Kerbin City Community Project - Phase B - New Islands

nothke

I have a great idea: Semi-Destructible Environments!!!

I'm pretty sure that KetbTown has an 'on contact' function, which, with some carefull programming, (which I am completely incapable of) could be made to controll an animation, of the building/bridge/whatever collapsing, if it is hit at a speed higher than ?m/s...

I may be horribly wrong though. Tell me if I am.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello? Anyone?
Will there be Animated object such as blinking lights on top of the bridge pylons or lights in the buildings?

Kerbin City hasn't been updated to 0.23 since the Kerbtown plugin hasn't been updated since 0.21. It was buggy in 0.22, and I would imagine it is completely useless in 0.23, so until the developer of that plugin updates stuff, Kerbin City is effectively dead.

If you want to use this in .23, use Snjo's update. It works in .23 as far as I can tell!

http://www./download/j6...TownPlugin.zip

EDIT: Selecting a launch site does not work for some reason. Just spams errors and flings parts out at insane speeds. But it places static objects properly in the world, so you just have to fly there from ksc

Edited by ahd1601

How big is that thing? Looks tiny, maybe it's just the perspective...

Yeah, I'm having a minor fuss making it repeatably appear the correct scale in the game. It's supposed to be ~40m tall, the concrete skirt at the base is 2 meters high (or at least it was when I made it in sketchup). I can change the scale of it with the ctrl+K menu but it doesn't seem to stick between launches. Maybe I set it up wrong in Unity?

Anyway once I've finished the model and texture it won't matter for Kerbin City, because we just send the model to the project lead, right, and he sets it up in Unity with the other plots. But I'm going to learn how to do a kerbtown thing properly anyway because I think it's a plugin with a lot of potential.

EDIT: I think my mistake was at the blender stage. Going from sketchup to blender seems to have shrunk it.

Edited by comham

Hi, 3 questions,

1. Are the a couple buildings that are hollow? If so, cool!

2. Are you able to create moving objects? If so, you could make kerbals on the streets!

3. Are you going to add a city next to KSC, along the coastline should be a long board walk, along with some residential homes!

Thanks, hopefully my questions are easy to read and possible!

• 4 weeks later...

2. Are you able to create moving objects? If so, you could make kerbals on the streets!

i don't think you can make animated kerbals (unless you don't care about framerate) it does say "Static models" on the front page...

EDIT: also for whoever is modeling...

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T MAKE THE KERBAL TWIN TOWERS!

or i'll crash my space shuttle into them....

• 2 weeks later...
To breathe a little life into this tread, I would like to know what I should do with my finished plot nothke. I finished a while ago, but don't know what to do with it.

I'm not sure what the performance impact (beyond just the geometry+texture) is of kerbtown instances. Currently the city and the airport have one .mu and .cfg each, plus their textures, so they've each been set up as one unity scene. If the performance impact is low enough I don't see why we couldn't just start a second city thread and add the new submissions per-model, since OP is gone. Either way, put it up in this thread as a dropbox link so we can see what you've made :)

Adding a model to KSP as a kerbtown object is trivially easy, the modelling is the hard part.

Work in progress (needs more detail, optimised collision mesh and proper textures)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfcIT7CCcAAEz7Z.png:large

I made a model for the city as a learning exercise. 10 points if you can guess the inspiration.

I'm thinking Fireball XL-5 or one of the other Gerry and Sylvia Anderson puppetmation shows. It's been a loooong time...

I'm thinking Fireball XL-5 or one of the other Gerry and Sylvia Anderson puppetmation shows. It's been a loooong time...

Correct answer! 10 points to EatVacuum!

(I think I'll redo that model now that I know some basic blender and UV skills)