Squad Should Ask Microsoft For A Free Xbox One Development Kit

NeoMorph

Microsoft is giving away free dev kits for Xbox One because nobody will pay for them, the Xbox one is a disaster waiting to happen and most intelligent developers have at very least taken a step back to see just how bad of a trainwreck it will be.

Besides, just like the elder scrolls games and fallout series from bethesda.. it's better on PC because mods.

Aren't keyboards and mice compatible with the Xbox 360? Presumably they'd also work on the Xbox One. That means you could develop the game for the Xbox One without changing the control scheme, to attract the exactly four people interested in KSP who have an Xbox but not a PC.

Im just wondering, how does one have an Xbox without having a computer of any sort at home. Anyway, from what I've heard, the Xbox one will be more expensive than some rather good PCs. Overall, I don't think SQUAD should even think about entangling themselves in the upcoming Xbox one failure (NOT to incite any rage). Furthermore, I don't think Unity would work well with whatever Microsoft gives developers.

Spica

Im just wondering, how does one have an Xbox without having a computer of any sort at home. Anyway, from what I've heard, the Xbox one will be more expensive than some rather good PCs. Overall, I don't think SQUAD should even think about entangling themselves in the upcoming Xbox one failure (NOT to incite any rage). Furthermore, I don't think Unity would work well with whatever Microsoft gives developers.

Spica

Why want anybody like to develop for this awful console with its awful anti-consumer company?

Besides the controler problem and console limitations there are way more issues why the x-box sucks:

- they pretty much force companies to charge a fee for Addons and DLC

- getting patches and updates out is a pain

- constantly patching a game is almost impossible (you cant just roll out a patch on your own)

- KSP without Modding?

- You can rest assured that you wont be able to get mods on the xbox and if there were some you can be sure that they will be selected and only for money

How can anyone actually like MS or the Xbox after what they showed? Its like they are punching their customers in the face again and again after asking "do you like us now"?

I have an Xbox, I'm not planning to get the XboxOne. I don't think KSP would lend itself very well to being on Xbox LIve. Game Invites/Chat requests or just chatting with someone who is in a different game would be a huge distraction while trying to dock a spacecraft into a station that you spent Hours/Days building.

I do think that the controller would be great for controlling a spacecraft But other than that. You would not be able to mod your game. I'm very used to doing that now. :)

Edited by BostLabs

And I see the "PC master race" coming out to defend their turf by hooting and flinging dung... again. Don't be surprised if the mods have to close this thread too.

That being said, I think it'd be a great idea but I understand that Squad's primary concern right now is to get the PC (and OSx/Linux) version out the door first. They're not big enough as a studio to also run development on an X1 concurrently with the others.

-- Steve

And I see the "PC master race" coming out to defend their turf by hooting and flinging dung... again. Don't be surprised if the mods have to close this thread too.

That being said, I think it'd be a great idea but I understand that Squad's primary concern right now is to get the PC (and OSx/Linux) version out the door first. They're not big enough as a studio to also run development on an X1 concurrently with the others.

-- Steve

Its funny how you accuse others of starting a console-war when you are the one actually starting it and trying to lure people into doing so.

Since you think its a great idea may you explain why?

Also since you probably own a console may you offer me insight in how patching and modding works on consoles (which is probably a pretty important thing in KSP)? Free DLC restrictions on MS-Consoles etc.?

Aren't keyboards and mice compatible with the Xbox 360? Presumably they'd also work on the Xbox One. That means you could develop the game for the Xbox One without changing the control scheme, to attract the exactly four people interested in KSP who have an Xbox but not a PC.

this anoys me just as much as the games that require special controlers to play. if i'm gonna play a console then I wanna use the actual controler that came with the system, not spend more just to play.

KSP has 6 axis of control...

so...

PS3 / PS4 would be a better choice than the xbox

either way... using a console gamepad to play KSP wouldnt be a very bright idea

(look at the ps3 opening title LAIR which indeed uses all the 6 axis the PS3 controller provided.. and the outcome? everyone thinks it's complicated and not very fun)

Why want anybody like to develop for this awful console with its awful anti-consumer company?

How can anyone actually like MS or the Xbox after what they showed? Its like they are punching their customers in the face again and again after asking "do you like us now"?

Its funny how you accuse others of starting a console-war when you are the one actually starting it and trying to lure people into doing so.

Quod erat demonstrandum.

-- Steve

Quod erat demonstrandum.

-- Steve

Pointing out your hypocrisy doesnt make my argument the same as yours.

Also i hate to break it to you but using greek sayings doesnt make you look smarter either.

Anyhow my "argument" is over now since you obviously are only out for some sort of flamewar which i have no interrest in. So have a nice day.

Still do you mind to explain why it would be a great thing to have KSP on the Xbox One?

