[SHOWCASE] Bring out your LANDERS!!

I see a bunch of showcase threads here, all cool. But one for landers seems to be missing. Time to start one! :D

Individual base modules and self-landing rovers (no skycrane needed) are also accepted. I'll start.

My Ketholander version 2. This thing can land, refuel, return to orbit with full kethane tanks, and land again without touching the kethane. I've done several iterations of these things but the base design is always pretty similar. Regardless, it can land with ALL tanks full on the Mun so it is certified for all airless bodies except Tylo (and hey, it might be able to land empty, refuel, take off, and make orbit by converting kethane mid-flight; UNTESTED).

lfll.png

Yeah, This one is my best one so far...

Can drive around and explore and then simply take-off back to orbit again from Most planets and moons. I stopped making legged landers when I found that doing them with wheels is not much more difficult. It sure is nice to be able to go look around instead of just survey the immediate surroundings. My first rover had to re-dock to the landing craft to get back to orbit. It is much more convenient to have the rover itself have the ability to re-orbit such as the one depicted below.

Hover Orbiter (HO2B)

2013-08-11_00005.jpg

I scrolled through a bunch of pages, I believe I got all the way to page 10, and didn't see one. If there is, it's long dormant.

Yup, found it on page 16, and there hasn't been activity for almost a month.

If you're interested: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/37745-Showcase-Post-your-Moon-Planet-Landers-Thread-Lander-building-guide

XD. I have a new interesting munlander I built. I'll get photos and add it. I really like the mechanism I used. The lander itself actually docks to a tanker/drive stage that then runs it interplanetary. Assuming I don't forget to disable crossfeed, it can get all the way to Duna and, assume I specialize the lander, all the way back (no guarantees of kerbin orbit, immediate return may be necessary).

EDIT: Let's try to keep this one on the front page then :D

Yeah, This one is my best one so far...

Can drive around and explore and then simply take-off back to orbit again from Most planets and moons. I stopped making legged landers when I found that doing them with wheels is not much more difficult. It sure is nice to be able to go look around instead of just survey the immediate surroundings. My first rover had to re-dock to the landing craft to get back to orbit. It is much more convenient to have the rover itself have the ability to re-orbit such as the one depicted below.

<SNIP>

What kinda engine clipping do you have going on there? It actually looks kinda like my jet engine mod part :D

ATM, this is the only thing I regularly use that could be called a lander.

It has a very characteristic stance with its angled leg pairs, and is a welcome sight for stranded kerbals.

It is a rescue/transport craft for the Kerbin Moons, and is closely based on my first successful three man land and return vessel, but far more efficient.

CRFJzPy.png

It lands with its leg tanks almost empty, these are decoupled on the way up, so they crash on the ground and are destroyed. At least, that's how it's supposed to work..

Edited by Tw1

Anyone have really tiny probe landers that could manage Bop, Pol, and Vall? I'm planning a large mission to Jool.

Although the craft files are long lost to the violence of the 0.21 update, I did land probes and rovers on all of Jool's moons except Tylo a while back with the Kodak Missions (Part 1 and Part 2). Feel free to check out those reports for inspiration!

pwCMokN.png

XqCJKJd.png

As for my current landers, of course there's the Munshine V Apollo-style two-stager:

oCvUbb7.png

And currently being tested as part of the MOdular Mission System (MOMS) is this yet unnamed surface shuttle, capable of ferrying six Kerbals to and from all solid bodies except Tylo and Eve (where it can land, but can't get back):

yidaj1m.png

Edited by Wayfare

Although the craft files are long lost to the violence of the 0.21 update, I did land probes and rovers on all of Jool's moons except Tylo a while back with the Kodak Missions (Part 1 and Part 2). Feel free to check out those reports for inspiration!

I like your lander design. Antennae on top, docking port/decoupler on the bottom, folding panels on the side, tall heavy legs, radial rockets, tall, thin profile. I based my design off yours, though with mods (I made it so my lander matches the style of my interplanetary vessel).

If it can land on the Mun, I'm sure it can manage Vall!

2idV8WN.jpg

Edited by Sapphire

I like your lander design. Antennae on top, docking port/decoupler on the bottom, folding panels on the side, tall heavy legs, radial rockets, tall, thin profile. I based my design off yours, though with mods (I made it so my lander matches the style of my interplanetary vessel).

If it can land on the Mun, I'm sure it can manage Vall!

Thanks! That's a sleek-looking lander, very nice. And yeah the Mun is a good proving ground for landers. If it can land there it can manage any non-atmospheric body except Tylo and Moho, and you generally only need to add some chutes to tackle Laythe and Duna.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I've had the greatest fun with my attempt at a one-fits-all lander.

Visiting far off places. -check

Finding I had to cut off excess drogue chutes before full-deployment to prevent rapid atmospheric dismantling in thick atmospheres. -check

Launching a 3 craft simultaneous sortie to Jool to take advantage of the launch window. -check

Solving the problem of Laythe by using the base-station as an elevated (and thusly disposable) launch pad for my Ascent Craft. -check

Using various engine combinations planned, and unplanned, in order to achieve various goals. -check

Immense satisfaction of having one Ascent Craft after another landing back on Kerbin, pilot intact and full of awe. -check

Edited by prysmatik

Hi all,

I'm a HUGE fan of KSP landers. It was my attempts at copying Mulbins Munbug from pictures alone that showed new ways of using the stock parts.

I'm totally hooked now! Here are a few of my landers.

CC47962E5E2F1995DD9B1609B90E81515D4E89FC

First landing on the VAB roof in the mini lotus

249754423C47981A642B9CCC32AD415A0054953C

A prototype, err.. stealth? no. umm. something lander, looks like batmans lander or something.

7D918F558684834B0A3AF5B646808372CF56C92A

'nother batman shot

2398A269C4B99FED082D0E5EF8552B2301347229

C64A4086F67F11A20D0EC48B1CA52B4D74A3160E

Love this thread, lots of cool landers here! Here are a few of my own:

Eve lander w/ rover:

YqjTwtS.jpg

Duna lander w/ rover: (that top part with the atomic rocket wasn't supposed to come down also lol)

dJjMBck.png

41II9J2.png

Tiny Dres lander:

q8UZon9.jpg

Checkin' out the SPH:

DKMWihw.png

3-rover delivery lander: (landing legs are underneath but don't need to extend)

ThEiqkt.jpg

• 1 month later...

any more landers? i want to see if anyone has developed a simple, cute one-kerbal lander that I can take on my first mission to Minmus (I know, ive been too busy developing shuttlecraft sstos to go anywhere but Low Kerbin Orbit and the Mun).

Here's a few of my favorite screenshots of landings I've accomplished.

Running around on the Mun...

Nina_zps9cfdd5c6.png

My Big entrance to Gilly

VoyagerLandingonGilly_zps1a3951ed.png

A trip to Moho with a small explorer

MohoExplorer-Rover_zpsb13e3477.png

Can you really call this a lander?

MinMusfueldepletor_zpsdca1e554.png

Edited by Jean Deaux

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.