Kerbin City Community Project - Phase B - New Islands

nothke

1. Jeb needs a mansion in the Nobles residential area

2. Zoeskia needs a building in the commercial area with their name on it

3. I might do it myself, but can someone model a rough Aperture Laboratories? To fly around in?

Hey yeah :D Im good at Google sketchup, if i made a building, could i send it to someone to put in? (that's the limit of my modding capabilities)

So many things I want to reply to...

If the residential areas could have a subway connection to the train depot, that would be nice.

That's probably fright depot, and/or maybe train stabling, but if you're hobo kerb..

It could be possible to extend the line further though, so maybe more stations could be added down the line..

Not sure about subways, but Devo has been working on a monorail that could link up parts of the city, and maybe extend into the residential and industrial areas a bit.

-snip- military installations?

I believe this was discussed in the thread ages ago, and the conclusion then was that it should be left out to match Squad's no warfare stance.

A simple house:

Looks nice! But I read somewhere that bumpmaps and textures take up more than just models- which has been true in the one part I've made so far...

So perhaps come up with a few models, and just a couple of textures? Though someone may be better informed than me about this.

Hey yeah :D Im good at Google sketchup, if i made a building, could i send it to someone to put in? (that's the limit of my modding capabilities)

It'd need texturing, but yeah, all Nothke's asked for are exported 3d models.

awesome! Ill get right on it!

So ill post the 3d model and a pic of what i kinda want it to look like (texture wize)

Ok, it's done, but i don't know if it's the right size or anything.

download?mid=bfac80cc32adb107a0e58a15e3d54441&rtyp=lt&ctyp=other&ts=1381685518000

Id like the textures to stay about the same, but more realistic (for buildings) and the first tower (in the rectangle) should say "ZOKESIA" and the other say "SKUNKWORKS" In Impact font text.

There is also a blank sign in front of the little building (left side of picture) which should have the ZS logo on it (see our first page).

Also the ground should be even with the rest of the city, the large slope is just in case it needs to go somewhere irregular.

Thanks!

Also,

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=bfac80cc32adb107a0e58a15e3d54441

How about if i re-create Kjolsen Aerospace, then we could create some Kjolsen aerospace buildings?

Wow. That company. I remember joining them, that was over a year ago... look how far we've come :D

Maybe Kjolsen Aerospace and Zokesia Skunkworks should be somehow related - e.g. Kjolsen Aerospace would be more militaristic while Zokesia Skunkworks would concentrate on creating scientific ships?

And maybe our both aerospaces should have a own space center several kilometers north of Kerbin City? And maybe we even can build more cities on Kerbin such as Medwed City from the RP?

Sorry for Double Posting.

How about a whole corporate district where Zokesia Skunkworks, Kjolsen Aerospace and their subsidaries would have their offices. It would also include a little airport/heliport for VTOL's and light craft?

I imagine driving through Kerbin City in a UAZ (or another modded car).

Maybe Kjolsen Aerospace and Zokesia Skunkworks should be somehow related - e.g. Kjolsen Aerospace would be more militaristic while Zokesia Skunkworks would concentrate on creating scientific ships?

And maybe our both aerospaces should have a own space center several kilometers north of Kerbin City? And maybe we even can build more cities on Kerbin such as Medwed City from the RP?

slow down a bit... I just want my ZS complex in the commecrial center of the city.

Can we use cyclic animation in KerbTown??

I think someone already did this.

Great Idea, I like it! :D

How About we mix some research-buildings into the University-Island?

Rocketengine-Laboratories, New-Fuel, Solar Panels, lots of Stuff to do research on!

I already got some cool ideas for some Buildings! :cool:

Yes, why not. I imagine it to look something like MIT, lots of different buildings, some experimental, clean rooms, robotic/rover test tracks, some lecture halls, some student lounges full of snacks xD

But of course it's only for experimental/research purposes, actual rocket engine (for example) production should be out in the industrial zone.

Maybe you could add some sort of military installations?
I believe this was discussed in the thread ages ago, and the conclusion then was that it should be left out to match Squad's no warfare stance.

I always imagined military in KSP as a not directly "warfare" agency but more like a military is during peacetime, just a shady government agency giving ridiculous tasks to the Space Program.. Just like it is in real life xD Issuing "Kerbin reconnaissance" missions (aka spying), performing experiments for the sake of "safety", or delivering strange cargo to orbit.

