I'm planning on buying KSP...

KulaKicker

First off, our Store downloads come from Amazon's servers when we do releases, so there's no bandwidth issues there. The only bottle neck is accessing the store to get to the link.

Secondly, the Steam version is the exact same version as the Store version. There is no difference. The only difference between the versions is where it's downloaded from. You can even get the last stable release on Steam and the Store.

As stated above, you have complete control over Steam updating, you just need to set it.

The advantage to having the Steam copy is you can download, install, and run from any PC you can login to Steam with. Visiting someone 1000's of miles away from home and want to play KSP? Just log onto any PC with Steam and BAM, you have access to ALL your Steam games.

Cheers!

Capt'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

Just curios OP, are you willing to give out your credit card info to yet one more company? To trust yet one more company with that information and hope they never get hacked? If you already have Steam, then you won't have to give the info to another company, but if you don't already have Steam then it's a wash.

I wonder if when a company allows their product to later be transferred to Steam, does Steam get a payment? It's kind of not fair to Steam to have to send out all that data and them not receive anything for their trouble.

You do realize that buying from Squad means you are much more likely to repeat the same experience again right?

I mean, I don't want to hate on Squad, they've made an absolutely amazing game that I love. But if I had to choose which of two companies stand the best chance of surviving long term, I'm taking Valve/Steam over Squad any day of the week.

I 100% guarantee that one day, the only place you will be able to get this game legally is through Steam's servers.

Except I can backup the non steam version on a DVD or a backup HDD. I cannot do that with most of the games I bought on Steam. I can create backups, but they will only run if steam is running as well. Do not get me wrong I love steam, and I have plenty of games on it, but if there is an option to cut out an Intermediary, I will go for that option.

Just curios OP, are you willing to give out your credit card info to yet one more company? To trust yet one more company with that information and hope they never get hacked? If you already have Steam, then you won't have to give the info to another company, but if you don't already have Steam then it's a wash.

I wonder if when a company allows their product to later be transferred to Steam, does Steam get a payment? It's kind of not fair to Steam to have to send out all that data and them not receive anything for their trouble.

Yes, that would be a point to consider, but whether you buy from store or Steam, It all goes through Paypal anyway.

Or, if you're a really cool kid, you can buy it on both platforms, like me! :D

Really, it's not a matter of right/wrong, it's a matter of preference, so buying it on one platform or another doesn't really matter. If SQUAD actually got significantly less money from selling it on Steam, don't you think they would, you know, not sell it on Steam? It's really just up to what you want to run it from, there's no real difference.

Except I can backup the non steam version on a DVD or a backup HDD. I cannot do that with most of the games I bought on Steam. I can create backups, but they will only run if steam is running as well. Do not get me wrong I love steam, and I have plenty of games on it, but if there is an option to cut out an Intermediary, I will go for that option.

Steam KSP is exactly the same as the non steam version as Skunky said, you can just copy the all folder somewhere else and play from it, you only really need steam to download and update it if you buy it from steam.

You do know that steam offer you an option to not automatically update any game? In fact any software I know of always offer the choice to automatically update or not. And you can also revert to the previous version on steam for KSP.

I wouldn't want that update feature though - I like to do that manually for games with excessive modding, where you sometimes also modify some base files

Plus (I don't know about the exact number) I'm sure steam takes like a 20-30% cut so buying it on their store is going to get more money to the devs, and less money to that valve company that already has more than enough money anyways.

Except I can backup the non steam version on a DVD or a backup HDD. I cannot do that with MOST of the games I bought on Steam. I can create backups, but they will only run if steam is running as well. Do not get me wrong I love steam, and I have plenty of games on it, but if there is an option to cut out an Intermediary, I will go for that option.
Steam KSP is exactly the same as the non steam version as Skunky said, you can just copy the all folder somewhere else and play from it, you only really need steam to download and update it if you buy it from steam.

...aaand I knew someone would say this as I was writing that sentence.

You do know that steam offer you an option to not automatically update any game? In fact any software I know of always offer the choice to automatically update or not. And you can also revert to the previous version on steam for KSP.

Someone mentioned earlier in some other thread that it resets to automatic updates after steam has been restarted.

If this is the case then that makes that feature pretty pointless.

Also out of curiosity.. If one were to buy KSP for windows on steam, would you then be able to also install it on a linux or mac system without buying another copy for these said platforms?

Also out of curiosity.. If one were to buy KSP for windows on steam, would you then be able to also install it on a linux or mac system without buying another copy for these said platforms?
KSP is SteamPlay. "Buy once, play on Windows, Linux, and Mac." their slogan goes, I believe.

I don't think I ever saw any game that sold for different platforms separately on Steam.

Speaking of buying the game with a credit card...

Steam allowed me to avoid having to do that, because it is fairly easy to buy Steam wallet codes retail in shops. I'm one of those crazys that avoids credit cards like the plague. If KSP wasn't on Steam, I wouldn't have been able to purchase it full stop.

Speaking of buying the game with a credit card...

Steam allowed me to avoid having to do that, because it is fairly easy to buy Steam wallet codes retail in shops. I'm one of those crazys that avoids credit cards like the plague. If KSP wasn't on Steam, I wouldn't have been able to purchase it full stop.

Thats not actually a problem. I havent used them myself yet but from what i heard most modern credit-card-companies offer "pre-paid-creditcards".

So... because you think SQUAD will be less capable of lasting as long as Steam, your solution is to give SQUAD less money...

Okay... MetIxxt.png

Great point!

FYI, Squad has recently improved their ordering page on their store, it is much nicer, intuitive and easy.

As for Steam, I prefer not to have another service running in the background of my computer and scanning my installations. I also like to keep my older versions of KSP, with saves. Since Steam "updates" I am not sure you are able to keep the originals intact. ?

Since Steam "updates" I am not sure you are able to keep the originals intact. ?

As has been said many, many, many times before, you can shut off automatic updates for KSP from within Steam and, since KSP has no DRM for Steam to enforce, nor any sort of OS-specific settings, you can simply copy your install directory somewhere else and keep old versions. I still have my 0.20 install directory backed up.

Thats not actually a problem. I havent used them myself yet but from what i heard most modern credit-card-companies offer "pre-paid-creditcards".

Well, I guess it's as much of a problem as you choose to make it. Pre-paid credit cards or not, I pay with cash. My bank harrasses me about it constantly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.