Kerbin City Community Project - Phase B - New Islands

nothke

That...that thread is by Bac9!!! It's the same guy! I'm sure!!!

Also, trying to fix this now would mean basically redoing everything. Is it very important, or can I leave the windows as they are? What is z-fighting anyway?

Edited by POTKC

Also, trying to fix this now would mean basically redoing everything. Is it very important, or can I leave the windows as they are? What is z-fighting anyway?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-fighting

As the precision of the float point decreases on distance (due to enormous distance of the far plane in KSP), so when two planes are close together and facing the same direction they appear to be in the same place to the depth buffer and will "fight" over to fill up the screen pixel. That's why you can see the flickering sometimes when in space and you look down on the edge of the ocean and land. Or just go to the Kerbin city airport and look at the taxilines xD if you look them from more than 20 meters they will flicker badly cause the taxiline plane is just a few centimeters over the ground plane. But in this case I made an exception cause they are tiny, not that noticable, and cutting the polys there would be ridiculous. But for windows and such, all the windows will flicker even on a few dosen of meters distance.

Oh god. Looks like tomorrow will include a lot of window-deleting for me...

Edit: Wait, what if the faces have nothing to clip into? Here's how my window are made (view from above):

I
I
I
-------
I
I
I
-------
I
I
I
I
I { Window
I
I
I
I
-------
I
I
I
-------
I
I
I

The 'bumps' are the window frame. There is no face behind it, so nothing to cause z-fighting? Right? Right...?

Edited by POTKC
Question.

Oh wait.. That's strange. Apparently yes xD hahahaha. I just searched for "sketchup modeling for games" and this was the best tutorial I could find

Oh god. Looks like tomorrow will include a lot of window-deleting for me... - snip-

Like that, yeah, or just cut the wall plane like this, without actually extruding anything:

I
I
I
-
I
I { Wall
I
-
I
I
I
I
I { Window
I
I
I
I
-
I
I

The problem in sketchup is that if you make rectangle on the wall, it will make his own edges and when you have a lot of them, it will be chaos, (http://img.gameru.net/img/fb316.jpg). What you should do is slice the entire face vertically and horizontally like I am doing in the video (http://youtu.be/PMwMXpBBods?t=11m1s). That is why it is much simpler to work on a single modular piece of facade and just array it than the whole wall right away.

nuuu can't get my building textured every time i try to put a texture on it the thing I dragged the texture to just turns the basic color of the texture.

PS working with a .blend file in unity

HELP!

What do you mean exactly? If you want to assign a Texture file to an object in Unity, you have to click on it in the View-Window (this will highlight the edges of the polygons in a light blue). Then you drag your Texture-File on the object and it should work. But keep in mind that not every file-format will work. Try .tga, .png or Photoshop (.psd) (if you work with it).

Maybe you saved the texture at the wrong place? :)

Sorry but it's a little hard to examine the error with your vague report :wink:

Hope I could still Help! :)

nuuu can't get my building textured every time i try to put a texture on it the thing I dragged the texture to just turns the basic color of the texture.

PS working with a .blend file in unity

HELP!

You should find one of the part model importing to KSP tutorials, I think there's plenty of them telling how to properly import a model over Unity.

About your particular problem: If you mean in Unity... When you import a model, Unity doesn't assign material and texture automatically. It makes a new material folder, with the materials you are using on the model, but you need to import textures separately. Open the material folder and import (you can just drag) the texture. Then assign it to the material and make sure you use one of the KSP shaders.

will you do a tutorial on how to get your models from sketch-up to ksp?

There's plenty of tutorials with that as I just mentioned. I just tried importing sketchup model to Unity and it's pretty straightforward.. Export it to .dae and drag into Unity. After that, see other tutorials.

ON THE OTHER HAND:

If you are working on THIS PROJECT, as I presume cause you are asking it here, you don't even need to mess with Unity. All you need to do is send me the models (in .fbx, .obj or .dae) and I will prepare them for KSP.

Edited by nothke

I've been thinking a lot about my plot, my bridge, and what I want to do for my side of the project.

Me and Nothke have talked about my plot, and I honestly don't know what to.

To be honest, I am not a great modeler like Bobcat, or even a reasonable one (you saw my plot)

So I feel slightly stuck.

Do I model my plot and give a bad product to the mod...

Or drop out, and let someone take my place.

I think that I can't deliver a super high quality plot like others, but I also believe I have too much to do to drop out of this project entirely.

