[1.1]Hullcam VDS - mod adopted by linuxgamer

Albert VDS

All the Cameras work fine, but my problem is, that I can't get the keybindings to work, maybe it's cause I'm using a QWERTZ keyboard. And if I use for example "O" as next camera it won't work...

So I hope you know a way to fix this :)

...but my problem is, that I can't get the keybindings to work...

Pardon me to ask for a quick clarification:

are you looking for a way to change your bound keys? Or are you having a problem with your keyboard and the bounds that you already changed?

If it's the first one, then you can change your key bindings for 'next camera' and 'previous camera' by editing the settings.cfg of the mod. Just navigate your Kerbal Space folder to \GameData\HullCameraVDS\Plugins and then open the .cfg file that you find inside there. Once you open that file in a text editor look for this section of code, and change the values for 'primary' to whatever key you want the function bound to.

CAMERA_NEXT
{
primary = Minus
secondary = None
group = 0
switchState = Any
}
CAMERA_PREV
{
primary = Equals
secondary = None
group = 0
switchState = Any
}
CAMERA_RESET
{
primary = Backspace
secondary = None
group = 0
switchState = Any
}

But if you're having trouble with your hardware (the QWERTZ keyboard) then I'm sorry to say that I can't really help you work around that issue. I'll admit my lack of experience when it comes to hardware :confused:

I found a bug. If you look through a camera attached to a part that despawns (SRBs, typically), when returning to normal view you cannot rotate or zoom. This also makes the game unstable and sometime freezes, especially when using the Esc menu.

FYI the latest LTech update changes things so that the Science Cam from HullCamVDS now only sends 1Mit of data per image. Use this to get back to 70Mits as proper until VDS can release a new version

@PART[hc_scicam]{
@MODULE[HullCamera]
{
picdatval = 3.5
}
}

I'm experimenting some weird behaviour: RPM can only access one of the two cameras from the BoosterCam. Why is that? Does anyone have the same issue?

From the RPM Github and/or GameData\JSI\RasterPropMonitor\ThirdPartySupport\hullcam-models-as-external-cameras.cfg:

// It is, unfortunately, impossible to correctly set up this particular model

// to have two RPM cameras at once. It needs to actually have at least one more

// named transform for this.

Have this error in the x64 output log

[ModStatistics] Error while inspecting assembly HullCamera. This probably means that HullCamera is targeting a runtime other than .NET 3.5. Please notify the author of HullCamera of this error.

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'System.Runtime.Versioning.TargetFrameworkAttribute' from assembly 'HullCamera'.

Have this error in the x64 output log

[ModStatistics] Error while inspecting assembly HullCamera. This probably means that HullCamera is targeting a runtime other than .NET 3.5. Please notify the author of HullCamera of this error.

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'System.Runtime.Versioning.TargetFrameworkAttribute' from assembly 'HullCamera'.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, that just means that HullCamera hasn't been rebuilt for 0.24 and doesn't actually affect anything.

Albert VDS, I don't think I've actually thanked you for creating this yet. It's awesome – it makes probe rovers fun. Even at 8 m/s, they're much more enjoyable in first person with zoom (and pan and tilt using IR).

Not sure if this is a bug, or the fact that I shouldn't be using this with 0.24 yet...

Sometimes when I enter a camera view, I am not allowed to switch away from it. Ever. No amount of mashing +/-/Backspace helps.

Maybe I'll just wait. :C

I have a problem: I can't edit the key for resetting the camera.

By default, the key is backspace but it can cause some problem when you have an abort stage.

I tried to remap the key to "enter" but it doesn't work; what did I do wrong?

here's my attempt to edit the settings:

HullCameraVDSConfig

{

CAMERA_NEXT

{

primary = Minus

secondary = None

group = 0

switchState = Any

}

CAMERA_PREV

{

primary = Equals

secondary = None

group = 0

switchState = Any

}

CAMERA_RESET

{

primary = Enter

secondary = None

group = 0

switchState = Any

}

}

If you're asking whether this works with RPM, then yes it does. You'll notice a Camera button on the RPM display that you can use to select different cameras - make sure you change the ID numbers of the cameras if you have more than 1

Also, if AlbertVDS comes back around anytime I was wondering if the zoom on the cameras could be modified to be more realistic. Right now the zoom seems to affect the entire viewport, so the Sun and background stars also become larger. This really shouldn't happen because they are too far away for the meager zoom levels on such a camera to make any difference. I think a better solution would be to actually move the game camera itself out ahead of the craft, if that's possible. That should bring the close objects closer (like the surface of a planet) but leave the background stars looking much the same. Basically, I'm looking for the same effect you get zooming in and out in the Tracking Station or Map screen. Planets get big and small but the background stays the same

Also, if AlbertVDS comes back around anytime I was wondering if the zoom on the cameras could be modified to be more realistic. Right now the zoom seems to affect the entire viewport, so the Sun and background stars also become larger. This really shouldn't happen because they are too far away for the meager zoom levels on such a camera to make any difference. I think a better solution would be to actually move the game camera itself out ahead of the craft, if that's possible. That should bring the close objects closer (like the surface of a planet) but leave the background stars looking much the same. Basically, I'm looking for the same effect you get zooming in and out in the Tracking Station or Map screen. Planets get big and small but the background stays the same

Um, that's not actually how it works... ? When you take a camera and zoom in, it's basically like looking at a smaller portion of the image, so everything will look closer. In fact, this is what allows photographers to make the real Moon look huge in the background by going far away from the subject and zooming in close. As you said, the effect you're thinking of would require a camera to physically move back and forth (as it does in the map screen), and that isn't technically a zoom.

I have a weird issue. The camera seems to be far off centre. When I select a camera it will show me a viewpoint very far behind the camera body. Like 20m off centre. Is this issue known? Strangely though, using Raster Prop Manager the internal displays show the correct camera positions, albeit slightly zoomed in.