Kerbin City Community Project - Phase B - New Islands

nothke

Over scene

polycount ~4200

4 texture 512*512

-img snip-

But i have question, any way import to ypur plugin completed Unity file.

Example , im send you .mu file and make pivot point in center my plot.

You import my plot 1 piece.

Because im assembly my buildings in Unity, i dont think so you understand my hierarchie in blend file?

Question 2

We can make animation buildings? Like lifts , rotors , etc ?

Those buildings look amazing, I like how you reused the textures everywhere and they still look very different.

1: I think I will manage to do it unity. I want to export the whole island as one object, so I hope I can group and position your plot right. If it doesn't work with unity, I will let you know.

2. I don't know, I didn't try to import animations. I think vertex animations work just like for normal parts. But you will have to see that on the KerbTown plugin page.

Note that meshes in your meshes (objects) should not be bigger than 200x200m because over 200m there are collision issues with Kerbals (on EVA). If you have bigger meshes just slice them, divide them into multiple objects. Should not be a big problem to that in the end of modelling.

Another important thing! I am changing the roads a bit, and the street below your plot is not going to be accessible because I am building a ramp to access the lowbrigde. It will be accessible for pedestrians though

]I was just about to post my analysis...

These blobs are not exact, just showing rough area. Yellow has been used to show where there are views that could be utilised, not that most them are not that great at sea level.

Green indicates potential future connectivity. Routes and such.

http://i.imgur.com/FKUlvrE.jpg

My survey team identified a tidal channel, where if this was a real city, you'd aim to maintain the flow between the lagoon and the harbour. This can be done in many ways.

http://i.imgur.com/Lak63rw.jpg

Not a plan, an examination of design stuff. Will edit this post to explain the blobs and squiggles in a sec.

This was just considering the future island.

Rather than doing all the photoshoping again,

Most things can just be shifted a little, to show issues.

-The transport network shown in Nothke's image is better than the one here.

-I would not recommend putting tall buildings in the flight path.

Hay, thanks, I was thinking about the airport first and how I should care about the flight path.. But then, the flight path is going right through the nicest part of the bay, therefore, I decided to rotate the airport instead xD. I will also add another runway on the southern part of the airport towards the ocean, because it's a really small airport for a city this big.

It's a really nice "views" map you made, I am thinking about them as well, there's nothing that nice to view at about the landscape, but I hope that the cityscape will be better to view at. I am having in mind the possible parks and observation areas to sit at and enjoy the view =)

About that tidal area. That is what I always imagined it's a river, it looks to me more that the devs didn't really focus on that bay (of course they had to make the whole planet), so they didn't really care about putting functional rivers and waterways, I don't know if they "drew" the map or did they get it through a terraforming software cause thats how it looks.

If it would be possible to write a petition to the devs or smth so that they dig that area and give us a functional river =) like this: http://i.imgur.com/mFiGZhd.jpg (the cyan thing)

how big plot do i get? and can i start modeling?

Waaaait, we haven't even finished the first phase, this is just a first sketch. This time I really need to make all the road models first before giving out plots.

Edited by nothke

About that tidal area. That is what I always imagined it's a river, it looks to me more that the devs didn't really focus on that bay (of course they had to make the whole planet), so they didn't really care about putting functional rivers and waterways, I don't know if they "drew" the map or did they get it through a terraforming software cause thats how it looks.

From what I've heard, they fiddle with numbers, and that spits out a planet, or something like that. Yet we get planets that look pretty realistic in parts.

It's not really the right geography for a river, they form from lots of little streams. It would look like one at high tide though.

11-09-04-fotoflug-nordsee-by-RalfR-024.jpg

Not quite like that, but I see potential for cool boardwalks there.

I hope my diagram is useful, it's tricky analysing computer generated terrain.

Edited by Tw1

Absolutly great idea this project! I can't wait!

But just a remark: Ships can't reach the dock because of the lowbridge! Maybe it would be better a tunel? :)

I did wonder about that. The other bay is could be an option, but there is more risk of oil slick contaminating further areas there. (if the kerbals do boats that way..) Maybe.. An opening bridge?

Absolutly great idea this project! I can't wait!

But just a remark: Ships can't reach the dock because of the lowbridge! Maybe it would be better a tunel? :)

There will be a 30 meter clearance, high bridge has 40m clearance, I don't think it would be a problem although we could raise it a bit.

Hay, thanks, I was thinking about the airport first and how I should care about the flight path.. But then, the flight path is going right through the nicest part of the bay, therefore, I decided to rotate the airport instead xD. I will also add another runway on the southern part of the airport towards the ocean, because it's a really small airport for a city this big.

It's a really nice "views" map you made, I am thinking about them as well, there's nothing that nice to view at about the landscape, but I hope that the cityscape will be better to view at. I am having in mind the possible parks and observation areas to sit at and enjoy the view =)

If it would be possible to write a petition to the devs or smth so that they dig that area and give us a functional river =) like this: http://i.imgur.com/mFiGZhd.jpg (the cyan thing)

Waaaait, we haven't even finished the first phase, this is just a first sketch. This time I really need to make all the road models first before giving out plots.

