Kerbin City Community Project - Phase B - New Islands

nothke

That's kind of the plan for that mod, rail segments which use a collider like the ladder, that interacts with a radially placeable train bogie part. Except I have no idea how to set up colliders.

I guess there are easier ways to make it than using ladders. I actually think it's a bad idea, it's really something different. I probably think that making a scripted object following a spline is the simplest thing to do..

However, if you really want to make a collidable train, I think this might be a good idea to make it very simple, and as robust and functional as possible, here's a suggestion:

nZcTVMy.jpg

(width/height not to scale)

As you can see, it's more a "guided truck" than a train, but still it follows the "rail" and the colliders are big so there are no problems with them and you can probably achieve high speed. The rails are high and the center of gravity should be as low as possible so that there are no easy derails. As for the junctions, they could be easily switched like this:

GoIB6hI.jpg

Just someone would need to make a script for the switch =) Beside the junctions, the good news is that this system is doable right now without any scripts

A WiP of the Ministry of Improbable Spacecraft (MIS) business/research campus.

k7spq2B.png

The waterfront is to the left (this view is looking east). I'm still thinking of ways to fill the remaining space (possibly some sort of research complex - enviro-simulational biodomes and whatnot). That pit you see on the far left is the assembly pit - a space for MIS to manufacture some of its myriad products before shipping them to the KSC. I might extend the edges upwards, so it's more like a drydock (8 meters is a little shallow for an assembly pit). Definitely gonna put a gantry over it, though. And probably a barge in the water, ready to receive whatever is being assembled.

Showing progress. Also, It would be nice to get these common textures asap, I would like to start to put them here and there. My part gonna be good for on foot exploration and finding little secret places. No high buildings.

59kOgs5.jpg

This looks fantastic, but I can't help but ask about the functionality of some of its features. The way the ramps go into the water, it appears more like a loading ramp (like putting your boat off the trailer and into the water), but the buildings at the top would get in the way. Is it supposed to be where ships are built? If so it should be cut out level where the boats are built and slightly below sea level (or flooded for when the boat is launching). Also, what are the cranes doing along the ramp? They cant unload/build stuff at an angle on those ramps. If the ramps are actually launch ramps, the cranes should be along the water face or in an area that the boats sit flat.

Judging by the scale, it is a ship construction yard, where very large ships are built. I would suggest making the ramps dug down level (partially underwater) into the building and ramp up at the back inside the hanger. Then the cranes can stay there and they make sense.

EDIT:

kinda like this:

Oasis_Construction_090308b.jpg

Edited by Blaylock1988

Here's what I have as of day two.

A (subject to change) finished blueprint.

ABvVLzL.png

I flew my Ski Plane out to where the city will be.

h3fDDod.jpg

I worked on perfecting my massive bridge for the airport bridge. (subject to change)

HVklBl6.jpg

And imported the Eastern City base model! Exciting stuff!

W6UBzWs.jpg

I guess there are easier ways to make it than using ladders. I actually think it'

However, if you really want to make a collidable train, I think this might be a good idea to make it very simple, and as robust and functional as possible, here's a suggestion:

As you can see, it's more a "guided truck" than a train, but still it follows the "rail" and the colliders are big so there are no problems with them and you can probably achieve high speed.

Just using physics for the rail, that's an idea..

I have no coding ability, and haven't got someone who does to help ATM, but this could speed things up a little..

I see some disadvantages, tracks would have to line up just right for trains to pass over. I've got an idea that could give it a little leniency though.

Not being able to jump from one piece to another as easy means is probably need to add at least one curve piece, and an angle piece.

I suspect I'd also have to learn to use wheel colliders, rather than just fudging it...

If you'd rather keep this thread on topic, I have one for this.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/46201-Simple-Railway-mod-in-early-development?p=602841#post602841

May post updated ideas there later.

Edited by Tw1

Are there any land plots left? I'd like to make something too!

I don't think there's anything left on the phase A (eastern) island. I know nothke's been posting updated maps, have a look around the thread for them.

This looks fantastic, but I can't help but ask about the functionality of some of its features. The way the ramps go into the water, it appears more like a loading ramp (like putting your boat off the trailer and into the water), but the buildings at the top would get in the way. Is it supposed to be where ships are built? If so it should be cut out level where the boats are built and slightly below sea level (or flooded for when the boat is launching). Also, what are the cranes doing along the ramp? They cant unload/build stuff at an angle on those ramps. If the ramps are actually launch ramps, the cranes should be along the water face or in an area that the boats sit flat.

