Kerbin City Community Project - Phase B - New Islands

nothke

One important change in my plot. Docks were lowered and I added hill, gonna made old town on it. Pink box thing is where entrance to tunnel will be and exit will be at port's gate.

bqzQ37Wl.jpg

Ahh..need fix few shadows..fix window color..etc... But I'm happy with the result...what is rare

It took a long time to import the model. First I had to open it up as a new project, configure folders that they don't appear in "assets" but a separate "BobCat" folder so it doesn't mess up my own project. Then export the model as an asset, and then import into the other project, and then I realized the part tools were incompatible cause you are probably using a newer version. So I had to redo all your materials to be compatible with my KSP shaders. Then there were some strange "mono develop" components on each model that I had to remove. And there is animation on the top that doesn't do anything (???). I think there are a few smoothing problems on the models, on the tall round buildings, if you look at those vertical white stripes you can see they are dark on the top and light at the botton, that looks like a normal problem (smoothing).

As for colliders, the monument doesn't have it, I guess there should be a non-convex mesh collider on it, also on the round highrises IMO.

And DON'T raise the ground like that that it has slopes on the sides, make it completely flat. I don't see the point of raising it. The "plot" poly that I put there I remove when I import your model. Also, make it only the top side, you don't need the whole box, except for the waterfront side, but if you don't edit waterfront then I will put a poly over it.

Also the scale was strange. I had to scale it up to 1.20 to meet the edges, (not 1.25 like it usually is in KSP).

If you sent me the model, I would solve all these problems in 5 minutes and not hours =(

also, it would be nice if you could redo the ground so you use my tile textures and cut out the pavement, instead of using one big texture over everything (you don't have to do this, but I suggest)

One important change in my plot. Docks were lowered and I added hill, gonna made old town on it. Pink box thing is where entrance to tunnel will be and exit will be at port's gate.

bqzQ37Wl.jpg

Oh wow... Are you sure all that fits in 360x360m?? =) I hope you got the scale right.

Edited by nothke

Made a quick model "sketch" for my future place. Seems like Ozi and I am doing the same thing but im doing more heavy industry probally and passenger cruisers and until i know my dimensions this wont get much better. Also remember its a "sketch"

jfwB7DZ.png

GAH, everything is not working for me. If this grass texture appears the windows doesnt. If the windows appear then the grass dont appear! gahhhhhhh!!.

This is not going so well ;.;

Everything appears well in unity but ingame ehhhh not so much.

I have no idea what im doing wrong. ughhhhhhhhh.

oWhieyU.png

I'm concerned with the number of materials people are using.

Each material is an extra set of draw calls. So if you have diffuse, spec, and normal that is 3 per material. Plus any other passes the engine does like shadows and transparency (if it has any). With 10 materials on a plot you could get up to 40 draw calls per set, and add a few sets and it gets out of hand quickly and your game grinds to a halt! Pre .21 the KSP launch center had this problem.

Really you should be putting each plot on one big texture sheet and using only ONE material. Unless you cant because it has transparency or something fancy, then maybe you get two.

One of the things i believe needs to be added for sure in the next area is a petrochemical plant (or perhaps even on a seperate island).

The liquid fuel and oxidizer has to come from some place, right?

Hmmm. I was going to make a shady motel but maybe I'll do that instead. Maybe I'll put the motel next to it? :D

Might be suited to a industrial precinct somewhere between the Kerbin City centre and KSC.

Eh, on my plot, the model is not UV mapped and im not that good. Plus not all that materials will be used. It doesnt lag for me and i fixed the problem, currently it uses 7 materials.

Eh, no normals, no transparency, no spec

Plus, the materials dont contain 3 stuff per set. only 1 so its not that performance impacting.

For TheCardinal, I have a factory made just for that.

lkyYhKf.png