Kerbin City Community Project - Phase B - New Islands

nothke

The city looks great, however right now it lacks personality. You all are doing an amazing job working on this and I would like to offer some assistance. I'm not too terribly great at modelling building, unless through an easy to use SDK (i.e. Source SDK), however I can create suitable textures and art. What I had in mind was billboards and advertisements in the city. My first concept was a Kerbal vs. Kraken movie billboard. If anyone would like to make the model for the billboard and provide me the specifics for the board's texture, I would be happy to create the advertisement. I would just need the dimensions, pixel count, file type, etc. I would love to contribute!

The city looks great, however right now it lacks personality. You all are doing an amazing job working on this and I would like to offer some assistance. I'm not too terribly great at modelling building, unless through an easy to use SDK (i.e. Source SDK), however I can create suitable textures and art. What I had in mind was billboards and advertisements in the city. My first concept was a Kerbal vs. Kraken movie billboard. If anyone would like to make the model for the billboard and provide me the specifics for the board's texture, I would be happy to create the advertisement. I would just need the dimensions, pixel count, file type, etc. I would love to contribute!

http://oi61.tinypic.com/vqqvj5.jpg Billboard meant for sitting on roofs.

http://oi62.tinypic.com/1zcz3u9.jpg Billboard meant for being attached to the ground and held up by support.

Just to clarify, does this make Nothke Kerbin's first Mayor?

He can declare himself to be supreme benevolent overlord of Kerbin for all I care. LOL :D

http://oi61.tinypic.com/vqqvj5.jpg Billboard meant for sitting on roofs.

http://oi62.tinypic.com/1zcz3u9.jpg Billboard meant for being attached to the ground and held up by support.

This is great, we need street furniture and billboards. There already is a billboard for Kerburger on Nazari's plot =) These models look good, however I think it would be better if the board was rectangular without the rounded edges.

Oh hey, I've read up on Phase B, and though I'm not a CG modeler, I AM an artist (usually prefer pencil, but I work in photoshop, among a few other things)... and though I may not model a building (or what I wanted to do), but I can draw... so... Statue of Kerbity... or perhaps the monument to fallen Kerbals (kinda like those soldier monuments, only sillier, to represent the Kerbal spirit)???

Oh hey, I've read up on Phase B, and though I'm not a CG modeler, I AM an artist (usually prefer pencil, but I work in photoshop, among a few other things)... and though I may not model a building (or what I wanted to do), but I can draw... so... Statue of Kerbity... or perhaps the monument to fallen Kerbals (kinda like those soldier monuments, only sillier, to represent the Kerbal spirit)???

That's a good idea =) Frogbull already did something like "Statue of Kerbity" (LINK) but he didn't send me the model and he didn't appear on forums since April.. So, you can chose what you want to do =)

That's a good idea =) Frogbull already did something like "Statue of Kerbity" (LINK) but he didn't send me the model and he didn't appear on forums since April.. So, you can chose what you want to do =)

Hmmm... yeah, not to shoot him down, or anything, but I can draw a better illustration for the Statue of Kerbity. Dunno about a Character Sheet, though (for unified proportions)... maybe.

But already my mind is abuzz with ideas (probably smiling, instead of the stoic but welcoming-face of the statue that inspires, a wrench or ratchet with a lightbulb instead of a torch, and a clipboard with rocket schematics instead of the tablets).

Edited by Dire_Squid

Hmmm... yeah, not to shoot him down, or anything, but I can draw a better illustration for the Statue of Kerbity. Dunno about a Character Sheet, though (for unified proportions)... maybe.

But already my mind is abuzz with ideas (probably smiling, instead of the stoic but welcoming-face of the statue that inspires, a wrench or ratchet with a lightbulb instead of a torch, and a clipboard with rocket schematics instead of the tablets).

I like the smile, wrench, and clipboard idea, captures the feel of the game perfectly :)

Hey guys, finally back to my computer. So, nothke, what file type do you want my model in? Once I know that I can export it and send you a download.

You can find the info about it in the OP under "Before..." and "How to send me the models"

So TannerBJ, do you want like the model or whatever so you can texture it? I can get you the UV map...

That would be great. I'll try to get at least a couple complete before the college semester starts up again in the next two weeks. If you or anyone else has any ideas for advertisements, just let me know and I'll see what I can do.

How about an advertisement for the Kerbal Space Program? Perhaps trying to hire new kerbonauts because some might be stranded on the Mun.

This is good. when I first read this an image of a Kerbalized Soviet recruitment poster came to mind. I think it might be better to go for a more subtle approach, but I'll definitely do a few recruitment posters. I'll make some doodles and see which ones really capture the feel of the game

I'm still keeping an eye out on this mod since 2013 last year.

I'm only a bit dissapointed that progress is at a slow pace, makes me feel guilty that I have no modeling or programming skills...

I can spew out ideas but it would all be just "talk" without any real "action".

Although I guess one little suggestion would make K City EXTREMELY more fun

-> Fixing the bridges to have the highway loop completely connected.

I mean at least that should get people to cruise around in their rovers enjoying the scenery.

I use this mod http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/61717-InfiniteDice-ICE-An-alternative-Engine-Module-for-Atmospheric-Vehicles

and I always get dissapointed I cant cruise continuously around K cities highway.

Hey nothke, I just realized that I left a texture out of the files I sent you. It's for the sign on one of the buildings. This is the texture I missed:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jekamr0fhxqtkzv/Ueb2ytr.png

No prob, I have included it in one of your textures and remapped the sign. I have finished fixing your plot now and I'll export it now so it will be included in the next build.

Edited by nothke