Kerbin City Community Project - Phase B - New Islands

nothke

Is the use of illumination maps possible for the buildings at night or is kerbtown limited to a diffuse map only?

I'll add a time of day module to KerbTown.

Set up an emissive animation on your to-be-lit meshes.

Off should be the first frame, On should be the last frame - it won't matter how many frames you use. I advise 30-60 frames as more than enough.

I'll add a time of day module to KerbTown.

Set up an emissive animation on your to-be-lit meshes.

Off should be the first frame, On should be the last frame - it won't matter how many frames you use. I advise 30-60 frames as more than enough.

That's awesome!

Just tried this city pack out and I am totally blown away by how awesome this project is! Kudos to both you Nothke and Razchek for making these amazing add-ons! Can't wait to see what you guys and the community can come up with for future updates :cool: .... So I flew all around the area and didn't have any real collision issues to speak of, could fly under the freeways and through all the buildings and between the bridge segments, but it was weird I had this 5-engine jet where one of the engines would randomly burn out when I flew close/in between the 2 skyscrapers next to the Bobcat Industries buildings, it happened twice in a row and I'm pretty sure my intake levels were full, and I was flying perfectly level, so I'm not sure what the issue was, might have just been an issue with my plane...

b3Z78fO.jpg

3 personal material limit stopped my initial design of this since I have my own roof texture, so the shared concrete material will have to do for the body of the building. Now to arrange a bunch of these and some other things to go with them!

sooooo cool! Just flew into the airport, love it! If i could do blender i would do this.

EDIT: wait if someone would build for us, Zokesia Skunkworks wants to sponsor a community park (space themed of course).

It would have lush trees, bushes, benches, and a space-age playground as well as a basketball court. It would have to have a "Zokesia Skunkworks Community Park" sign at the entrance. Would anyone be willing to build this for us?

EDIT EDIT: or a simple office building for us (we are the largest company here, we should have a building).

Edited by zekes

V3jNLCw.jpg

How complicated should I make the colliders? Because it could probably be done with 3/4 box colliders per building at the simplest. At the most complicated it would be 8 mesh colliders and 12 box colliders per building.

V3jNLCw.jpg

How complicated should I make the colliders? Because it could probably be done with 3/4 box colliders per building at the simplest. At the most complicated it would be 8 mesh colliders and 12 box colliders per building.

Could you put a "Zokesia Skunkworks" logo on one of those :D they look so good!

Could you put a "Zokesia Skunkworks" logo on one of those :D they look so good!

They're residential, not really the place for company logos. Being residential, they have an awful lot of room available as well! Each one has 704 windows, making 5632 in total.

I tried them out with everything using a mesh collider and I've encountered no real framerate drop, so they might be good to go as they are. I have no idea how to do the ground plot for them, there's room for some roads but I'm not really sure I want to use the space for that. I might stick a park in the middle instead or something using those plants nothke has mentioned.

OC09AGj.png

sooooo cool! Just flew into the airport, love it! If i could do blender i would do this.

EDIT: wait if someone would build for us, Zokesia Skunkworks wants to sponsor a community park (space themed of course).

It would have lush trees, bushes, benches, and a space-age playground as well as a basketball court. It would have to have a "Zokesia Skunkworks Community Park" sign at the entrance. Would anyone be willing to build this for us?

EDIT EDIT: or a simple office building for us (we are the largest company here, we should have a building).

in phase b, i can maybe get you a small office building

Made a practice version of the station.

(With sketchup, if you use it carefully, it can be awesome.)

Teaser- The inside :P (Textures and ground only included for display purposes.)

YhGMzxn.jpg

I'm having second thoughts. Not because I don't think I can do it, it's complicated.

I came up with this building years back, and finally seeing it in 3d reminded me how much I loved the design.

Part of me hopes to change uni subjects to buildings architecture one day.

If I do, if there is any chance I could actually build something like it in real life, I'd jump at it, and I worry adding a version of it to KSP could harm that chance somehow maybe.

IDK.

I'll think about it.

BTW, poly count is about 6.6K ATM, and that's without platforms and tracks, but there are several places I know I can get that down.

Edited by Tw1

http://i.imgur.com/YhGMzxn.jpg

I'm having second thoughts. Not because I don't think I can do it, it's complicated.

I came up with this building years back, and finally seeing it in 3d reminded me how much I loved the design.

Part of me hopes to change uni subjects to buildings architecture architecture one day.

If I do, if there is any chance I could actually build something like it in real life, I'd jump at it, and I worry adding a version of it to KSP could harm that chance somehow maybe.

IDK.

I'll think about it.

BTW, poly count is about 6.6K ATM, and that's without platforms and tracks, but there are several places I know I can get that down.

Wow, that's looks amazing.

I studied architecture and I think that your design is too classical for the real world. I don't know if anyone would build in style like that today unless it's a recreation of an old building, that your design is not. Also I think it's too comical for a real station cause it looks like.. Train. It's cool, but I don't know if I'd like to have it in my town and have tourist to come to see the train station that looks like train. It would be weird cause I don't live in Disneyland. Don't take this critique hard on you, I have a thousand sketches like this, but which are intended to be sketches.

On the other hand, the building is just PERFECT for the Kerbal world!!! =)

You should know that the tracks are PROBABLY going to be underground, on one level below so you can build the whole entrance hall.. As an entrance hall, a main concourse. Similar to the grand central perhapse (just an example don't stick to it), with stairs going below ground. Or you can do an "open pit"-like with the stairs and visible train platform below.

20130125-Grand+Central-IMG_3933-Samira+Bouaou.jpg

I am looking forward to seeing the completed model

YhGMzxn.jpg

Part of me hopes to change uni subjects to buildings architecture one day.

IDK.

I'll think about it.

The image immediately makes me think of a train station in Belgium (or was it France? My memory fails me at this time.) which resembles this very closely.

. Don't take this critique hard on you, I have a thousand sketches like this, but which are intended to be sketches.

On the other hand, the building is just PERFECT for the Kerbal world!!! =)

Don't worry, I completely see where you're coming from. If something like it was to be built, styled that like now days, it would be a big surprise. They don't build'em like they used to.

After thinking about it...

This station needs a home. I think it will be quite happy to serve as Kerbin City's central station. Just make sure it gets a good site ok? :)

I like the idea of of an open pit, with platforms coming up to the back wall. More impressive seeming, I think.

Edit:

The image immediately makes me think of a train station in Belgium (or was it France? My memory fails me at this time.) which resembles this very closely.

That would not be unlikely, I looked at many grand stations when I was designing it.

The main influence though, was Sydney's Central station, (I pass through there every day,) and Melbourne's Flinders Street station.

3140825422_42116eb081_z.jpg?zz=1

Flinders-St-071111016.jpg

Oh. Also, track size. I've been testing rail pieces with 5.2 meter wide, T shaped track, for the modular system. Would something like that suit the city as well?

Edited by Tw1

Made an account on here just to post in this thread, because this project is the first one I've seen that I might actually be able to make a meaningful contribution to, given my skill

So, is there some set of rules as far as what we are building? Sounded like most of the grid within the metropolitan area has already been divided up amongst several members of the community; If I ever wanted to add my own contribution to the surrounding area, who do I need to talk to to ensure that myself and somebody else involved don't build on the same area before everybody's content is compiled? I took a lot of architecture and CAD classes at a technical school before I moved to the college of engineering, and it remains to be one of my favorite creative outlets, and I'd love to get involved in this project, or the construction of other areas around Kerbin!

Gents, I must say this is awesome!

i was wanting to put a few structures into my game for my story so I'm glad I found this thread. I must really take a good look at the mod when I get home today.