Killing your Kerbals: does it make you feel bad?

Boris_T_Roach

wow a post from 2013, this might be one of the oldest necro'd posts I've seen!

On the whole, even in sandbox I try hard to keep them alive.  Especially the increasingly inaccurately named orange trio (of 4).

But am I concerned for my Kerbals? or is it in fact that I don't want to scratch the paint on my shiney new spacecraft!? I keep the craft safe, which just happens to mean the Kerbals on mission are safe too!

Loading a save game that is hours old may be a steep price some times, but that is the price I pay when I am not careful.

My Kerbals pay their dues with the sweat of their brow and their patience(sitting alone in a tin can all the way to Minmus for example). They do not pay in blood and tears.  That is what saved games and revert to launch are for.

Killing Kerbals? What's that? /jk

I always revert flights or quickload if something goes wrong so I haven't (permanently) killed a Kerbal in quite some time, although aircraft testing especially usually results in lots of mishaps that do (temporarily) terminate some unfortunate Kerbals who are resurrected a short time later to try again with a tweaked design (or less shoddy piloting at least).

That said, yes I do feel bad about killing them (which is why all of my designs are extensively tested using the methods described above so that I technically don't have any dead or stranded Kerbals).

I continue to proudly claim to have killed zero Kerbals since something like 0.20 (when I was just starting out and before I started counting).
Of course I do make liberal use of quicksaves, but recently I've never had to load a quicksave because of a death - only because of loss of an unmanned craft, me seeing that Kerbal deaths were imminent, etc.

2 minutes ago, parameciumkid said:

I continue to proudly claim to have killed zero Kerbals since something like 0.20 (when I was just starting out and before I started counting).
Of course I do make liberal use of quicksaves, but recently I've never had to load a quicksave because of a death - only because of loss of an unmanned craft, me seeing that Kerbal deaths were imminent, etc.

"Zero"

If a Kerbal dies I try not to press F9, but I still do sometimes. Every rocket I create that carries Kerbals has to have escape thrusters - this is especially true since I have the launch failure mod running, plus life support to worry about. I'm also sticking to tried and tested rockets/spacecraft that I know how to fly well.

I hate having Kervals die.  While I don't always have abort options, I use KCT, and as such I always run simulations of my design before I actually send it to be constructed.  That's not to say I've never had any accidents, but so far, in this career mode anyways, they've all been ones my Kerbals could walk away from.  In past versions though, I have had Kerbals die on me, most namely one that died in a botched Minmus extreme EVA, and one flew an airplane into the side of a mountain when descending through the clouds.

For me its not the kerbals but the trains themselves..specificly the locomotives

The very heart and soul of a train

From the moment the engines start in a cloud of smoke.. Throttle brought upto idle and headlights start to glow brightly.

A trains soul is reborn.. For the lucky ones it means just a local trip to the mountains or some yard shunting..

But for the unlucky..they pass that 30km threshhold that means a train and her crew are left to thier own for survival and any incident bad enough means that all is lost and yet another class number is added on the side of a sister minted with the same hopes as her fallen classmate

..that new trains first mission then involves rescuing any remaining crew from her fallen sister train and planting a flag in her honour.. Eventually slowly proceeding through the wreck with engines at a respectful low rpm as the wreck fades smaller in the distance..

Its not easy to be optimistic about a journey given the origins.. And its always a great hope that... This time.. This locomotive...this train is the one to succeed

My list is great.. Both sad and an honour to behold

44 class from 4403 to 4409 lived eventful lives..achieved much.. Some even had 100s of kilometres in experience.. 

4409 went in a firey explosion battling a mountain with twin generator failure.. Being the most emotional loss thats noteworthy

4410 to 4425 some still live on as yard shunters..others retired..4402 is in space orbiting kerbin :)

40 class D4001 to 4015 lived assorted lives too detailed to mention..

Noteworthy would be 4016..still functional yet impaired parked 80km from KSC with broken front wheels awaiting recovery

Its never easy..but if it was...it wouldnt be the same

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.