Judging by the scale, it is a ship construction yard, where very large ships are built. I would suggest making the ramps dug down level (partially underwater) into the building and ramp up at the back inside the hanger. Then the cranes can stay there and they make sense.

How you can see on the side, it's not made for build big ships, more like fishing boats and cranes could be just useful. And mainly purpose of ramp is when get to the city in amphibious vehicle, you could get in here.

Hmm, I must demand that one of the buildings in this magnificent city of yours is wrecked. Atleast partially. Preferably with an satellite sticking out of it. And how about the roads in and out of the city? Will they just abruptly end when leaving the city, or are you planning an highway to KCS?

PS. This is quite astonishingly, mindboggingly awesome. I must somehow show my gratitude towards this great endeavour of yours. I just do not know how...

Edited by Jones-250

Hmm, I must demand that one of the buildings in this magnificent city of yours is wrecked. Atleast partially. Preferably with an satellite sticking out of it. And how about the roads in and out of the city? Will they just abruptly end when leaving the city, or are you planning an highway to KCS?

PS. This is quite astonishingly, mindboggingly awesome. I must somehow show my gratitude towards this great endeavour of yours. I just do not know how...

Highway to KSC is a pretty huge thing to do.. I don't think I will try to do that. I am focusing on airlifting, or if someone is interested in ships they can try to do it.. Although it would take a lot of time to reach KSC. You can take rovers over the terrain if you'd like, I will make access roads to islands from the land.

As for the satellite crash, that's a cool idea =) Someone could do it.

The Highbridge

4 materials

6271 Polygons (I am not the best at low poly moddeling :( )

Pictures:

http://imgur.com/IBAjPQw

http://imgur.com/aUHDrfF

does that look OK?

very good. But remember the bridge should be 30 meters wide and about 1000m long, now it looks like it's pretty narrow, or those walls are just huge.

I saw that there were a big "cutout" at C1. I was wondering if i could do a loading dock. You know, with huge cranes, containers, Hangars and other port stuff. (I think it was Orzi that did that boat construction hangar thing but im more of thinking using the edges of C1 to build the port which has more of a loaidng and unloading areas with industrial stuff maybe even a koalplant and other stuff i said before.) Seems to look good so far with KerbTown thing here! Excited!

Highway to KSC is a pretty huge thing to do.. I don't think I will try to do that. I am focusing on airlifting, or if someone is interested in ships they can try to do it.. Although it would take a lot of time to reach KSC. You can take rovers over the terrain if you'd like, I will make access roads to islands from the land.

As for the satellite crash, that's a cool idea =) Someone could do it.

very good. But remember the bridge should be 30 meters wide and about 1000m long, now it looks like it's pretty narrow, or those walls are just huge.

i know, but i did model first, now the scaling will begin

Over scene

polycount ~4200

4 texture 512*512

886428d4f8a6a53ac98a6ac0f98b8e14.png

6401090c5be612aba0f081a2350d6108.png

f0302f936a782c41d66ca90edea5dd4d.png

abbb87116632baeb88d1bb9af24bb900.png

ee88b3a49bf7f1d531e0d59501735707.png

9ce45652b1b3478db20a139be6704139.png

But i have question, any way import to ypur plugin completed Unity file.

Example , im send you .mu file and make pivot point in center my plot.

You import my plot 1 piece.

Because im assembly my buildings in Unity, i dont think so you understand my hierarchie in blend file?

Question 2

We can make animation buildings? Like lifts , rotors , etc ?

Edited by BobCat

Over scene

polycount ~4200

4 texture 512*512

886428d4f8a6a53ac98a6ac0f98b8e14.png

6401090c5be612aba0f081a2350d6108.png

f0302f936a782c41d66ca90edea5dd4d.png

abbb87116632baeb88d1bb9af24bb900.png

ee88b3a49bf7f1d531e0d59501735707.png

9ce45652b1b3478db20a139be6704139.png

But i have question, any way import to ypur plugin completed Unity file.

Example , im send you .mu file and make pivot point in center my plot.

You import my plot 1 piece.

Because im assembly my buildings in Unity, i dont think so you understand my hierarchie in blend file?

Question 2

We can make animation buildings? Like lifts , rotors , etc ?

You should add a Soyuz capsule on top or something, maybe a DEMV rover.