Small fuel to orbit challenge

Considering the tough times which has hit Kerbin, Jeb was surprised when he came across some surplus RCS Monopropellant just lying by the side of the road. With the help of the good rocket builders he managed to put together an RCS lifter to get some liquid fuel into space.

This beast achieved 31.92 / 90 *100 = 35.47% liquid fuel efficiency.

YOHa9c8.jpg

D8hmNeI.jpg

ARawcuz.png

This was as much as my computer seemed to be able to handle without crashing due to RAM overload.

Well it wasn't RCS only otherwise he would've gotten 100%. I was playing with that idea a few pages back, got quickly to computer-crying levels of lag and part count.

Yeah RCS only is definitely possible. But I think you need a linux machine running the X64 engine that can use +4GB of RAM and even then the physics may lag like all hell. 37500m is the highest I've gotten a tiny fuel payload on RCS only. Beyond that is possible, but I don't think I have the patience.

Below the RCS only pic, is my fine tuned attempt at 36.78 / 90 * 100 = 40.87% liquid fuel efficiency.

lqijPFU.jpg

jBAFIV6.jpg

EKyNZEd.png

From an older challenge I remember this gem, http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/39947-From-the-launchpad-to-the-Mun-in-13-seconds?p=512316#post512316

I was messing around for a solid 2~3 hours but could not make any contraptions that worked (sas keeps exploding/falling off), perhaps this sparks an evil genius idea in someone else's head :D good luck if you attempt it!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.