I am new to KSP what should I do first?

I'd say try the stock tutorials. Then, try to go into orbit yourself. Go to the Mun and orbit it. Try to land. Try landing on Minmus (includes inclination change.) Build a space station (includes docking.)

You will need to launch multiple vessels to do all that :)

Go to Tube tube, and look at some of the tutorials there, some of the users are very good, as they will walk you through all the different steps,

Look at . TheTwoRocketGuys

Scott Manley

Please note that you might have to go back through to some of the early videos, and when you do you will see that they are using older versions of the KSP, but the basics are the same in all versions.

I'd say try the stock tutorials. Then, try to go into orbit yourself. Go to the Mun and orbit it. Try to land. Try landing on Minmus (includes inclination change.) Build a space station (includes docking.)

I second this. I think it's a great way to learn the basics. Once done you can start getting some mods and experimenting with your own designs.

I second Radiokopf. Just fool around. Get a feel for the game. Fling ridiculous rockets shaped like ducks around. See if you can't get to space on your own (You probably won't :P). THEN go look at the tutorials.

I'd recommend at least starting with one or two of the pre-loaded tutorials that come with the game, though. Particularly the ship-building one and the basic controls one.

Build different types of rockets to get a feel for what you can do and try out different parts. You don't have to get into orbit straight away. Also if u get stuck look at some of the stock vessels u can load. Otherwise as mentioned look at some youtube videos. Experimenting is the fun part.

Try different staging. Start with one rocket, then stick another underneath and see what happens with a decoupler and such.

Asparagus staging, which I think should be renamed to spiral fuel link staging.

I myself been experimenting with a single powerful central engine and then dropping the fuel tanks when there empty on the side. I think if it works it could be even more efficient than spiral fuel linking. But with less engines, lets u just have one big engine on the bottom. Though u have to look when there empty. But its fun to try new ways. I'm not convinced aspasgrus is best way to do things. I want to find a different way of doing it.

Edited by Moonfrog
thoughtof more stuff

this is what I came to post. get into orbit, then change your orbit for a higher one, then launch another craft and get them near each other and at the same speed (possible harder than going to mun) then a polar orbit, then figure out how to get to mun, then orbit mun, then land on mun, then minmus, then make a space station from a few launches, then go to Duna and Ike, then Dres, then Eve and I`m sure by this point you will have you own ideas of what you want to be doing...

Do NOT go on any tube site, don't watch any video, and play this awesome game using the support of your brain and use it to figure out what to do

I'd say, too, one thing not to do first in this game is killing the boss, or, going orbiting the last planet of your system, or scoring a backflip goal

Really, "what to do?"

I'd start by getting a Kerbal into orbit and returning safely. Then i'd aim for the Mun and return safely. Then you can either try to build a small space station and learn to dock, or go to Minmus and learn about inclination change.

This: Mun landing tutorial is one of the best i have seen as of yet on the forums. I advise you give them a visit to learn the basics. It's beautifully illustrated too.

Edited by Spyritdragon

Start simple. Build a sub orbital rocket. Example, command module for one Kerbal, matching parachute, stack coupler, 2 stacked LV-800 fuel tank, LV-45 engine, launch stabilizer. Fly it and bring your Kerbal back safely. Fly again and learn to do a gravity turn to reach 100,000 meters and return. Add a second stage with a LV-400 fuel tank and LV-909. Add solar panels to the second stage. Place your Kerbal into orbit with enough fuel to bring him back. Add solid boosters to the design and fly it around Mun. Fly a second mission around Minmus. On the next mission, place your Kerbal in orbit with enough fuel to bring them back home.

From there on, space and your ship design are the limit.

A sample munar orbiter with thruster pack under the command module. You launch using the boosters, then do the orbital turn after staging. Has plenty of fuel to play with and can return from Mun or Minmus using the thruster pack alone.

ftQ7Yp7.jpg

A simple 2 stage probe orbiter. (Fins not needed in 0.2101)

bWdAHWT.jpg

Edited by SRV Ron

If your early steps mimic roughly what the USA did with it's space program, you should have fun learning various aspects of the game in a progressive way. So start with a rocket that can actually get off the ground without going bang, move on to extended sub-orbital flights which should then progress on to full orbital. Remember that it's nice to bring your Kerbals safely back to the surface at the end of these flights. Once you have got the hang of getting in to orbit, time to learn about manoeuvre nodes, and how orbital mechanics work, which will then allow you to get to one of the two moons that orbit Kerbin. Getting there is one thing, but getting back shouldn't be too difficult, but what about getting back after you have made a successful landing? Small steps at a time should get you there. Getting to other planets is just an extension of what you have learnt getting to one of the moons. Another aspect you could look at, as early as you are comfortable getting in to orbit, is how to rendezvous two ships in orbit and dock them together. This isn't an easy task, and a lot of players struggle with it, even after playing for a while, but it's a useful skill to master.

When I first started, after the initial I'm going to get this freakin thing past 20,000 meters! I set my goal on getting a satellite into orbit.

But what really made it fun for me was, my dad was playing this as well, and we were having a bit of a space race, he got into space first, and orbited the planet first... but I got the first satellite into orbit, and landed on the Mun first, so I think I win! So if you can get another person into the game, have a bit of friendly competition!

Remember, you also can design air craft, and rovers (manned and unmanned). So, sometimes, when you get tired of watching rockets blow up take a break and go off road in a truck or racing car. Or try to fly to the other airfield or fly around the world. Or walk about the space port - many of the buildings have ladders and working stairs! :D

If your early steps mimic roughly what the USA did with it's space program, you should have fun learning various aspects of the game in a progressive way. So start with a rocket that can actually get off the ground without going bang, move on to extended sub-orbital flights which should then progress on to full orbital. Remember that it's nice to bring your Kerbals safely back to the surface at the end of these flights. Once you have got the hang of getting in to orbit, time to learn about manoeuvre nodes, and how orbital mechanics work, which will then allow you to get to one of the two moons that orbit Kerbin. Getting there is one thing, but getting back shouldn't be too difficult, but what about getting back after you have made a successful landing? Small steps at a time should get you there. Getting to other planets is just an extension of what you have learnt getting to one of the moons. Another aspect you could look at, as early as you are comfortable getting in to orbit, is how to rendezvous two ships in orbit and dock them together. This isn't an easy task, and a lot of players struggle with it, even after playing for a while, but it's a useful skill to master.

Scarecrow88 is right on the money in my opinion. Following the early space program not only helps you build skills in a progressive manner it also gives you a chance to relearn all those neat facts/trivia about the early space program. The wiki page for this game has loads of great information and guides that can guide you through this process. http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Campaigns is a great place to start as well as in the tutorials section of the wiki. You just can't miss!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.