Kerbin City Community Project - Phase B - New Islands

nothke

i got some ideas for my plot in phase b (that will be modeled in phase c :D)

I will try to do these things:

An Office for Zokesia Skunkworks

a small garden/park maybe sponsered by Zokesia Skunkworks :D

a small shop area

and, maybe a nothke and Razchek monument, becasue they are awesome!

How can i participate this? :)

I have some ideas popping in my mind... :rolleyes:

Same here, hence my previous comment :P

If you have an idea, put it forward! Or, there are a few ideas mentioned in the early pages that might not have been taken.

Or perhaps you could offer to do a town hall, a church, or performance centre.

a small shop area

Dude all of that sounds awesome!

a small shop area

This is starting to look like a monument to the KSP forum. I love it.

This is starting to look like a monument to the KSP forum. I love it.

Hey, why not. And why not take inspiration from the Roman Forum, but with KSP forum colours, and some spacey touches.

Roman-Forum-miniature-179-AD-01.jpg

Could be broken up into simple shapes, with some clever texture usage. Or maybe just use the layout.

Just ideas for whoever wants to do something like that.

How can i participate this? :)

I have some ideas popping in my mind... :rolleyes:

You can say your idea right here and I will take them into account. As for the ideas we already had, you can check the first page in the DEV CORNER under "PHASE B"

Hey, why not. And why not take inspiration from the Roman Forum, but with KSP forum colours, and some spacey touches.

Could be broken up into simple shapes, with some clever texture usage. Or maybe just use the layout.

Just ideas for whoever wants to do something like that.

Great idea, a "physical" KSP forum in Kerbin City =) Someone should make an ingame-browser so you automatically access the forum when you get in there xD

So, about phase B and C:

("almost" copied from the first page: )

This time, we take a different approach to giving out plots. Instead of giving priority to practical things, giving squared, exact dimension, free-to-build plots for everyone, this time, there is a big focus on your idea, on what YOU would like to build, rather than technical specifications. There will be completely different types of plots and districts, so if you wish to build for example a skyscraper headquarters building, you will get a small plot in the business district, on the other hand if you want to build a warehouse complex, you will get a more spread out plot in the industrial district.

Also, since KSP is a game of immense scales, from walking around/EVA-ing to flying interplanetary ships, I think we should take that in account and create areas with different detail level. What I mean is that we should have detailed "hotspots" around the city, like, the city hall, or the campus or train station or the art gallery or some other interesting areas that you can walk in and walk around, while make some areas less detailed, just meant for driving around, while some with a pretty blocky appearance just meant for flying around and making the whole city look "complete" from distance. So I think the best way to implement this is to ask people, or see how detailed they can make buildings and depending on that they have an area.

Another thing that we need is modular objects, such as street furniture (billboard structures, streetlamps, signs, etc) that can be scattered around the city or static ships around the bay. Also we will have a few more bridges.

I am going to learn how to model and texture stuf with unity just for this.

You don't model/texture in Unity, Unity is a game engine, that, in case of KSP you use just for compiling your models into game objects. To model you will need modeling software like Blender or Sketchup

Would anyone like a scrap yard full of conventional/older trains that we would use, and other stuff?

I sincerely don't think conventional trains are very Kerbal. I think we shouldn't place any static vehicles in the city cause vehicles are made by players. Unless these are some Kerbal parts like those old tanks and engines seen in the island runway. That is why I suggest we should make train tracks, but no trains cause the player will build their own trains.

Having a scrapyard full of Kerbal parts would be cool, but we don't have the models =(

Is there a resolution limit for personal textures? Started creating a texture for my skyscraper at 1024x1024 px but the landing pad and other areas that the player would be close to look very blurry.

512x512 is most optimal, I know the textures look blurry up close, so I suggest using as much tiled textures as possible for up close. Take a look at my runway for example, it's quite blurry up close, it's 512px wide, the concrete specks look terrible, but still it looks good from distance and in the end it really doesn't matter that much, stock KSP stuff like the runway looks even worse. I am sort of looking into stock KSP buildings and parts for reference.

I think that the performance is going to go drastically down when we add new plots, but I don't know until we actually see.

I worked in racing games before and you usually had a shader that combined several maps, for example diffuse+add+multiple where the diffuse could be the big base and then you would add a multiple layer and tile it much smaller so that it appears like detail when you come close. There is a similar distance blended shader used for KSP terrain, but unfortunately we don't have that shader in part tools.

Edited by nothke

Ok, here is my ideas, they are just my ideas, so i will try to do them:

a small garden/park maybe sponsered by Zokesia Skunkworks

a small shop area

a nothke and Razchek monument, becasue they are awesome!

maybe a skyscraper for the office building

a school? :D

thats my ideas for my plot, please dont take them :D i wanna do them :)

I think we need more shared textures, like a pavement texture that's more plain, and a metal texture. My plot is fairly simple and I don't know how I'll manage with 3 512x512 textures.

Maybe a glass texture too? (and all the basic ones)

I sincerely don't think conventional trains are very Kerbal. I think we shouldn't place any static vehicles in the city cause vehicles are made by players. Unless these are some Kerbal parts like those old tanks and engines seen in the island runway. That is why I suggest we should make train tracks, but no trains cause the player will build their own trains.

Having a scrapyard full of Kerbal parts would be cool, but we don't have the models =(

Well I'll see what I can do for a scrap yard.