Kerbin City Community Project - Phase B - New Islands

nothke

Ooo! It has revived!

One thing though, my rails project is pretty much dead in the water right now, short of getting a few others to help. I'll still make something train station like eventually, if you want.

I have reserved a lot for the train station. I will not yet put the exact track profile yet as we haven't decided on it (IIRC), but the track path will exist. In the pictures you can see it, it's that elevated narrow platform coming off the brick bridge and then turning north. Right in the middle of the island is the lot for the station.

Edited by nothke

• 2 weeks later...

I love this concept - i've just had a yearning to see little Kerbin suburbs sprawled out around the edges of the inner-city plots. Are there suburban areas planned by anyone? Little modernist 60's - 70's themed houses with letterboxes and shrubbery would be adorable :P

haw11.jpg

Hey, could Kinematic Inc. get a building? I can create the model and textures.

I love this concept - i've just had a yearning to see little Kerbin suburbs sprawled out around the edges of the inner-city plots. Are there suburban areas planned by anyone? Little modernist 60's - 70's themed houses with letterboxes and shrubbery would be adorable k_tongue.gif

http://www.wowhaus.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/haw11.jpg

*opens The Sims 3*

I love this concept - i've just had a yearning to see little Kerbin suburbs sprawled out around the edges of the inner-city plots. Are there suburban areas planned by anyone? Little modernist 60's - 70's themed houses with letterboxes and shrubbery would be adorable :P

http://www.wowhaus.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/haw11.jpg

It only depends if someone is willing to make it =)

When I was playing around i noticed that:

Stadium walls don't have colisionbox (my missiles flies through it)

Two towers' roof don't have it neither (these same looking skyscrapers)

Surface near runway (that bright one) have strange colision box. Wheels rides on it, but wings 'sinks'

Playing in Kerbin City:

Edited by Mareczex333

Dude! you should have mephobia (Google it)!

in all seriousness, that is just awesome, I wish I could fly and build like that... Any tips?

Also, do your craft work with FAR? Or do I have to uninstall it to experience true awesomeness?

I didn't try to fly them with FAR (I'm using only visual mods and stock parts)

Let's stick to the topic.

I don't know much about modeling, but I can find more 'bugs' there.

I know that there are no colision boxes becasue of cpu performance.

*opens The Sims 3*

Ohgodno. Don't take me back to the madness that was my Sims 2 Tudor-Stuart themed island. Bad things happened.

It only depends if someone is willing to make it =)

Do you have free plots around the edges? Could be a nice placeholder for urban development, the suburbs get pushed further and further outwards as more skyscrapers develop in the centre. I'd be keen to make a few scattered blocks of houses after Universal Storage reaches version 1.0 :D

Oh, and sorry if i've missed something - but is there any reason this is mostly built over "reclaimed" land, and not on the stock terrain? Just aesthetic reasons?

Edited by Daishi

is there any reason this is mostly built over "reclaimed" land, and not on the stock terrain? Just aesthetic reasons?

It's a lot easier to make the plots flat than to have to try to match the natural terrain, so it's simplicity of modeling as well as some aesthetic.

It's been ages since I've ever worked on anything for this... My original concept will probably be left behind so that I can do something a bit easier. Will post any updates for that.

Surface near runway (that bright one) have strange colision box. Wheels rides on it, but wings 'sinks'

Wings and other thin parts have always done this to me everywhere.

When I was playing around i noticed that:

Stadium walls don't have colisionbox (my missiles flies through it)

Two towers' roof don't have it neither (these same looking skyscrapers)

Playing in Kerbin City:

Wow! Really cool video =)

The stadium walls are a known error, they don't have the collider. I am not sure about the skyscrapers, I'll check. There is also a stairwell between the taxiway and the airport tunnel where I accidentally forgot to put collisions on the stairs, so it, literally is a stairWELL. Taxiway collisions, hmm, I'll check but they should be fine. All these things will be fixed in the next build btw.

Do you have free plots around the edges? Could be a nice placeholder for urban development, the suburbs get pushed further and further outwards as more skyscrapers develop in the centre. I'd be keen to make a few scattered blocks of houses after Universal Storage reaches version 1.0 :D

If you want to take the plots "around the edges" you are basically free to design the coast to whatever you want, so you could even extend the island.

Oh, and sorry if i've missed something - but is there any reason this is mostly built over "reclaimed" land, and not on the stock terrain? Just aesthetic reasons?

Yeah, there is several of them, first it is much easier to build on the plots that you have in your modeling software and not having to match with the terrain in game. Also, it's possible to make streets that match buildings and plots perfectly making it look "harmonious". Second, the terrain might change in the future (Squad does this from time to time), so if you build something on land and follow the landscape, the terrain could change in some version and your stuff is suddenly underground and if you try to correct it you see that you should rather redesign everything. On the other hand, you are always sure that water will always be flat and at 0. The only case when I matched the road with terrain was with the road that connects Eastern island and airport, so I had to risk in case of future terrain changes, and it still was really difficult to set up in game, (I still have to perfectly match the bridge end to end). ALSO, it is possible to create your own terrain as a model AAAND it is also possible to dig tunnels through it if you wish, which are not possible through standard terrain. If you wonder what is the reason the islands are flat is just cause it's easier to put things on it (and less work for me xD).

Can I apply?

Of course you can. What do you want to build?

Edited by nothke

If you want to take the plots "around the edges" you are basically free to design the coast to whatever you want, so you could even extend the island.

Cool, consider me interested :) Are there download links for the plots and\or reference buildings for scale and placement anywhere?

Yeah, there is several of them, first it is much easier to build on the plots that you have in your modeling software and not having to match with the terrain in game. Also, it's possible to make streets that match buildings and plots perfectly making it look "harmonious". Second, the terrain might change in the future (Squad does this from time to time), so if you build something on land and follow the landscape, the terrain could change in some version and your stuff is suddenly underground and if you try to correct it you see that you should rather redesign everything. On the other hand, you are always sure that water will always be flat and at 0. The only case when I matched the road with terrain was with the road that connects Eastern island and airport, so I had to risk in case of future terrain changes, and it still was really difficult to set up in game, (I still have to perfectly match the bridge end to end). ALSO, it is possible to create your own terrain as a model AAAND it is also possible to dig tunnels through it if you wish, which are not possible through standard terrain. If you wonder what is the reason the islands are flat is just cause it's easier to put things on it (and less work for me xD).

Makes sense, you wouldn't believe how many moon bases I lost to terrain and CM changes between builds >.< In regards to texture sharing, is it possible to use other peoples textures to save ram? I'm eyeing up those transparent tree ones.

Are there download links for the plots and\or reference buildings for scale and placement anywhere?

I will put up the models of new islands during the following week, so you can directly build on that model.

In regards to texture sharing, is it possible to use other peoples textures to save ram? I'm eyeing up those transparent tree ones.

I am planning to make a single big alpha texture with maybe 4 types of trees, so everyone would need to share this texture for all the vegetation to reduce usage of transparent textures. For now, you can use the already used ones, I strongly suggest reusing existing textures =)

I will put up the models of new islands during the following week, so you can directly build on that model.

I am planning to make a single big alpha texture with maybe 4 types of trees, so everyone would need to share this texture for all the vegetation to reduce usage of transparent textures.

Thank you, looking forward to working on it :)

Nothke, should I send you the residential area island I made a while ago? It is about 200X500 meters and has a bunch if houses on it. I think I posted screenshots from Sketchup here before new year.