KSP "A HA!" moments

JMap1

Whilst I was building a Minmus base I noticed that twice a kerbal day the KSC is directly underneath the path of Minmus. So I could save time and fuel by simply waiting till the launch pad is directly underneath the path and launch in the same inclination as Minmus. If Minmus is going south just launch in a 96 degree heading. If going up launch in a 82 degree heading.

If done right you don't need to do a mid-course correction to set the inclination right. Saves time when you got a lot of crafts going that way.

1) Working out how to dock

2) Making a working plane, flying it successfully and landing it, then repeating the procedure with multiple aircraft consistently; No, really, I managed to dock two 200t spacecraft with a 5-port connection before I could land a plane.

3) Realising you could switch between planets in the map screen using "TAB".

4) Realising that double-clicking on an apoapsis, periapsis or any other orbital indicator will keep it there instead of having to mouse over every time

5) Repacking parachutes

6) Fixing wheels (and in the process learning that reading update/patch notes = good idea)

7) Putting rover wheels on the right way round; I couldn't work out why it wouldn't move, and the nice people on KSP forum helped with that :D

8) Using docking mode for rovers and/or changing ASWD rover controls to IJKL

In other words, a lot of fairly useful stuff I missed out on by several months :D

Whilst I was building a Minmus base I noticed that twice a kerbal day the KSC is directly underneath the path of Minmus. So I could save time and fuel by simply waiting till the launch pad is directly underneath the path and launch in the same inclination as Minmus. If Minmus is going south just launch in a 96 degree heading. If going up launch in a 82 degree heading.

If done right you don't need to do a mid-course correction to set the inclination right. Saves time when you got a lot of crafts going that way.

Don't mind if i help myself to these goods - *pickpockets idea*

What does this accomplish that not more easily done with standard KAS plugs and magnets?

quite a bit. If you're using a DamnedRobotic hinged arm with a docking port on the end then docking will mess up the hinges, but if you put the port on a KAS stack coupler and then set the winch into undocked mode you can dock and not break the hinges and still have the arm move parts around. If you're doing a unmanned base assembly and don't have any kerbals about to connect KAS plugs this gets the job done and is much more stable and reliable than trying to use magnets (which I found tended to rip things apart).

I used this trick in my constellation style mission to Duna (and boy did it take me ages to figure that out!!)

My latest ah HA moment was when Jeb (bless his cotton socks) got his head stuck between two parts of the lander and couldn't get free. After a few futile attempts of Bob kicking him I realised that Bob could actually attach a KAS plug to Jebs head and then use a winch to pull him out. Did not realise you could attach KAS plugs to kerbals in the same way as to parts!

Here's Bob laughing at Jeb afterwards cos it looks like Jeb has a brain slug;

nwD9Lh2m.jpg

Building around a delivery versus building under it was one of my AHA's too

Here is my delivery system system for the spar arms of the orginal spindle station at Kerbin

NDYMG.png

DHDki.png

The part in place without all those pesky rockets around it

jSPLx.png

Then I thought... How about a send up the puel pods for spindle in bundles. With spindle I needed to get 12 double stacked FL-T800 to the station and the idea of taking up 12 trips wearied me. So hence the multi fuel pod launch vehikle. You can see the longer double stacks on the side of the central thrust each with their own probe to control them when disattached for docking to spindle.

iB4aZ.jpg

gBuht.png

Here is spindle almost done.

1LdMN.png

I lost her in the 19 to 20 migration and have not worked up the heart to rebuild and design it. My current spindle station id built broader but with fewer parts

OPCaE5b.png

I hope everyone's aha moment continue

Alacrity

That's exactly the way it works in the real world too, for any mission that is mass-constrained and can't spare the fuel for a sizable plane change. Now, launches to GTO don't use this method (since the plane change to the desired final orbit is the same for each launch site) but DOES apply for inclined orbits, rendezvous with already-orbiting targets and other planets.

It is most definitely faster for that procedure. However, it is more expensive fuel-wise. With the current sandbox, the sky's the limit with what you can spend on, but you will find that more conservative steps will be needed for campaign mode. Which is fast approaching, might I add...

quite a bit. If you're using a DamnedRobotic hinged arm with a docking port on the end then docking will mess up the hinges, but if you put the port on a KAS stack coupler and then set the winch into undocked mode you can dock and not break the hinges and still have the arm move parts around. If you're doing a unmanned base assembly and don't have any kerbals about to connect KAS plugs this gets the job done and is much more stable and reliable than trying to use magnets (which I found tended to rip things apart).

