Kerbin City Community Project - Phase B - New Islands

nothke

Here's something from me:

I have finally made proper modular textured roads and combined them into the plots. Now there are 2 street types, one is normal 20m wide and second is an avenue that is 30m. DON'T WORRY, the plots are the same size, I just moved them a bit to put new roads in. So the plots are the same, but the whole island larger for a few meters =P

tPqZGkE.jpg

EXCEPT for the lowbridge ramp which starts all the way from the street before and climbs up to 20 meters and.. clips BobCat's plot a bit (I hope he won't kill me now). Out of all the plots he finishes first and exactly where I made a change xD

wwWYnhj.jpg

I've also been experimenting, and have made a pretty lightweight system for signs. Still I need a modular system for the gantry too.

DG9uQiz.jpg

It looks pretty much like simcity from above now xD

sKBixWd.jpg

How i cant test my plot in your plugin?

I will put a model online soon, you can send me your model.

Edited by nothke

Hopefully my final final revision. Added a Research Building for my company.

snRcno3.png

nothke if your wondering about the mast thing, its cuz if i put it on the building the height limit would be broken.

This is just a message of support - I'm stunned at the ambition, speed and quality of execution going into this mod. I like to be the muse, the whisperer of ideas to modders, but nothing has been missed on this one. I'm just an admiring spectator.

The concept of notable modders literally building their HQs is fantastic. I'm looking forward to future expansions with Firespitter and Hooligan Labs airfields, an Infinitedice naval base, Kethane refineries, an Omniwheels racetrack, a Robotics factory...

Other ideas - Botanic gardens, adventure park (think Disneyland gone Kerbal), a Kerbin Eye (London Eye analog), a Kerbal Brandenburg gate/ Arc de Triumph, a Magic Roundabout like that of Swindon (so mad it requires no Kerbalised embellishment), palaces/castles (how would mediaeval Kerbals have built fortified buildings, and would they still be standing?), KAS cable cars (already do-able, with two winches, one spooling out while the other retracts, moving the car between them), a hydroelectric dam (would require some cleverness to create the water behind it), power stations...

Edited by colmo

To all of you who have been or will be adding and supporting this mod. This is one of the coolest things out there right now. I just wanted to say thank you from those (like myself) who can't model but wish ever so much to be apart of this mod. you guys are awesome i cant wait to see the finished product.

Hopefully my final final revision. Added a Research Building for my company.

snRcno3.png

nothke if your wondering about the mast thing, its cuz if i put it on the building the height limit would be broken.

You could put a shorter version on top of the building, so the top of it is at the same height it is at now.

This is just a message of support - I'm stunned at the ambition, speed and quality of execution going into this mod. I like to be the muse, the whisperer of ideas to modders, but nothing has been missed on this one. I'm just an admiring spectator.

The concept of notable modders literally building their HQs is fantastic. I'm looking forward to future expansions with Firespitter and Hooligan Labs airfields, an Infinitedice naval base, Kethane refineries, an Omniwheels racetrack, a Robotics factory...

Other ideas - Botanic gardens, adventure park (think Disneyland gone Kerbal), a Kerbin Eye (London Eye analog), a Kerbal Brandenburg gate/ Arc de Triumph, a Magic Roundabout like that of Swindon (so mad it requires no Kerbalised embellishment), palaces/castles (how would mediaeval Kerbals have built fortified buildings, and would they still be standing?), KAS cable cars (already do-able, with two winches, one spooling out while the other retracts, moving the car between them), a hydroelectric dam (would require some cleverness to create the water behind it), power stations...

Wow, these are some nice suggestions, thank you! I wrote them down.

I would say "why not" to all these suggestions, but it all depends if the others are willing to make them. Also, you need to think would they be fun and how to make them fun:

• As for adventure park, maybe we can make some rollercoasters where Kerbals could drive on with a car (presumably rocket car xD).
  • Kerbin Eye would be really cool, even if it doesn't work it's a great sight. It could be over water too.
  • Triumphal gates, could be, but a triumph of what? Landing on Mun? xD An arch with carvings that tell the story of the first landing on Mun similar to those on the Greek temples would be cool =) Also triumphal gates would be great to fly through.
  • Castles, sure, we could top one of the hills with one, if someone is willing to make it.
  • cable cars - we probably are going to have a train, but if someone is willing to try, why not.
  • hydroelectric dam - we could "model" the water, but it would not really behave like the REAL water, it would be just an object.. Maybe a frozen lake instead? =) It would be cool though, but there are no high hills/mountains around Kerbin City.
  • power stations - absolutely, maybe a nuclear one and a disused coal one like Battersea or Tate. But again it's quite static. I am sure vapour puffs could be added. Also I'd love to see an oil refinery so we should make a fire emmiter on top of the stack =)

Ok, who else is looking to hit that pointy sculpture from their plane with a KAS grappler and try and swing around batman style?

I was actually looking at the 3 tall buildings thinking 'VTOL bunny hopping...' but now I'm totally going to do that as well!

As soon as my time is not being devoured by my thesis I'm going to throw myself into this - I like the castles/ruins idea and I'm sure I saw somewhere that someone is developing a submarine mod - I'm calling dibs right now on making Kerblantis!

You guys are doing awesome stuff. Keep up the good work! I wish could help, but don't have any such creative skills. Have you guys already thought about how to fill the town with life? You know, the Sims/SimCity-like part of it...

Some other thoughts:

- Kerbals should be peaceful but tech/research/space-focused. Bobcats rocket monument makes way more sense than arc de triumph's, imo.

- A racing track would be nice, if possible from an old racing game.

- I'm a little afraid about those "rectangular blocks" part. Hope it at least works out, but it might give a more natural result to lay out streets and somehow assign designations. Especially for areas without a perfectly checkered street pattern.

I've just tried adding a "downtown" island according to my sketch to the scene, and well.. It's humongous xD That white box in the middle is the same height as Empire State Building.. for comparison =)

Pkl85e3.jpg

I hope we ever manage to fill this one up.

Here is a first common texture pack, you should use these in your plots to reduce the material count as much as possible (don't rename files). There are just 3 textures for now:

http://www./download/3ll16kh87hbq81k/KCity_commontextures_v1.rar

Use the tile_grass.png for all the grass surfaces; tile_concplate for vertical crude concrete parts like pillars and such, also you can use it for walls; and tilex_road for the road, it's only tiled in one axis, you should make more polys and copy them to get more lanes.

and here is a modular street system if anyone needs building roads inside their plot. It uses the same texture from the texture pack.

http://www./download/e0oxzq9qdg8i7ev/KCity_modularstreet_byNothke.rar

Yo rothke. Something is wrong. The grass textures appear in Unity but in-game they are white?

I know its not your fault but mine. I dont know what i did wrong.

Send me your models and I will solve the problem.