Nothke, community, I need some help here. (as in, WHAT SHOULD I DO :huh:) ​(all caps for reasons)

Yes but Netherlands is a very flat low laying country where the sea is also pretty shallow. I don't look at the Kerbin City islands as "land reclamation" but more like peninsulas that already were there, even they don't really exist on the actual "terrain" but should.

You probably mean why is the "seaport" in the back? The reason is that you would need to take ships under the bridges and look around the city cause it's just cool =) but not realistic of course. Also the water is much calmer inside there =)

That's an interesting idea, but there is no global warming on Kerbin, and Kerbals are certainly ready for any kind of "impending death" xD

Hey, sorry for the late reply. I have been and still am terribly busy right now with school (semester is almost coming to an end so lots and lots of exams (Yey:s)) I didnt really word out what I was thinking of. Although I was using my current knowledge of water management and land reclamation in the Netherlands, I was looking more at a Manhattan (an natural peninsula on which people have expanded, mostly with landfill) and New Orleans (a large portion of which is under sea level as we all sadly remember) There is hardly a city that isn't building levees. I guess it is fashionable and has the side effect of only saving millions of lives, which is nice. I was thinking of maybe a ring road around KC that would go over the levee with a bridge, 60 meters above the sea so ships can pass. (think Golden Gate, although I am a personal fan of the cantilever, seems very Kerbal :P) Also, instead of having your land 10 meters above sea level, the plots I am thinking of should only be 1 to 2 meters high. This would also give a perfect opportunity for canals like Amsterdam and Venice.

The biggest problem about the map I see here is that you didn't mind airport flight/landing paths and rivers (that I noted in a post few pages ago). Otherwise the city is just too big. We need 3 months to fill up one island and I don't plan to be on this project for a long time.

I'll have to give in on that point. It is big. I liked the suggestion of one person to just 'Lego' it and speed up the process. Maybe a basic building on a plot. If someone wants to build something, then they get the plot. I think it would make a much more fluid transition and possibly give the mod an extra popularity boost if it was 'beta-ready.'

About the flightpath... In hindsight I think light blue 2 and orange 3 are a bit overkill. I put them in so as to fill up dead space. It was also pointed out that the train station isnt in the most ideal of a location. Shifting that into the residential (green) section could solve that problem and (for a real world solution) help congestion by spreading out the transport hubs across the city. I like your idea about the seaport (and yes, i did spell that incorrectly which is pretty bad xD.) In RL I would win this argument. But this is KSP and the ships wont get that big. Shifting it back is possible and then you could free up some space for the river (if it ever flows again...)

I would rather wish that the Kerbals have social equality, so there are no really "classes", sure some Kerbals are more artistic and some more scientific, some are bosses some are workers, but I don't think they need aristocratic villas areas to show off. Even if some do, it certainly wouldn't be "gated". If a Kerbal has higher income, then he pays higher taxes =) I imagine them as having a very good social politics, therefore they can invest everything in science, technology and space exploration and they don't really care about personal wealth cause they only think about space and science =)

Otherwise, most of these ideas are already mention and thought of, but there are some nice ones. I'll keep this in mind.

And residential doesn't even have my priority in interest. It is more for a SimCity feel to it. Maybe for long term or something. I am just wondering, do you live in the US, cause then you must be a communist xD but elsewhere you would be an average Joe for saying something like that xD (I'm also American but I moved to Holland when I was 12). I would love to contribute, but whenever I try out Blender I go into a fetal position and start sobbing like a blubbering baboon. If I have time I could do some Google sketch, but it is very uncertain how much time I have. First free days of university I have is for Christmas and new years, then exams...

So if I can contribute in anyway that isnt too time consuming I would love to. I haven't tried out this mod yet because of a promise I made myself to only play Killing floor until November so as to have time to study and not game too much, but once november wakes me up again I will certainly try it out!

@social equality I'm pretty sure anyone who attempted to instil some form of a class system would soon find a rocket embedded in his/her house. While different styles, types, and "classes" of home might look nice, they just don't fit (in my mind) with the Kerbal civilization.

Look Nothke, I think I'm gonna drop out. I've discovered so far that my talent is not in modeling, but I'm more suited to coding. I haven't really contributed to the project much so i think I won't be missed greatly, you have my few models incase you wish to implement them. I will follow the project intently and wish everyone the best in getting this thing done.

See ya'!

Working with sketch-up.. think i got the basics down

im going to build an police HQ (unless someone else is doing that already)

so far i have heli pads,semi finished HQ,parking lot, gate and guard post and a street. plan on having guard towers, police cars, jail, if you have more ideas tell me please.

DaUalca.png9DG77Gil.pngEwILkWul.png

Edited by brobel