Lag Issues (help)

Hello,

I am by no means "new" to KSP. I wouldn't call myself an expert just not new. Recently, I have been having an issue with larger (100+) parts creating massive amounts of lag.

It's so bad it's preventing me from really playing. Every time i build something I am proud of, dock a rocket to refuel it's shot to hell.

Here our my system specs

Windows 7 pro

12 GB ram

i3 3.10 Ghz

Evga Nvidia GTX 660

I don't want to lose quality of the game look, however I can't play at 5 FPS either.

Suggestions or hints would be helpful.

Thanks,

KSP is a veery alpha game and no matter how good your computer is ksp will lagg i must say though you shouldnt be experiencing that amount of lag im running a system pretty inferior to yours and mine can handle ~300 parts before it starts to lag

Turn off vsync and lower the physics calculations slider ( forget the word. Delta ..something. not V... ) Set it to .03 if you must. The game will run in slow motion, but itll be smooth as butter. And hell it makes the time to get to orbit more realistic. Took me 10 minutes to get a 1200+ part ship into LKO o.O. Stayed at 20fps+ though so its worth it. The i3 won't be able to handle as much, buy should still be able to play 500+ part ships at a nice framerate.

You can go to my CPU performance thread and try out my rocket. You should be able to get an idea from that about how your CPU compares to similar ones. If you are getting much worse performance than others then you'll know that something might be wrong.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/42877-CPU-Performance-Database

Your CPU doesn't look too powerful, but it shouldn't have problems with relatively small crafts. So it's worth comparing your results to others to see if something else may be wrong. And your GTX 660 should be able to handle most settings at max; terrain settings may cause issues during launch, but otherwise I wouldn't expect you to be GPU limited.

I am running :

Processor: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz

with :

Card name: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A42&SUBSYS_020E1025&REV_07
Display Memory: 1695 MB
Dedicated Memory: 64 MB
Shared Memory: 1631 MB
Current Mode: 1360 x 768 (32 bit) (59Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: SONY TV
Monitor Id: SNY6702
Native Mode: 1360 x 768(p) (60.015Hz)
Output Type: HDMI

and have been happy with performance until the most recent (.21.1) update. The O.P.'s machine should cut through this game like a hot knife through butter. There are probably 2 problems :

1. The new patch has screwed up KSP for many of us. example:

Any news on bugfixes/improvements for some of the previously implemented changes that have proven unstable or non-optimal?

List of things that come to mind for me with suggested solutions :

- seats as crewable component. Makes no sense that hype was made about how you launch a Kerbal on an SRB on a seat - when you can't without a whole load of tedium first. I've worked on a plugin to try this, and can't see why it isn't doable properly in the seat module itself.

- eliminate large rocket wobble and collapse (of even sensible designs) once and for all - by upgrading attachnodes of at least the larger parts to have built-in, invisible strutting between rigidbodies, using scaled strength related to the masses of the connected parts.

- the new terrain is cool but a nightmare to rove - its normal forces on contact are all over the place and can either bounce you off them, suck your vessel into them, or even power you up the mountain you're on for no effort at all. Could do with sorting out.

- make new ASAS and old ASAS both available (locking behaviour more beneficial in some scenarios. Why would we used to have had 3 different SAS methods, and now only one?) The "stop then lock" method is not reliable in "lock" only designs. Old ASAS is still needed.

- configurable automatic crewing behavior in gameplay settings would be pretty neat, its easy to forget too late your hitchhikers are empty, or maybe some people would like to manually define it all from empty?

- upgrade the tracking station UI. It takes far too many clicks to end/recover flights. I know why it would have been done this way, but when you have a whole load of debris to remove three clicks a fair distance from each other everytime takes a while. How about keyboard shortcuts working here? select one and hit del to instantly end/recover selected flight - especially if its debris at the minimum.

You've got a great game concept Squad and I've really loved being involved, playing from an earlier stage and getting into modding with KSP. But I find I don't play the game as often as I used to, as each play is starting to feel tedious with seemingly small overlookable problems stacking up together into a disappointing experience overall.

Could you please consider overhaulling some of these sorts of issues before getting to into adding yet more features. If you don't fix or improve anything you're building on, and just stack up more incomplete features, I feel its ironically making a less complete gaming experience as a result.

There might be more good an interesting suggestions. If I've missed anything, someone else go ahead and mention it. Just thought I'd let my opinion on the current development known. I'm not saying I don't want new features. I'm saying I want the ones I have fun to play more than tedious.

TouhouTorpedo has been modding for this game since before I started in November 2012. I love his mods and I hope we don't lose him.

2. Something on the O.P's machine is interfering with KSP. example : some anti-viruses are known to cause problems with KSP.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.