Kerbin City Community Project - Phase B - New Islands

nothke

Who is this BlazingAngel664 guy who stole my plot? I want to have a little chat with him ;)

Yeah, I'm sorry, he PM-d me few seconds before you posted.. =P (correcting now)

I finished one ramp piece of expressway just to see if it's too steep and it works as intended, and it does.. Although it's a bit too high, so the ramps are steeper..

With this one dirt texture it really looks like Dubai before construction xD

Early aerobatics:

10VhYP3.jpg

No collision problems, amazing

wOOYRoW.jpg

And here's some hotrod action:

kcIHroZ.jpg

36aymWv.jpg

QksrBgs.jpg

oops, wheel's gone (I collided into wall not a random wheel falling off)

u3l1xST.jpg

CYQUtXp.jpg

well at least there's a wall..

SiDxeqR.jpg

And there is a little problem.. For I managed to fit the island to well into surroundings, but the terrain will get slightly into plot D4. Noone has taken it yet, but I recommend for it to be some sort of boring housing projects neighborhood xD so people are not really invited to go there and check the terrain going through the buildings

I'm looking at this project, and it looks amazing. I'd like to join you, it'd allow me to get better at modeling and texturing as well.

I'm going to apply for plot C2

Sorry, C2 is already taken by NGTOne, the only left now are B3 and D4 (D4 has terrain inside it), and 2 bridges! I had no idea noone wants bridges xD

dTmmnhU.jpg

I had no idea noone wants bridges xD

I kind of feel like nobody wants bridges because bridges are kind of hard to do well. There's a lot less stylistic options available, and a lot less opportunities to "make your mark", so to speak.

I kind of feel like nobody wants bridges because bridges are kind of hard to do well. There's a lot less stylistic options available, and a lot less opportunities to "make your mark", so to speak.

Sure, I'll do the bridges =) I like them and I don't think there are not many stylistic options available..

So, I am going now, here is the model of the island in .fbx and .dae. Nothing is textured nor is final, but you can get some idea, the offramps are just there for testing the slope and access. When I saw the expressway in game it's really tall.. Not very realistic really. I don't know if I should lower it to 20 meters. At least I am sure I wont touch the expressway's position. If I do something with it, it will be after you do your models. The plots are divided into single objects.

http://www./download/opu938tq0i5y3p2/KCity_eastern_test2.rar

The final plot update:

siPRbRF.jpg

Edited by nothke

A most interesting project, and one I will be watching very closely in the future.

Have you guys thought about some level of consistency in things such as sidewalks/pavements, fire hydrants, parking meters etc?

You know, it occurs to me that an enterprising individual could script a plugin to add the city blocks one by one as time passes. That way the city grows as you play. Hell, you could even key certain conditions since the mission manager has already show that you can capture certain triggers like landing on the moon. That way the more and further you went, the more the city would develop.

Anyways I would also be interested in seeing some zeppelin hangars built in to the airport. Just for the flexibility, if it is not a ton more work. I don't imagine an extra hangar building would be too terrible, but then again I cannot do 3d modeling to save my life.

edit: It also occurs to me that a REALLY enterprising individual could also code a plugin to take in Kethane-based resources like the ore from interplanetary launch pads and integrate an interface to build the city chunk by chunk too, though there would probably need to be some benefit to doing so before it would be worth it. Possibly something to look at in the coming versions with the additions of a research tree and proper campaign.

You know, it occurs to me that an enterprising individual could script a plugin to add the city blocks one by one as time passes. That way the city grows as you play. Hell, you could even key certain conditions since the mission manager has already show that you can capture certain triggers like landing on the moon. That way the more and further you went, the more the city would develop.

Anyways I would also be interested in seeing some zeppelin hangars built in to the airport. Just for the flexibility, if it is not a ton more work. I don't imagine an extra hangar building would be too terrible, but then again I cannot do 3d modeling to save my life.

edit: It also occurs to me that a REALLY enterprising individual could also code a plugin to take in Kethane-based resources like the ore from interplanetary launch pads and integrate an interface to build the city chunk by chunk too, though there would probably need to be some benefit to doing so before it would be worth it. Possibly something to look at in the coming versions with the additions of a research tree and proper campaign.

Now THERE is a really fascinating suggestion. After all, interactive statics HAVE been developed (see the mass driver mod) using KerbTown.

