Kerbin City Community Project - Phase B - New Islands

nothke

I could try, I'm not THAT good though. What style of building would you like?

I dont really mind, just a tall building, like a skytower or something. But if u could can u put a landing pad ontop that would be great so i could crash into my headquarters trying to land a VTOL :D

Didn't nothke say that he wanted to keep it military-free?

hmm I did not see this, this will put a rather large spanner in my works as Wayland Corp is also the military construction zone, oh well its not a big deal, if he doesn't want any military zones I can just release as a seperate zone and build it in an alternative location, Im almost taking up 2 blocks as it is with it all.

Didn't nothke say that he wanted to keep it military-free?

Not really completely, what I said:

I always imagined military in KSP as a not directly "warfare" agency but more like a military is during peacetime, just a shady government agency giving ridiculous tasks to the Space Program.. Just like it is in real life xD Issuing "Kerbin reconnaissance" missions (aka spying), performing experiments for the sake of "safety", or delivering strange cargo to orbit.

So if you want to make military HQ buildings or such (as is real-life pentagon or Langley and such), why not, just don't display weapons and explicitly show-off it's "militariness". Make it more mysterious and shady. =P ... if you know what I mean.

BTW, that building looks really cool. I'd love for it to be a police station =) but it's your call, make it whatever you want.

Edited by nothke

I'm gonna drop out of the project because I'm not so good in modeling stuff and I'm also getting really busy in real life. I will still follow this project every day as an Admin and manage the spreadsheet.

For the next days I'm gonna work on the KC site so it's back up-to-date for the next release of the build.

nothke :since tom1499 left can i have his plot D4

Progress :) :

KtUBebPl.png

police cars with basic texture, building now has a satellite dish and am deciding what window texture i want

dont worry i will not go over the 3 texture limit and have not.

Edited by brobel

"I'm posting this here, as Nothke has been overrun with PM's (he actually can't accept anymore, the forum doesn't allow it)"

I don't have much on it at the moment (I've been lagging(not in game, as in, I haven't been working on it much)

v20w5zF.png

btgWgUr.png

The seats are low poly, only 12 verts each.

Sorry about the crazy textures, I'm not the best with texturing.

-Cooly568-

Seeing as Cooly568 said that Nothke is overrun by PM's, im posting image of this skyscraper called "The Radiator" because in the spreadsheet of who does what, i was listed as making a twin tower which is weird but eh.

roughly 90-100m tall, same at widest width. Good location for sweet flying maneuvers and roof has dual Heli-pads. I know the windows look a bit weird but with the texture budget i could not do much more detail.

LtdmSCU.png

Edited by Hofugir

Seeing as Cooly568 said that Nothke is overrun by PM's, im posting image of this skyscraper called "The Radiator" because in the spreadsheet of who does what, i was listed as making a twin tower which is weird but eh.

roughly 90-100m tall, same at widest width. Good location for sweet flying maneuvers and roof has dual Heli-pads. I know the windows look a bit weird but with the texture budget i could not do much more detail.

Oh wow it looks great, don't mind the texture quality, it has a very "balanced" look even without higher res texture.

My inbox is not full anymore, but if you want to display models and ask for things, you better do it here (unless it's very personal xD). When sending models you should pm me.

The bridge looks great Cooly, but one thing I noticed, it looked like the bridge is straight. But in real life suspension bridges kind of curve upwards. Other-wise looks amazing.

Side-note: Anyone have an opinions on the picture of the buildings I posted on page 90? No one has said anything about so far.

Hofugir, I am sorry about this, but your model is actually perfect for explaining some bad modeling practices,

First, you have merged the helipads and the roof poly together and created a lot of unnecessary polys (you are working in Skethup no?). Instead you should have grouped the helipad model and then layed it on top of the roof to keep the poly not creating additional unnecessary edges:

ZueG2K4.png?1

I solved this problem by erasing the roof plane and making a new poly with just 2 quads /4 tris (I made 2 quads here cause the plane is big and to prevent potential collision problems.

XH5awvs.png?1

Second, you created stairs with a lot of detail in the mesh.

It is better to make stairs just as one slope with a stair looking texture. but lets keep it this way as you've made it and lets focus on making a proper collider for them. As these will be all mesh colliders you certainly won't be able to walk over these stairs in KSP, cause the polys are too small, and too close together (the back sides of each step). The collision with the Kerbal would just be too buggy, he would fall over, go through stairs or bounce around..

What you need to do is make a separate much less poly collision model that will not be rendered:

UD7tue5.png?1

So what I did here is make 3 simple low poly meshes that cover the stairs (red) and the railings (blue), I will merge them later (just made them separate so you can see), put a mesh collider in Unity and MAKE THEM INVISIBLE, so that you see the original stairs mesh, but you actually "interact" with the proxy collider. Should be no problems now..

So for colliders, they need to be as low poly as possible, but not larger than 200m, cause then Kerbals tend to sink through. Also a lot of collision faces slows down the game and when KC gets more developed it would certainly choke it.

EDIT: Not only that you have merged helipads with the roof poly, but you have merged each step of the stairs to the side. There is A LOT of unnecessary edges and polys now as you can see.

mOO86eel.png?1

This one is actually more extreme than the extreme case shown by bac9 something exactly given as an example by bac9 in his Sketchup for games tutorial. I solved this by overlaying boxes over your model. In the end I just removed the faces that you don't see.

0houmTq.png?2

And here comes a new rule:

Everyone making models for the project, needs to read this tutorial!!! (either you are working in Sketchup or not, it's very useful)

http://www.crydev.net/viewtopic.php?p=819235

it especially focuses on the invisible edges that the Sketchup makes and how to group objects to avoid that happening.

Edited by nothke

Nothke, i knew this helipad issues and the ladders, i was expecting you to rant about it. I work in C4D. I did that because im tired and do these things usually when im tired or bored. Forgive me for making it so hard for you. I merged the stuff toghether because i forgot about all that mesh issues and just cared about not having tonnes of objects cluttering my object list.

Edited by Hofugir

hello everyone, this is my first time posting, but i am following this topic over a month or so,

My question is how can I participate in this project, I can't figure it out somehow. yesterday I was bored so i made this nuclear power plant. http://i.imgur.com/SXAywv2.jpg

I hope someone can give me some feedback and tell me how to join.

thanks anyway.

Welcome! :)

This looks F**king Awesome! Great Work!

Nothke is the Development-Leader here, so he will handle with you. :)

With that Model you can consider yourself right now part of the Team!

hello everyone, this is my first time posting, but i am following this topic over a month or so,

My question is how can I participate in this project, I can't figure it out somehow. yesterday I was bored so i made this nuclear power plant. http://i.imgur.com/SXAywv2.jpg

I hope someone can give me some feedback and tell me how to join.

thanks anyway.

Very cool building, I will add you to the development list.

Anyone have anything to say bout my buildings? Nobody has said anything about them the past few times I've posted the pictures on the forum. Criticism would be very helpful.

Also I love the power plant, keep at it.

If you're not getting reactions it means that its a good build/plot. No news, is good news.