Kerbin City Community Project - Phase B - New Islands

nothke

Generic textures, that's a good idea.

I still reckon shifting that second airport wouldn't hurt, to keep the channel thing clear.

Its alignment mostly puts the flight path over the industrial area, which shouldn't be a problem.

Noise may reduce the desirability of the dune area a little, but we can't be sure, as Kerbals don't have external ears. Loud noise may not bother them that much.

When it comes to making the port facility, I recommend people make some sort of buffer zone between the port and the land behind it. IRL, I'd be thinking of plantings of reeds, the odd mangrove, and bridges and the odd wall that match the warf's concrete, but the markers of those bits will have to find a solution that works for the game.

(Seems I can't help but analyse these plans. I don't have a design subject this semester, maybe this is withdrawal...)

I think I'll take my tumbling KAS climber to explore when it's done. Jump from wall to wall, spiderman style.

Edited by Tw1

After finishing my terraforming, street layouts (thanks for the street file by the way) and doing some design sketches the first building is complete. This is the low poly untextured "marina" Complete with overhang roof for the acrobatic planes. 870 tris and only missing a couple of generic railings and Haven't decided if windows are done with verts or maps. What do you think?

YN2rReI.jpg?1

Something to keep in mind for y'all:

In large coastal cities, the Central Business Districts (CBDs) are usually not far from wharves/ports/docks/marinas, as CBDs evolved from traders' markets and merchant offices that once dealt with goods imported/exported from the sea. As such, I think that most of you guys with plots near the port should get together and figure out something that resembles a major business/financial sector.

By the way, nothke, here's a rough (and *unofficial*) backstory that may or may not help put things into perspective regarding Kerbin City and the Space Centre:

Prior to the unification of the Kerbal civilisation in KY497, Kerbin was politically divided into three major factions fighting a three-way global conflict, as well as several smaller dependent or neutral nation-states:

The Confederacy - Analogous to late 20th/early 21st Century the United States / Canada. A democratic Federal Republic with a economy with a strong focus on the sciences, robotics and medical innovation. Its former military consisted of a sizeable number of very expensive but highly reliable hi-tech units, UAVs. Jeb, Bob and Bill Kerman are from the Confederacy - Jeb served as a combat pilot, Bob as a test pilot and Bill as an engineer under Dr. von Kerman.

Krussian People's Republic - Analogous to Soviet Russia during the Cold War, and needless to say came under a Communist regime with a heavily industrialized economy. Its former military made use of heavy ground armor (wheeled and legged mecha) supported by infantry and artillery.

Honko Hegemony - Analogous to the waning days of Imperial China* or Japan. The economy was primarily based on agriculture, with a large proportion of the population as peasants or merchants supporting a small elite of feudal (and later, imperial) leadership. What they lacked in refined technology or industrial prowess, they compensated with fanaticism and honor; this is noted in their use of waves of mass infantry and so-called "Special Attack Units" (essentially Kamikaze or suicide units)

Keinsberg - A small nation-state Analogous to postwar Germany. In the history of Kerbin, Keinsberg was steadfastly allied with the Confederacy, and paid a heavy price when the Krussians simply leveled their population centers to punish their defiance. Dr. Wernher von Kerman, the chief engineer in the Kerbal Space Program, was a child when the Krussians invaded; he and his family fled as refugees to Confederate territory, where von Kerman would later design various weapon systems to help the Confederate war effort, including the ballistic missiles that would later serve as the precursors of the rockets used in the Kerbal Space Program.

The end of the decades-long global war between the superpowers and their proxies came after (amongst other things) mutual devastation by the development and deployment of Inter-Continental Ballistic Missiles (ICBMs); the Confederates under Dr. von Kerman were the first to field these weapons, followed by the Krussians and the Honko Hegemony, whom simply reverse-engineered early captured duds. Such was the extent of the horrors inflicted on civilians of all sides that the remnants of the superpowers vowed never again to engage in such folly - this gave rise to the unified Kerbal Federation we see today.

The Kerbal race's accelerated efforts towards spaceflight initially came about as a side-effect of faulty ICBMs that failed to deorbit and strike their targets; after the war, it was felt that exploring outside their homeworld with enable them to seek new and abundant resources and curtail any future squabbling between nation-states over what little remained on Kerbin.

The Space Center complex, originally a Confederate ICBM test site, is the result of years of investment and re-development by member states of the Federation for this endeavor, serving as the primary mission control, development, launch and tracking facility. The colloquially dubbed KSC2 is located in former Krussian territory, and is used by the now-democratic Krussians to launch unmanned cargo vessels to support crewed operations in space.