At this stage of game development, perhaps restrict the initial kerbanauts available to the first three "pioneers" (Jeb, Bill and Bob) and as your space agency develops and you increase your city, you atract more and more aspiring applicants, as incentive for bigger missions, etc.

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing this add-on happen, so best of luck! :D

Tempted to take that last plot for a park or something. This kind of thing is what I'm studying to do IRL.

But I won't be able to get something on it for a while.

Or, perhaps a train station.

Tempted to take that last plot for a park or something. This kind of thing is what I'm studying to do IRL.

But I won't be able to get something on it for a while.

Or, perhaps a train station.

As for vegetation don't do anything yet, I am planning to give you all a standard texture for grass, dirt and pavement and transitions between them, and another one for simple vegetation with transparency (like 2 kinds of tree and a bush). I am also thinking between making just 6-poly trees as I've used for backgrounds in racing games. It won't look good from up close, but it does from the distance and if you put many of them. The other 3d tree model is 100+ polys and it still looks pretty bad.

As for a train station, I was thinking about trains. I like trains. But again... I don't think they will be featured as a mod in KSP anytime soon, and putting tracks in the city for no good use is no fun. It's better to make more freeway overpasses than tracks. If there are tracks in the future, we could add more elevated tracks, or even a thin monorail would be really nice. Also, we can "dig underground", there's 10 meters from the surface to the sea level for some "cut-and-cover" subway xD.

I think it will be fun later when all the plot models are done and we need to put more stuff in, then, just like in real life, we have to plan and see where to put things and not ruin existing structures. It will feel like a real, developing city =)

I would quite like to work on D4 too.

Will it be long before you try to do anything with the other island?

You can help by giving ideas or some sketches of what do you think it should be done next. My opinion is we need a new island with differed use, commercial, residential, industrial and different functions, we should define where to put parks, sport areas, transport hubs and alike FIRST. This time we should constraint the master plan even more, so that now it feels more real and useful. And ofcourse more oblique streets, not just square plots =) And next time, I (or someone else) should build the island model with defined plots and streets first, and then send to others so they can build according to it. So, more technical preparation next time. This time it's a mess, and it's intended to be just so we can see how it can function xD For example, I see people are down to modelling, but I reckon it will be mind boggling when it comes to mapping and combining all textures/materials

Edited by nothke

As for a train station, I was thinking about trains. I like trains. But again... I don't think they will be featured as a mod in KSP anytime soon,

Umm.. This is true. Unless you can offer some advice or help.?

Edited by Tw1

Railways in KSP is a bit of a catch 22 scenario. Without the rails, there can't be trains, without the trains, there can't be rails.

Really you need some people willing to make the trains to talk with someone willing to make the rail.

the biggest issue is going to be standardized colliders on the rail, and a standardized method of building the wheels for the carriages.

Simplest method I can think of is four wheel colliders per axle. Two sitting on top of the rails, and two sitting around them (those two having very little suspension distance so it stays on the rail)

Railways in KSP is a bit of a catch 22 scenario. Without the rails, there can't be trains, without the trains, there can't be rails.

Really you need some people willing to make the trains to talk with someone willing to make the rail.

the biggest issue is going to be standardized colliders on the rail, and a standardized method of building the wheels for the carriages.

Simplest method I can think of is four wheel colliders per axle. Two sitting on top of the rails, and two sitting around them (those two having very little suspension distance so it stays on the rail)

it could be done in a way its done in gta series. Just scripted object that is moving along a predefined path, a spline. no physics involved. Practically like an animated moving platform in games, while the rails are just cosmetic. Oh, i actually didnt assume trains should be drivable. I imagine them as moving platformsvyou could hop on and off at stations.

As for vegetation don't do anything yet, I am planning to give you all a standard texture for grass, dirt and pavement and transitions between them, and another one for simple vegetation with transparency (like 2 kinds of tree and a bush). I am also thinking between making just 6-poly trees as I've used for backgrounds in racing games. It won't look good from up close, but it does from the distance and if you put many of them. The other 3d tree model is 100+ polys and it still looks pretty bad.

What about using artyoms grass and pavement textures?

And with the scale we working with, I don't think we need transition materials.

a predefined path, no physics involved.

That's kind of the plan for that mod, rail segments which use a collider like the ladder, that interacts with a radially placeable train bogie part. Except I have no idea how to set up colliders.