Ok :D

(Stupid 10 charachter limit :D)

Hopefully my final revision of D2.

http://i.imgur.com/1tOGnCj.jpg

It's ok, but that mast is not so rational.. Why not use the building roof and put a mast on top of it? That's what they do in reality, why make a separate tall structure when you already have one.. I have never seen a mast next to the skyscraper.

Plot map Update:

http://i.imgur.com/LYNzBRX.jpg

Front Page picture says I have the plot! YAY! :sticktongue:

Gonna be traveling all day tomorrow but then... building time! Thinking one of those mini-advertising blimp baloon's. Like this:

http://www.lulusoso.com/upload/20120323/advertising_blimp_r_c_blimp_airship.jpg

Instead of a billboard.

Why not, great idea! Except if it's a static object it'll be funny to see planes crashing into it and it stays solid as rock xD

I'm interrested in plot if someone "leave" one or in the next phase.

Sure,

List of people interested for plots in the next phase (I hope I got everyone):

• Hofugir - port/harbor stuff
  • TW1 - train station
  • Kommitz
  • Skykooler
  • Squirtgun1234
  • Olympic1
  • Henrik908
  • Yogui87
  • Rasheed (more)

So you know I'm not dead here, I thought I'd post an update now I've got around to modelling something. Yes, its aweful at the moment. I'm fiddling with shapes and testing ideas, at the moment.

WEys2vu.png

I'd intended to make most of the plot this building, now I've finally realised the scale of the task, so I'm going to rethink my plan and formulate a new design (I've been scribbling them for a while) again just a rough shape at the moment. Essentially its inspired off of airport terminal buildings, but isn't one.

I'm planning to add a car park (obviously, since wheels are my schtick and all that) but suprisingly I've ran into an interesting question - what sort of size is a good size for a kerbal parking spot? suprisingly - I don't have a clue. I'll probably have to figure a system to test sizes of some rover designs to work that out. I'm sure 4m up is just about tall enough for most simple designs, so a three story park would be about 10m tall if open roofed. A truckstop might be a neat idea on this train of thought. (literally just come up with that one) and I was thinking about a warehouse.

Far as really towering buildings comes though I haven't got much to mind yet. the picture shows the main building I was interested in at 150m tall but thats definately off scale - I'm probably thinking more like 70 maximum now. Perhaps a small bank tower slightly taller or a small industrial type structure (radio/water/pump) to give something interesting to fly around.

definately a bigger task than I anticipated, but I'll give it a shot!

Im ready 100%

- SNIP -

mother-of-god-meme.jpg

That looks awesome!

Except.. That rocket monument.. Khm, khm..

What to consider: (....)

• No offensive stuff. This is quite obvious but I know some of you might want to make phalus-shaped buildings

I think Kerbal council should decide on that, I'll forward them the project visualizations =P

What is the side towards the water?

Soon I'll show my modelling progress =)

Edited by nothke

That looks awesome!

Except.. That rocket monument.. Khm, khm..

I think Kerbal council should decide on that, I'll forward them the project visualizations =P

What is the side towards the water?

Soon I'll show my modelling progress =)

I didn't see anything offensive in it and actually thought "that's an innovative and striking sculpture" before I even knew there was an Earth analog.

and yes... al colliders work fine, no any bugs or lags. I think 10 000 poly for plot normal.

bef158c79e9dd6da2d68ec3dafc67c57.png

6ec06ba9a1091956d963097f8cb7365c.png

c6ee28daf6b5336913a052b8865e8f7b.png

5f2aa1d712ce404cb70456dab445bc25.png

f527e77a7c20fe6f4b26ca621cdb44c1.png

72b2d3377cc4843fcd1155310f19fa3b.png

de1787db2681fffdd8d07acbf790d690.png

f20e6aa53573abd1a1431ce22dbb7287.png

3f786c077ef25b38275c728520b6c6d0.png

1e7c47e40a02b6fe24f64ad17cb52bf6.png

Need change grass color later (( Òырòøóûð÷ýþ

Edited by BobCat

I'm interested in joining this project, as soon as new construction sites are available.

I've tested Kerbcity today and it's amazing. I've made a little ICBM silo for testing. I've also got the animation to work. (silocover)

2013-08-21_00004.jpg

2013-08-21_00014.jpg

I didn't texture it yet, because it was only for testing, but ot works :)

and yes... al colliders work fine, no any bugs or lags. I think 10 000 poly for plot normal.

Need change grass color later (( Òырòøóûð÷ýþ

It's not the polycount that makes collision problems, it's the distance from the mesh origin. If EVA works ok everywhere and Kerbal doesn't fall through until the the belt, it's perfect =)

Looks amazing with all the shadows being cast BTW.

Im having alittle problem. On the radio building. It is transparent in-game but in unity its not.

help plz. And no it doesnt have anything transparent or no transparent shaders.

You are probably having 2 materials/textures on one mesh. KSP doesn't support 2 materials on one mesh, you'll have to split meshes.