I used this trick in my constellation style mission to Duna (and boy did it take me ages to figure that out!!)

My latest ah HA moment was when Jeb (bless his cotton socks) got his head stuck between two parts of the lander and couldn't get free. After a few futile attempts of Bob kicking him I realised that Bob could actually attach a KAS plug to Jebs head and then use a winch to pull him out. Did not realise you could attach KAS plugs to kerbals in the same way as to parts!

nwD9Lh2m.jpg

-snigger snigger- THAT IS SO... -breaks into hysterical laguhing and giggleing-

When i figured out how to auto fire Liquid fuel missiles. that was great.

So i could do this:

*snip*

I would like to know that.... Right now my fighters missiles come in two varieties. Decouple, switch to and launch, and rip the wings off. Sadly the rip the wings off ones are more accurate for me...Good thing its in space and once I fire all of my rockets I don't need the wings.

nwD9Lh2m.jpg

Bahahaha. And that is genius... Wonder which one will be less work for me though, doing this or going to the tracking station and back to have Jeb (or in my case Bill is the one who tends to get stuck) pop out.

@katateochi - That was one hella cool mission! If posts left craters in reddit, that one would be the biggest one since the introduction of Duna itself.

So, about the KAS-docking port arrangement, you use it to get around the DR-docking bug, and hence to use KAS in unmanned situations thanks to DR?

I just wanted to point out to point out to Rottielover that he could do that without docking ports or KAS plugs, thanks to awesome ability to place plugs with Kerbals. Makes for a fun rescue mission IMO, but anyways on second reading of his post, i realise he is doing it for the flexibility of either using KAS or stock unmanned rescue crafts.

@alacrity - What a huge space station!

That's exactly the way it works in the real world too, for any mission that is mass-constrained and can't spare the fuel for a sizable plane change. Now, launches to GTO don't use this method (since the plane change to the desired final orbit is the same for each launch site) but DOES apply for inclined orbits, rendezvous with already-orbiting targets and other planets.

It hit me when I read that Kennedy Space centre is placed on a 28 something degree tilt. Asked myself why and found the answer.

To bad Minmus is the only logical moon where you can use this little trick. It would be cool if Duna got some sort of Phobos & Deimos kind of moons on a fun inclination.

Finally working out gravitational slingshots! I was trying to get to the Mun and found that for some reason my trajectory shot off the other end, wrapped around Minmus and fired off in a generally sunwards direction. I mean, I knew the general theory, but it just didn't quite click until I saw it laid out like that.

I've actually learned a hell of a lot about space from playing KSP.

3) Realising you could switch between planets in the map screen using "TAB".

4) Realising that double-clicking on an apoapsis, periapsis or any other orbital indicator will keep it there instead of having to mouse over every time

Wow, just wow.

My first AHA moment was, when i was trying to figure out on how too put a rather heavy rover for my kethane mission onto the mun that would be working as a refilling station..

Placing it on top on any rocket made it very top heavy, and near uncontrollable

So i engineered a reverse staged rocket that staged from top to bottom instead of Bottom too top, and used the rover stage as main engines :D

8QNwDBmDKWp_RIGAYSI2D6-vj5fNMb-VfEQvIrG8AzM?size=1024x768

Later designed i again reversed the idear, and started too make pulling rockets instead of pushing rockets, with using again the landers engines as mainsails

so i could use the big orange tank right away as refilling station in Orbit..

And made the Drill unit stand on steep banked surfaces thanks too SirKuts robotics mod on the new Mun surface that has in 0.21 pretty rough craters where all the good deposits are..

Dye4UaxJG6tj9XEBIsAtnd7wvzqdFTxFI9vB1pPk1UQ?size=1024x768

Made the Drill unit so, that it could lift itself up, by ungrouping the Legs and Wheel groups so i could seperatly raise and lower each leg and wheel and drive itself around 45 degree angles even fully loaded with 16000 units of kethane without tumbling over..

Finding out how to use different patched conics modes while focusing on other bodies in the Kerbal system to make planetary approaches much more precise. (Before that, I had to wait until I was near or in a target planet's SOI and spend extra fuel to get the approach I wanted.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.