Not sure about subways, but Devo has been working on a monorail that could link up parts of the city, and maybe extend into the residential and industrial areas a bit.

I imagined a subway on the downtown island (the big island in center where business district is), just going into a loop between the central station and the south point. That idea should come though after railway.

HAHA I thought that anyone would presume "modeling" includes textures as well. It's like asking for coffee, and you don't get a cup xD I mean, it's not about modeling it's about making your own plot.

Edited by nothke

I would like to build something in the remaining plot, maybe cooperate with some else?

Problem is, i'm not quite shure what I'd build there. My first though was going to luxury Apartments

(somewhat maritime-styled) together with the little-mall I was working on today. :)

(Kind of a plaza with multiple buildings, linked together)

Maybe a little pier going down to the water, all in a very modern, lightweight style

(My father told me some Ideas when I showed him what I was doing the last couple of days) :D

The problem is..

knowing myself as a guy who is very passionate about the things he does,

I imagine it taking quite some time AND I tend to go into details :blush: I'm trying not to, but then it happens :D

(specially now, while changing the program to something with more features and better texture-creation)

But overall I think I might be ready to take it on (if no-one has a better Idea :wink: )

i am back, i have been busy along time.... but..... have i missed something?

At least 13 Pages with some new Pictures and Models, also some though about the layout of the future islands. But no new release or something like that! :)

I would like to build something in the remaining plot, maybe cooperate with some else?

Problem is, i'm not quite shure what I'd build there. My first though was going to luxury Apartments

(somewhat maritime-styled) together with the little-mall I was working on today. :)

(Kind of a plaza with multiple buildings, linked together)

Maybe a little pier going down to the water, all in a very modern, lightweight style

(My father told me some Ideas when I showed him what I was doing the last couple of days) :D

The problem is..

knowing myself as a guy who is very passionate about the things he does,

I imagine it taking quite some time AND I tend to go into details :blush: I'm trying not to, but then it happens :D

(specially now, while changing the program to something with more features and better texture-creation)

I think I will put the hospital from SurfThug there. If you have the passion and you are ready to go into detail, better do something for the next island =)

I think I will put the hospital from SurfThug there. If you have the passion and you are ready to go into detail, better do something for the next island =)

Allright! Reserve me 1 Noble-plot "Waterfront-Plaza Luxury Appartements and Marina", The Central-Gorvernment-Plot-Park-Thing, a small Downtown-Plot (Just 1 or 2 Skyscrapers) and one Industrial! :D

So if anyone will do it for me could they add the ZS complex to a free plot for me? :D THanks

Chill dude! :cool:

In the Moment there are no free plots, except the one nothke wants to place the Hospital on (pretty long in the queue)

Dont worry! Have some patience and you will get your Lot when we start with the next islands! Also I think that it would fit better into the industrial-area because of that pretty open area. But i'm a little concerned about those 2 skyscrapers. They remind me a little on the World Trade Center (The Area on the Top and those Antennas)... thou I don't know what the others feel about that. :)

Also I think that, since you are Building those huge vessels, a more spaced out Enviroment would fit better than Downtown, Surrounded by lots off High-rise! :)

Edited by Mettwurst

Chill dude! :cool:

In the Moment there are no free plots, except the one nothke wants to place the Hospital on (pretty long in the queue)

Dont worry! Have some patience and you will get your Lot when we start with the next islands! Also I think that it would fit better into the industrial-area because of that pretty open area. But i'm a little concerned about those 2 skyscrapers. They remind me a little on the World Trade Center (The Area on the Top and those Antennas)... thou I don't know what the others feel about that. :)

Also I think that, since you are Building those huge vessels, a more spaced out Enviroment would fit better than Downtown, Surrounded by lots off High-rise! :)

probably right :D thanks

Here is a 733.6 meter tall skyscraper I slapped together in SketchUp. It has a basic design as well as a helipad on top and a few air ducts.

- snip -

If you want the download to finish it, I can provide it.

Looks like that North Korean concrete hotel

http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibtimes.com/files/styles/picture_this/public/2012/02/10/229597-ryugyong-hotel.jpg

btw, now that I've imported everyone's plots, I've gotta say it looks... wow! It filled up suddenly =)