Measuring reentry heat

Moin moin.

I want to measure the reentry heat to see what i could use as heatshield, but i keep getting wrong/irrational data from the thermometer.

Maybe i do it wrong, but i tried to keep it as simple as it should be..

Testsystem:

- Small Cube-Sat with an upside-down 1,25-2,5m piece

- 1x Thermo directly on the nose = should be the hottest place

- 1x Thermo on the inside = colder point

The highest temp i could measure was something around 5°C while descending.

They pop from -110 to -30 to -50 to +5 to -35 and then to surface temp +20.

http://imgur.com/a/4CcKo (7 pics)

Reentry heat currently isn't modeled. You might be interested in the Deadly Reentry mod.

As he says. It's just a pretty effect for now, there's no actual heat gain, and thus no need for heat shields.

Edited by Tiron

Look at your post, then look at my sig.

...sorry, it's just annoying that everyone here assumes everyone is a guy.

I feel you. :P I get the same thing, even when my username's used in the same sentence!

But as for the thermometer comment, thermometers do show a different temperature based on altitude, which vaguely mimics the actual temperature changes with altitude on Earth (unlike commonly believed, it's not "higher = colder", but somewhat counter-intuitive). But reentry heat is not simulated.

(unlike commonly believed, it's not "higher = colder", but somewhat counter-intuitive)

Most people only know that if you drive up a mountain, the air gets colder(due to the troposphere lapse rate) and just assume that continues all the way up. Unless they happen to be a pilot or a meteorologist, most people don't have a reason to understand inversion layers or isothermal layers. But yes, if you graph temperature against altitude it's a very squiggly line :)

Just a heads up from the Wiki:

Not happening

The following features have been confirmed to not be in the official game (although may be found in mods):

Steam achievements[citation needed]

Autopilot Systems[citation needed]

Weapons or military features[citation needed]

Alien civilizations[citation needed]

Terraforming[citation needed]

* Re-entry heat or damage[citation needed] *

Realistically sized celestial bodies [11]

Conversion to a different game engine.[citation needed]

Why they would skip re-entry heat as a planned feature and to list it an not happening is beyond me, but sure enough its there :(

Because unlike some languages, the only Gender Neutral Third Person Singular Pronoun('it') is generally considered offensive if applied to a person. Consequently, you have to pick a gendered pronoun based on little to no information at all because it's a text-based internet forum with user-picked pseudonyms (and honestly...I don't read people's signatures as a general rule.) Sometimes, usually in the case of companies or the extremely politically correct, they'll try to use a hybrid form(s/he for example) to include either possibility...which frankly mostly just sounds stupid.

So one has to guess. And on a Internet Forum about a Video Game involving Rockets, which possibility is more likely to be correct?

Part of the reason there's almost no information to go on, other than it being a text based forum on the internet, is that in English, the ONLY time Gender really comes up is in Third Person Singular Pronouns. Unlike, say, French, where the majority of the singular pronouns are gender specific, and the ARTICLES have gender too. Which means, for a start, that every possible object (in the grammatical sense) has to have an assigned gender so you can use the proper set of pronouns and articles with it. It also means that there's a lot more opportunity to gather information.

It's a core linguistic problem, not an 'assumption'. Taking it that way is the reason we get stupid constructions like 's/he'.

It's a core linguistic problem, not an 'assumption'. Taking it that way is the reason we get stupid constructions like 's/he'.

My thoughts exactly, stated in a far less confrontational way than I could have managed.

*snip*

Why they would skip re-entry heat as a planned feature and to list it an not happening is beyond me, but sure enough its there :(

Probably because they are trying to build an easy to learn, fairly educational game, not a ridiculously accurate simulation. I couldn't see any mention of proper life support, radiation exposure, solar heating, or the need for radiators either (though I may be wrong with any/all of those), all of which would be realistic but would make the game significantly harder. So they are omitted in the interest of being easier to learn/play.

All of which can be fixed with mods.

(Personally I like their approach; reality is nice, but I wouldn't want to spend much time there :P )

That does get irritating, and I am tempted to steal you sig. :)

We do have gender neutral pronouns in English (ze), you can use a singular they, or you can use the persons name. None of which is hard (and is less offensive to those of use who don't like male pronouns).

Probably because they are trying to build an easy to learn, fairly educational game, not a ridiculously accurate simulation. I couldn't see any mention of proper life support, radiation exposure, solar heating, or the need for radiators either (though I may be wrong with any/all of those), all of which would be realistic but would make the game significantly harder. So they are omitted in the interest of being easier to learn/play.