Kerbin City is an ambitious multinational development project, and is intended to eventually serve as the political, financial and legislative capital of the unified Kerbal race. Lessons learned here would be used to further assist in the rebuilding and revitalization of other population centers elsewhere on Kerbin.

*Do note that as someone of Asiatic disposition, I'm not here to make any political statements

Edited by sumghai

Be careful on making up backstories. It can be cool yes, but roleplay is against the forum rules.

Of course :)

Don't worry, my tome isn't for folks to talk in character on the forums, but strictly background material for how such a city could be developed behind-the-scenes.

Something to keep in mind for y'all:

-snip-

I recon it would be better to leave the backstory ambiguous, as people have differing ideas about kerbal history. For example, many prefer the idea that kerbals' space exploration efforts had a completely non-military origin.

Definitely in favour of making it seem like a real city though, but I feel that can be achieved by considering the interactions between parts, and the landscapes.

People could take the needs of their site into account when they build.

Hence my post a few pages back.

Edited by Tw1

Can I pre-order a lot for the next one? assuming it's going in order I call E1 if so :) or maybe something in the industrial area. I might just get started none the less, this is going to be a looong project by the looks of it, would be good to have something ready for the next lot when its available.

I checked it out xD It's just ridiculous.. Which means, Kerbal enough.

Well... you were hoping for more interesting streets right? ..XD

Also, a roundabout would be a good place for someone to make a statue, or tower (belltower?) or something.

Well... you were hoping for more interesting streets right? ..XD

Also, a roundabout would be a good place for someone to make a statue, or tower (belltower?) or something.

Streets take the most time to model and texture properly. That is why I made the modular system so I just put pieces together. Here for example I am spending a lot of time to just get this offramp to join the expressway in a normal way.

8Gao6fr.jpg

On the future islands, I will make streets and plots more interesting by not making them into giant squares I think =)

Edited by nothke

One of the things i believe needs to be added for sure in the next area is a petrochemical plant (or perhaps even on a seperate island).

The liquid fuel and oxidizer has to come from some place, right?

Edited by TheCardinal

Btw, do you want the model of the high bridge nothke? and, which file type do you want it in? .dae, .obj or something

.fbx would be perfect, but .dae and .obj are fine too. also don't forget to pack all the textures

One of the things i believe needs to be added for sure in the next area is a petrochemical plant (or perhaps even on a seperate island).

The liquid fuel and oxidizer has to come from some place, right?

Hmmm. I was going to make a shady motel but maybe I'll do that instead. Maybe I'll put the motel next to it? :D

Btw, is it possible to make a hole into Kerbin, for underground structures or tunnels? Would be awesome to have an railway end somewhere directly under KSC / near the control center.

Btw, is it possible to make a hole into Kerbin, for underground structures or tunnels? Would be awesome to have an railway end somewhere directly under KSC / near the control center.

No, it's not possible to dig trough the terrain. I think the game also automatically destroys everything that spawns under it. The only way to make "tunnels" is actually through your models, but which are above terrain

Crysis, had for example, a nice feature for digging through terrain. You could delete one of the terrain polys and instead of it it would make a voxel object that you could mold into a cave for example. Or you could build your own model and replace the "hole" poly

An another, albeit a bit silly approach, is through "portals". You go into the tunnel structure (which is above land) and at one point (before reaching terrain), you teleport to an identical place, but which is at another location above ground (presumably without noticeable transitions so that you still think you are in the same tunnel). You go through the above-ground tunnel and at the end of it, you go through another portal to teleport you to the real place of exit. Some games are doing it this way.

On the future "downtown" island I will have a road tunnel that connects the south and north (you can see it as a dotted blue line on the sketches), and possibly the train route on the island will be underground too. But of course, that's digging through a model

Edited by nothke

That cool, but this not final version BobCat plot, im just need working version for tests.

You use Kerbtown plugin?

This is just a bit of (forbidden) roleplaying xD I am trying to get your models into Unity now.

Aaaaand the first community made plot to get finished is... TADA:

(few minutes later) construction complete:

18zREFX.jpg

RKW9qEH.jpg

just epic from every view

Sl7UfsE.jpg

as seen from the freeway:

e78Jw21.jpg

as seen from the airport:

DJRywlc.jpg

as seen from space:

oBHPbr2.jpg

xD Well not really visible, it's 3 pixels wide, but still you can spot it!