Also my post was about mircrosoft and their policies and the problems with KSP. So talking about shortcommings of a company now automatically is a console war?

Edited by SpaceHole

Quod erat demonstrandum.

-- Steve

Heh! That has to be the most effective use of Latin I've seen.

But, just to be clear. I like my Xbox. I like my PC. I like KSP. I don't think I would enjoy KSP as much on my Xbox.

and can we please not start this master race BS here. I got more than enough of that crap on the Battlefield forum.

Edited by BostLabs

Heh! That has to be the most effective use of Latin I've seen.

But, just to be clear. I like my Xbox. I like my PC. I like KSP. I don't think I would enjoy KSP as much on my Xbox.

Yeah because criticizing a single a company for its obvious problems and anti-consumerism while objectively pointing out the problem when it comes to KSP is now a console war. Especially since i mentioned all other platforms.

Also this is a one-liner everone learns at some point of his live. How is it the most effective use of Latin you have ever seen when this sentence will be a one-linder at any given time?

God. Guys.

Seriously. This has been done to death (Here is me getting shot to death over it). KSP could work on an xbox (I use my controller to control my spacecraft already). Mods would be difficult to implement, if not impossible. Vanilla KSP would be far more fleshed out by the time of its release. It probably wouldn't be the exact same game. It's not squad's focus. You're all off topic (remember it was just about getting Squad a free xbox?).

People have different views and desires and needs. Please, for the love of the internet, respect that.

Edited by allmappedout

Yeah because criticizing a single a company for its obvious problems and anti-consumerism while objectively pointing out the problem when it comes to KSP is now a console war. Especially since i mentioned all other platforms.

Also this is a one-liner everone learns at some point of his live. How is it the most effective use of Latin you have ever seen when this sentence will be a one-linder at any given time?

Since you originally thought it was Greek...well..I can only assume this is your chance to learn the phrase. I took 6 years of Latin and I'm relatively amused he used it. You don't see people use Latin very often.

Still though you are being pretty rabidly anti-Microsoft in the manner in which you're making your points, and admitting to the hypocrisy even. I, on the other hand, am one of like 20 people who actually thought the original pitch during E3 that they have since rolled back almost every interesting facet of. It seemed like they were really trying to promote something very different, as opposed to what we had during the 360 vs PS3 years where the boxes were roughly similar.

Now, with all their policy retractions, we are back to the status quo. Boxes of roughly equal power duking it out and relying upon exlusive content. Now we're likely to get a free game because they want to show similar value to the PS4.

I'm still trying to figure out what is so anti-consumerist of a company willing to walk back all of their policies because the hard core on the internet complained about it. They didn't get the preorders they wanted, so they changed policies. Last I checked thier preorders are still selling out, and the PS4 is selling 4 times as many at some retailers.

I'm fortelling this Christmas season that PS4 will not be able to keep up with demand, and many people will notice that the only difference between the two is exclusive games. Some will switch.

And I think KSP could easily be mapped to a dual stick controller like the Ps4 and Xbox, and the new generation has the same amount of power as many who post to these very forums. Many people already play with xbox controllers on many PC games. When they finish this game, I wouldn't blame them if they experimented with an xbox or Ps4 release.

edit: and regarding patching, they are automatic like Steam. A developer pushes it out and it goes to everyone the next time they fire the game up. Both Microsoft and Sony used to make developers pay to release patches (an old trick to try to keep the number of patches down) but recently that was retracted. As evidence, Phil Fish finally fixed his game breaking bug in Fez and promptly quit the industry...

Edited by air805ronin

I spent most of my adult life as a blue collar worker. Not much use of Latin there. I see it more often now that I'm no longer a blue collar worker. Old dog, new tricks.

in other words, you don't see Joe Sixpack spouting off stuff like that. He would be much more blunt and offensive to boot.

Edited by BostLabs

I believe Anton was just trying to point out that this discussion has been talked about with a lot of passion elsewhere on the forums and some of those threads were locked due to that passion. Your passion about the Microsoft topic is obvious to anyone reading your comments. Could his statement be worded better? Sure. Did it seem inflammatory? Not to me. If anything it made me go hunting for the threads he mentions to see what the hub bub was all about.

-- Steve

It has nothing to do with pc vs console wars. The xbox one does not have the right controls and is cpu wise pretty weak compared to even a mid range pc, which just dosent make it suited for this game. This is something that developers have said themselves on stream and pretty much confirmed that it wont ever be released on console. And I say this as a person who have both the xbox 360 and ps3.

I spent most of my adult life as a blue collar worker. Not much use of Latin there. I see it more often now that I'm no longer a blue collar worker. Old dog, new tricks.

in other words, you don't see Joe Sixpack spouting off stuff like that. He would be much more blunt and offensive to boot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA5Nu2B2uvM

"Who speaks Latin?"

"No one speaks Latin; it's a dead language."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.