[0.21.1] Flag Decals and Flagpole [New File Structure]

StarVision

Guest LTrotsky
Of course releasing a new version that only changes the file structure is kind of pointless, so I'll just include it in the next release, which will probably be the animated flag.

It might matter.

The instructions in the spaceport for installation read as follows : "Drag misc folder into KSP/GameData folder"

1. There is no "misc" folder to drag into the GameData folder.

2. I dragged the extracted folders into both GameData and the Parts folder. No flags or decals appear in the VAB.

So, point being, the install was a total washout for me, due to either my stupidity, or assumptions about what users already know, or both. Can't use the add-on because it doesn't - or I can't - install it.

Edit :

Also - this shows up in the KSP log file :

[WRN 21:53:38.676] PartLoader Warning: Variable Scale not found in Part
[LOG 21:53:38.703] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Starvision/parts/Flags/flat/part1/flat1'
[WRN 21:53:38.719] PartLoader Warning: Variable Scale not found in Part
[LOG 21:53:38.742] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Starvision/parts/Flags/flat/part2/flat2'
[WRN 21:53:38.759] PartLoader Warning: Variable Scale not found in Part
[LOG 21:53:38.799] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Starvision/parts/Flags/flat/part3/flat3'
[WRN 21:53:38.816] PartLoader Warning: Variable Scale not found in Part
[LOG 21:53:38.839] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Starvision/parts/Flags/flat/part4/flat4'
[WRN 21:53:38.855] PartLoader Warning: Variable Scale not found in Part
[LOG 21:53:38.879] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Starvision/parts/Flags/round/part1/round1'
[WRN 21:53:38.896] PartLoader Warning: Variable Scale not found in Part
[LOG 21:53:38.919] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Starvision/parts/Flags/round/part2/round2'
[WRN 21:53:38.934] PartLoader Warning: Variable Scale not found in Part
[LOG 21:53:38.956] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Starvision/parts/Flags/round/part3/round3'
[WRN 21:53:38.972] PartLoader Warning: Variable Scale not found in Part
[LOG 21:53:38.996] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Starvision/parts/Flags/round/part4/round4'
[WRN 21:53:39.012] PartLoader Warning: Variable Scale not found in Part
[LOG 21:53:39.036] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Starvision/parts/Flags/roundvertical/part1/roundvertical1'
[WRN 21:53:39.052] PartLoader Warning: Variable Scale not found in Part
[LOG 21:53:39.075] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Starvision/parts/Flags/roundvertical/part2/roundvertical2'
[WRN 21:53:39.091] PartLoader Warning: Variable Scale not found in Part
[LOG 21:53:39.115] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Starvision/parts/Flags/roundvertical/part3/roundvertical3'
[WRN 21:53:39.132] PartLoader Warning: Variable Scale not found in Part
[LOG 21:53:39.154] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Starvision/parts/Flags/roundvertical/part4/roundvertical4'
[WRN 21:53:39.170] PartLoader Warning: Variable Scale not found in Part

Edit : v0.22 clean apart from this add-on

Edited by LTrotsky

• 4 weeks later...

Just drag the "Starvision" folder to your GameData folder. Then, to get them to appear in career mode, you have to open each part.cfg file in a plain text editor, and add these two lines:

TechRequired = start
entryCost = 0

Save and close, do that for each part file in each of the folders. The parts will now appear in the R&D screen. Click on the first icon (the one all the way to the left, the initial parts group), there should be a number 9 in it's corner that tells you there's nine parts to research. In the parts list on the right, scroll down until you see the flag parts, click each icon and in the dialog that pops up, hit the research button to unlock the part. They should now be available in the utility tab of the parts list in the VAB.

Having done that, though, the flag parts don't fit well on any of the tanks I used them on. The round ones especially, they are very finicky where you have to place them and even then, they don't always display the whole flag and seem to shift in and out of position when they are on a ship. The flat ones work OK, but are tricky to place. Not sure what could be done to fix this, maybe the surface attach rules or how the model is exported from the 3D application when it's created?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I hate to bother you, but do you think you could update this to work with 0.23? None of the parts show up in the R&D facility, but I love the mod!!

Just made a ModuleManager patch to allow this. Install ModuleManager (Place the .dll file in the gamedata folder) then make a .cfg file containing the following:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[FlagDecal]]
{
TechRequired = basicRocketry
}

This will unlock all parts with Basic Rocketry

I hate to bother you, but do you think you could update this to work with 0.23? None of the parts show up in the R&D facility, but I love the mod!!
Just made a ModuleManager patch to allow this. Install ModuleManager (Place the .dll file in the gamedata folder) then make a .cfg file containing the following:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[FlagDecal]]
{
TechRequired = basicRocketry
}

This will unlock all parts with Basic Rocketry

I was unaware this mod was still in use! I'll try and properly update at some point, but not right now. I've got a lot on my shoulders. When I do update it i'll try and include a fold-able flag, now that I know how to animate with Blender. I'll also just overall thin out the flags, making them fit better.

I was unaware this mod was still in use! I'll try and properly update at some point, but not right now. I've got a lot on my shoulders. When I do update it i'll try and include a fold-able flag, now that I know how to animate with Blender. I'll also just overall thin out the flags, making them fit better.

And I was unaware this mod existed until hrhtml99 posted! Good luck with RL and I look forward to the update :)

And I was unaware this mod existed until hrhtml99 posted! Good luck with RL and I look forward to the update :)

I wasn't actually referring to "RL". I was referring to this. I'm thinking of cleaning up and making some small things before starting on another big project, so updating this may be part of them.

• 3 months later...
I wasn't actually referring to "RL". I was referring to this. I'm thinking of cleaning up and making some small things before starting on another big project, so updating this may be part of them.

I would love to see an update to this. Something that has a white background for transparency and maybe one part in the procedural style with tweakables.

Come on StarVision, we miss you. You can do so much more with this since your last update. We definitely need PNG transparency support. A single scaleable/tweakable part would be nice too but not as important.

• 3 weeks later...

If you use treeloader, use my tree, UAL002, I added them. The tree is pretty close to stock otherwise, add some mod nodes and arranges some mods I use.

Waiting for an update to treeedit. Too many parts to assign to nodes here.

Edited by UAL002

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This is a pretty cool mod - thanks! Have you thought about adding a customizable flag option, so a person could use a mission flag patch, and set a different flag for these attachables? That would let you have a "nation" flag as well as a "mission" patch (like how the space shuttles had an American flag, and a NASA emblem at the same time.) ?

I'd imagine that would be a bit tricky of course, since your mod is using the games flag module, etc.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.