Would you delete stock parts to stay under the 4 Gb limit?

nhnifong

Would you delete stock parts to stay under the 4 Gb limit?  

1. 1. Would you delete stock parts to stay under the 4 Gb limit?

• Sure, the more mods the merrier!
    • No way!

The game loads a lot faster if you prune it down to one kind of pod, one kind of fuel tank, one kind of engine, no other parts, and no interiors.

It's not fun to play, but still, it's great when doing plugin development.

I don't understand people who go "I don't use mods omg I'm so clever". It makes no sense. At all.

Mods give the game great replayablility, because of endless new possibilities with new mods. Tons of mods are the real fun of this game!

I don't understand people who go "I don't use mods omg I'm so clever". It makes no sense. At all.

If you want to use mods, of whatever sort, go right ahead. There's no reason to denigrate other's choice in the matter, though. If someone doesn't want to use mods and feels that makes them a better person, more power to them. If someone gets uppity about your choices in a single player game, ignore them because they're idiots bleating on the internet and you have a game to enjoy.

I personally like the look of the stock parts and feel they are balanced to the universe they are in. A lot of mod parts simply don't fit the bill in that regard and I choose not to use them. Other mods parts I enjoy and use. Some other mods I pick and choose neat looking parts from, and then try to balance them or find a niche for them against the stock parts because mod authors rarely do that to my satisfaction (not saying they're terrible, I just like things balanced to my tastes).

...After all, I never actually use every single part in my GameData folder at the same time. I own zero other games that eat up memory senselessly this way. Why does the game not load parts dynamically? This would make the load times much much shorter, alleviate these memory issues, and make everyone happier...

The only problem with this idea is that, inevitably, if you decided to perform a rendezvous with a ship using different parts than those on your current ship, the lag caused by spawning in the second ships models at close range would increase drastically.

Frankly I used to crash the game before I had any mods installed. I've wondered for some time now if rather than the lag and crashing being caused by the complexity or number of the models (which in most games are a relatively small drain on resources), if rather the physics engine is what's really causing the lag and crashing, since it always seems to happen (to me anyways) when I'm dealing with large, wobbly contraptions. I'd be curious to see how much difference making the KSP physics engine treat ships as a single entity (at least until acted on by some outside force), would make on overall performance.

Deleting stock parts never occurred to me, but it seems like a good idea. I don't have too many part mods installed, but Universe Replacer chews through memory and some stock parts are simply worthless --- best examples are the radial rockomax engine and the heavier 1m reaction wheel. I also don't hesitate to use less than every part in a mod pack --- I only have a couple airship envelopes, and from Firespitter I nuked everything but the electric props and some of the wheels.

Oh, also the non-ruggedized rover wheel might be a good deletion candidate.

Like Zeroignite it never occurred to me to delete stock parts. That said I can think of quite a few that I could do away with. Certain wing designs that I haven't used since I first got the game and was throwing parts together just to see what they looked like...

That said, as I think about it and try to think of what parts I would do away with. I find myself thinking why not just delete the parts that are duplicated by the mods rather than the stock ones? Solar panels? Yeah AEIS has some pretty ones but they don't rotate like the stock ones do so I would rather have stock. Science type stuff? The antennae perhaps, AIES has some niiice dishes. But as far as things like the thermometer and g force reader. Stock ones look better.

Just squeezed by :rolleyes:

Mine actually seems to crash at 3.6, and needs some breathing room or it crashes when you load the launch pad. Man I can't wait until 64 bit!

This is because the extra ~0.4GB is being used for video memory and not RAM.

The 4GB limit includes any video memory (usually on your GPU) that is in use.

If you want to use mods, of whatever sort, go right ahead. There's no reason to denigrate other's choice in the matter, though. If someone doesn't want to use mods and feels that makes them a better person, more power to them. If someone gets uppity about your choices in a single player game, ignore them because they're idiots bleating on the internet and you have a game to enjoy.

it's only the people in the anti-mod crowd who denigrate anyone, thank you very much...

I don't use a lot of mods, but I'm not telling anyone who enjoys them that they're "cheating" or "not playing properly", unlike so many of the anti-modders.

I don't use mods to much, the only ones I have installed are KAS (because I wanted to make a rover, capable of moving fuel around, plus its cool to make drop ships :P ) and Kethane ( for some reason, i love to mine, and horde resources, plus it gives me some form of a purpose in sandbox, ill set up a mining colony here, make a spaceport refueling thingy here...)

Plus, I use most of the stock parts, i've used all engines, utility, pods, aerodynamic, and science parts at some point, and use em quite often. I use about 3/4 of the structural parts, there are a few in their I havn't tried to use yet, but im sure I will one day :P

What is the 4gb limit? Is it ram? I've been crashing a lot and never knew about this 4gb limit. Is there anyway to increase it? Also I run quite a few other games on my pc. Would deleting the ones I don't play help run this at all?

yes it is RAM.

KSP is 32bit software, so it isn't able to adress more than 4gb even if your computer has more. its a limitation of the used Unity engine.

so if you are running a lot of mods with a lot of parts, it could be that this maximum 4gb space gets full and the game crashes trying to allocate more memory.

[64-bit]

What 4GB limit?

[/64-bit]

:D

You can break the 4GB limit if you run 64-bit Linux. I realise setting up a dual-boot just to improve performance in one game may seem a bit extreme for some folks, but if you're a heavy KSP player it might make sense. Linux doesn't cost anything, and you can install one of the user-friendly distros in about half an hour, so you've got nothing to lose really.

Edited by Seret

I like mods, but the game hates me for using them and punishes me with extremely long load times ._.

But yeah, I really do hope Unity allows 64-bit capabilities soon. 32-bit games are becoming out-dated.

Edited by Reavermyst

Just because your OS has 64-bit addressing doesn't mean that the program (in this case, KSP) is compiled for 64-bit memoryspace.

Unity is 64-bit on Linux. I run KSP on Ubuntu.

I'm a bit surprised Unity is still 32-bit on Windows tbh. I know Windows was always well behind the curve on 64-bit adoption in the past, but I thought those days were pretty much past. Unity needs to sort it out really, this is 2013.

wait till money comes along your opnion will change.

I don't get it. Are you saying that once another balancing statistic comes along I'm going to suddenly have a change of opinion about overpowered parts and start using them because they do the same or better job cheaper than stock parts?