hack", or just "64bit", is just that: a hack that (I believe) uses the failed 64bit version, to get around some of the limitations... It can be unstable, and if you throw in lots of mods (which is the whole point why people use it), then you are multiplying the instability, AND you have to hack some of the mods ALSO to work with the hack.... So people dont really want to spend a lot of time helping people to troubleshoot these types of game installs...

Thats why you'll see people ask what version of KSP, or OS they are using...

Then to add to the confusion, there IS a working 32bit AND 64bit KSP version for Linux users... ;)

Okay.. now i'm just hoping that Squad updated the game to Unity 5 and make it work properly with 64 bit OS, we really need that.

5 hours ago, ZedMC said:

Okay.. now i'm just hoping that Squad updated the game to Unity 5 and make it work properly with 64 bit OS, we really need that.

Guys as @Red Iron Crown has mentioned we have derailed far enough. Lets stop / move this discussion to a more suitable thread. I am equally blamed for this as well but lets move on.

Edited by V8jester

I had this mod installed and I made a rover with a camera on it, and as I sent it into orbit the camera was slowly getting more messed up as the rocket ascended. It seems like the centre of mass was slowly getting shifted toward the back of the rocket, and it kept going until it was completely behind the craft and I would have to zoom the camera at weird angles just to see it, because the camera was focusing on the buggy centre of mass. I uninstalled Hullcam, booted up the game again, and made the same craft minus the camera, and it was fixed. While the bug was happening, the debug log was being spammed with this line:

[Exception]: TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'Vector3d' from assembly 'Assembly-CSharp, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

1 hour ago, yorshee said:

I had this mod installed and I made a rover with a camera on it, and as I sent it into orbit the camera was slowly getting more messed up as the rocket ascended. It seems like the centre of mass was slowly getting shifted toward the back of the rocket, and it kept going until it was completely behind the craft and I would have to zoom the camera at weird angles just to see it, because the camera was focusing on the buggy centre of mass. I uninstalled Hullcam, booted up the game again, and made the same craft minus the camera, and it was fixed. While the bug was happening, the debug log was being spammed with this line:

[Exception]: TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'Vector3d' from assembly 'Assembly-CSharp, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

Did you have any quantum struts or active struts on this craft? They will act all buggy like that if you attach them to a physics less part.

Also was this in 1.0.5 or was this 1.1?

I don't have 1.1 yet so I won't be much help there.

Edited by V8jester