All of which can be fixed with mods.

(Personally I like their approach; reality is nice, but I wouldn't want to spend much time there :P )

Well life support and re-entry heating ARE officially planned features, last I heard, I don't know about the rest.

Thing you run into is that, so far, they make it pretty much realistic except easier, mostly because everything's so massively size compressed, but not always. In real life the atmosphere doesn't really ever 'end', even really high orbits decay eventually, it just might take so long that for practical purposes they don't. It's also variable with things like the solar activity cycle, which can cause the atmosphere to expand or contract and change the amount of drag rather drastically.

100km is considered 'the edge of space', mostly because that's right about the altitude at which the speed you need to produce enough lift to stay airborne hits orbital velocity (and thus, you stay up because you're orbiting rather than because of lift you're generating).

The 'size compression' effect is going to make re-entry a lot easier than it is IRL when it gets added, for two reasons: First, and probably the bigger of the two, Orbital Velocity in KSP is about a quarter of what it is for Earth, so there's a lot less speed to bleed off in the first place. Second is that the atmosphere's so massively compressed: The air pressure ramps up a lot faster as you descend, so you won't be getting heated as badly for as long.

That does get irritating, and I am tempted to steal you sig. :)

I'd probably just skip over it too :(

We do have gender neutral pronouns in English (ze), you can use a singular they, or you can use the persons name. None of which is hard (and is less offensive to those of use who don't like male pronouns).

But how do you deal with people that find political correctness offensive?

And no offense, but 'Ze' is not a word. The correct term is 'Neologism'. Until it's widely accepted and used, it doesn't count. And I've never even heard of it, and I've heard quite a few neologisms in the third person pronoun department.

And the singular 'Them' can be very awkward to use in many situations.

The *correct* solution is a gentle, non-annoyed, non-offended correction and then to move on.

Just a heads up from the Wiki:

Not happening

The following features have been confirmed to not be in the official game (although may be found in mods):

Steam achievements[citation needed]

Autopilot Systems[citation needed]

Weapons or military features[citation needed]

Alien civilizations[citation needed]

Terraforming[citation needed]

Realistically sized celestial bodies [11]

Conversion to a different game engine.[citation needed]

It is subject to change, no matter how hard you confirm it.

It is subject to change, no matter how hard you confirm it.

I do notice most of those, including re-entry heat or damage, have 'citation needed'. They're all things that aren't in the game, but most of them don't have citations (though I know the 'autopilot' and 'military' ones have official sources.)

Maybe it got mis-categorized. Or someone thinks they're funny.

Edited by Tiron

Fun fact: Everione assumes that everione is a guy in gaming forums of games like KSP cause you dont see too much women play videogames other than farmville.

Iam on this world 29 years, iam participating every year since my 14s on biggest Scifi fantasy and gaming convention in my country, i have lots of friends who are women, and most of them i have from this event, and i know only one who actualy plays videogames "for males". And she isnt enthusiastic about them to actualy join some kind of comunity, she, according to what she herself said, plays them only to kill some time and have a fun.

I also play online videogames and some mmofps games, and i havent met female even there.

I dont even know anyone who knows real female gamer.

So thats why lot of people automaticaly consider anyone of gaming forums to be a guy.

And allso there is lot of guys pretending they are girls on the internet to achieve better treatment.

Another thing is that in my country is gaming still considdered geeky, or childly and i often find my self in situation when people looks at my with a bit of vierd look, when i say that i play videogames. So maybe my experience could be different from experiences of people of more western origin,

and maybe female gamers in my country wouldnt admit they are gamers to avoid those vierd look situations. :-)

Edited by KOCOUR

Öh....3 Pages about he/she/it !?

cmon.

Most people only know that if you drive up a mountain, the air gets colder(due to the troposphere lapse rate) and just assume that continues all the way up. Unless they happen to be a pilot or a meteorologist, most people don't have a reason to understand inversion layers or isothermal layers. But yes, if you graph temperature against altitude it's a very squiggly line :)

lucky me, that i skipped geography in the last 2 grades..years ago..

offcourse i heard from the different air-layers, but didnt imagine that they are implemented.

also i ever thought of inversion only in low heights as weather-phenomenon (low hanging smoke from easter-bonfires and so on).

so i got something new to learn, thanks dave ^^

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.