Salyut 1, 4 and 6/7

The Salyut programme was the first space station program undertaken by the Soviet Union, which consisted of a series of four crewed scientific research space stations (Salyut 1, 4, 6 and 7) and two crewed military reconnaissance space stations (Salyut 3 and 5) over a period of 15 years from 1971 to 1986. It was, on the one hand, designed to carry out long-term research into the problems of living in space and a variety of astronomical, biological and Earth-resources experiments, and on the other hand this civilian program was used as a cover for the highly secretive military Almaz stations, which flew as well under the Salyut designation.

First things first, I can't take full credit for these craft. Salyut 4 and 6 based on Halfury's Salyut 1, and I've included my version of it as well. The lovely Proton launcher used to launch them was built by Darth Lazarus, with some minor aesthetic modifications.

The last stage has retros and a probe core for deorbiting. In a 75km orbit, the retros should push it at least into a decaying orbit. You can choose to push the station higher before you decouple. However, the retros will then not suffice and you'll need some vapours left in the stage to deorbit it completely (or blow it up from the tracking station).

The stations are meant to be sent up without kerbals (they have a probe core), and have one or two jr. docking ports (because my Soyuz en Progress have those), but with a quick fix you could strap on a normal sized one if you like. When launching, press 2 to drop all of the fairing bits. Be careful though, if you jettison them in thick atmosphere they will fall back due to the air resistance and damage the station. Once in orbit, press 1 to activate the station. Each station is also self-propelled, it has LFO engines and a significant amount RCS.

*Soyuz and Progress capsules not included

Edited by Kurotenshi
Craft update

very well done Kuro ! :) i love the Mini Progress, very clever use of parts going to copy it too :cool: but tehj first thing i had in mind, after seeing your Proton was "let's put my Proton under Salyut 6 muhahaha" XD still has to finish my Plan B munmission and Mir bevor sending mroe stuff into LKO.

keep the good work.

Amazing! I really like how you used radial RCS tanks on the orbital module of your Soyuz ; something I have never been able to get right. From here onwards I will shamelessly copy your Soyuz design :sticktongue: (though I won't claim it as my own).

That's an awfully smart use use of rover bodies, if only for looks :). Now if you added a small fuel tank and radial thrusters, perhaps a reaction wheel instead of the extra batteries, it would be an even more accurate replica. But just because I can't comment without suggesting improvements :P

Rune. Is also a fan of russian rockets.

Suggestions are always welcome :) And I had completely overlooked the thrusters, I need to do my research better :P I've learnt a lot by looking into the different project, but I know I've only just begun. I'm still learning how to do awesome aesthetics in KSP as well, looking a lot to other designers. I never fiddle with their craft files, I always build my craft from the ground up, replicating what I've seen on my own. I think that's the best way to learn stuff. So with that mentioned, I can't really take credit for the rover bodies, I saw that on Halfury's Salyut 1, which is why I mentioned him :)

I'll post an update of some craft in a few weeks, including this. But right now real life demands most of my time, so priorities... If I could only play KSP for a living :D

To my knowledge, Salyut 6, Salyut 7, Mir, and the Zvezda SM on the ISS all have thrusters on them to propel themselves/the station they're a part of. I too wasn't aware they had thrusters until I read about them on Wiki once upon a time, one can hardly see the thrusters in the photos of the spacecrafts!

I suggest using the new radial Ant engines introduced with 0.21 to replicate them, in a 4-way symmetry arrangement clipped vertically into the shallow Rockomax adapter, the thrust the radial Ants provide is just perfect for the occasion.

Found the time to update Salyut 6 :)

The craft now has the Proton launcher from Darth Lazarus, because as he said, it is waaaaaay better than mine was :P Further I made some small aesthetical changes, and built a new fairing

@ Arthur, to keep it more accurate I used a 2-way symmetry, as the Salyut 6 only had two small engines, on opposites sides of the rear docking port.

Hope you guys like the update, I'll update the pics sometime soon

I wasn't aware the Salyuts only had 2 engines, haha. Learned something new!

I really have to get around to finding more info on the thrusters that the Salyuts, Mir, and Zvezda have, the passing mention of them on Wiki clearly has not done them justice

Update-time!

I edited the first post so it looks a bit nicer, and it now has up to date pictures as well. I'm updating the Soyuz thread right now, so the links for the new crafts in the pictures should be up soon.

This will be the last update until the start of September, as I have some real-life stuff that need attending right now :)

Edited by Kurotenshi

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.