Kerbin City Community Project - Phase B - New Islands

nothke

Hey, need some extra things with the roads on B4. Here's my current state:

show.php?id=57730

(KerbinCube is eyeball Kerbal-sized (1m tall, 70cm for other axies) to help getting an idea)

How high will be the road above the building? What dimentions for the border, the road, etc... to make seamless transitions.

Speaking of textures, tiled 512 is far better than 2048 "normal", as only a 512 tex will be allowed on the VRAM. For me it will pose no problem because it will be an office building.

Speaking of building, who has an idea for the name of the company ? I thought "Kollar Center" or "Kerbin Fuel, Inc." but it doesn't sound good enough for me.

How "well" does KSP supports alpha in textures? How to make "night" textures (with spotlights, and lit rooms as some Kerbals will be working hard for rockets to launch) ?

What about using artyoms grass and pavement textures?

And with the scale we working with, I don't think we need transition materials.

Keep in mind that there will be a possibility of players getting up close to the buildings, so transition materials can't hurt.

Showing progress. Also, It would be nice to get these common textures asap, I would like to start to put them here and there. My part gonna be good for on foot exploration and finding little secret places. No high buildings.

59kOgs5.jpg

That is a really slick shipyard/port!

This definitely needs to be added as a default launch sight for boats. Would love to launch of the carriers by InfiniteDice from this place.

Side note, are you planning on doing some piers?

I am actually sketching the future plans and I am considering a bigger harbor district with piers north of the eastern island. Check the first map of the bay in the OP. I will share more sketches later.

Umm.. This is true. Unless you can offer some advice or help.?

Only that the jr docking modules work as good train couplers, aka they pivot slightly and allow a line of connected "cars" to curve somewhat :) . Only tried this with track vehicle, such as:

VS413tt.jpg

assume would work with wheel vehicles. The longer the "train" the more curve or pivot you can get.

Main KSP freeze its rigidbody calculation. Building no have rigidbody, its static mesh collider.

"Polys are not the issue they use to be, you could push through 8k and 16k meshes and no one would even notice. The physics calculations and their collision meshes are much more important than their visible poly count!

You can do a quick test and see what im talking about. Create a 100k poly sphere, and put a simple low poly mesh collision on it, and you still have a solid frame rate.

Now do the opposite, low poly visual, and a high poly collision. Your frame rate will noticeably drop! Why, because our graphics cards are very good at pushing polys to our eyes, not so much for collision... "

nothke

Test building

2k poly

Only box colliders

3 512*512 texture + bumpmap

3 material

That normal ?

Looks very good! I think that the polycount and materials are ok =) Maybe put a specular on the window texture to make them shine in the sunlight, also you could try adding emmisive map to the text and to some of the windows. I don't know yet how to make it turn off during the day, but I guess someone will come up with a plugin or a way how to do it. bac9's KSC is doing it, then it's possible.

Only that the jr docking modules work as good train couplers, aka they pivot slightly and allow a line of connected "cars" to curve somewhat :)

That's a pretty cool train, the kind of thing I imagine people making.

But, if I'm going to get rails working, I need advice on two things:

1. How to make ladders. That is the basic idea, use the ladder system like rails. As long as you're generous enough with the angles you place track segments at, you should be able to travel down the line at speed.

There seems to be a discrepancy between the wiki's ladder tutorial, and what I'm seeing in unity.

Maybe I installed part tools wrong, or maybe I also need the old one.

2. The second thing, is I need to get the bogie (train wheel base) to grip to the ladder that is the track, like a Kerbal does. This part looks tricky, may need to read some unity tutorials.

Everything else, like the bogie providing propulsion, and a resource requiring part that lays track segments. (Interacts with kerbtown, uses metal from exraplanetary launchpads) are just details if the main idea works.

So far, I have a simple viaduct model, that could be modified to make different lengths. Textures are not intended as final.

Edited by Tw1