Bet the Developers never thought of this horrifying experience...

Space_Coyote

Howdy, now as we all know space is can can be a terrifying place to be being it's cold and dark and of course there's no air... but when you're working inside a space suit, the only thing you have to worry about is running out of air right?

Wrong...

Saw a story today about one of the astronauts this last month who had a very harrowing experience as his helmet slowly filled with water (odds oaare either his suit's coolant system sprang a leak or he was really sweating..

But this guy almost drowned in sapce..

And we thought a leak in a space suit was bad.. but drowning in fluids inside your own helmet? I mean how do those kerbals breathe? they don't have noses, but they do have mouths...

SO yeah it's possible to drown in space..

Bet none of the devs considered that idea..

Space_Coyote..

I think part failures in general will not be in KSP, so while they might have never thought of that specifically, you'll never see something like Apollo 13 where a specific part failure endangers the mission.

Not that you couldn't just pretend it brokeded and sit in your chair and say -chhhht-BEEP- "Kerbin, we have a problem." -chhhhht-BEEP-

Part failures like that (Or Apollo 13) won't be in KSP. All parts work like they are supposed to. It would be really screwed when you perform you're Laythe landing and 1 engine starts malfunctioning. It would dagame the fun in the game.

Part failures like that (Or Apollo 13) won't be in KSP. All parts work like they are supposed to. It would be really screwed when you perform you're Laythe landing and 1 engine starts malfunctioning. It would dagame the fun in the game.

yes, add that it would be very hard to separate from bugs. Same reason that npc who can steal from your house in games like Skyrim is an bad idea.

Scenarios with system fails like Apollo 13 on the other hand is interesting.

Considering the bugs and accidents that I have had occurred, I would say parts failure is already in the game. Like a space station that just comes apart for no reason on approach (Shouldn't of went with the lowest bidder). Just like in real life, random bugs just pop up.

I wouldn't mind a scenario with it.

Or even a harder career mode (when they release it) that leaves for a chance at system failure. But as a part of the game as a whole it would be a horrible idea.

It would be cool to expand scenario's perhaps a function to export your save file as a scenario so the community can make scenarios for each other (would really help in the challenges department). Like landing on the Mun in a craft that misses a landing leg. Or something like the Apollo 13 could be simulated by draining the lander stages of the fuel.

But parts suddenly breaking in game would add nothing to the fun of the game. Even Orbiter, which is a realistic space simulator doesn't do defective parts.

I see the editors as playing with Lego's. When one brick doesn't fit or misses one of these connector dots you throw it away and grab a new one. Whenever a Kerbal grabs a Mainsail and sees it's broken it throws it out and grabs a new one.

I'd like a buggy mode. Just like in Sim City, with all those disasters. Micrometeoroids, computer system failure, engine working at <100%...

But then there should be an opportunity to repair the stuff, and that significantly complicates the game, unless the solution for engines would be to go to EVA and bump into the ship violently :), or to wait for reboot commands from Kerbin (a real issue, if you're injecting into a distant planet's orbit).

I'm a fireman. On a daily basis I put on a "space" suit and breath canned air to survive while doing extremely hard physical labor in an IDLH (Immediately Dangerous to Life and Health) environment. I would LOVE to do this in zero-G so the damn suit, tools, and fire hose didn't weigh so much, and so I'd have a temperature control unit inside my suit to keep me from stewing in my own juices.

Astronauts ain't got nothing on terrestrial firemen.

Geschosskopf, it depends which astronauts we're talking about. Today, they work on ISS and have a pretty great time.

Most Apollo astronauts and Soviet cosmonauts had a pretty bad time at EVAs, worse than your worst.

You're also forgetting that mass remains the same, therefore inertia remains the same. Only the weight is lost.

It would be cool to expand scenario's perhaps a function to export your save file as a scenario so the community can make scenarios for each other (would really help in the challenges department). Like landing on the Mun in a craft that misses a landing leg. Or something like the Apollo 13 could be simulated by draining the lander stages of the fuel.

But parts suddenly breaking in game would add nothing to the fun of the game. Even Orbiter, which is a realistic space simulator doesn't do defective parts.

I see the editors as playing with Lego's. When one brick doesn't fit or misses one of these connector dots you throw it away and grab a new one. Whenever a Kerbal grabs a Mainsail and sees it's broken it throws it out and grabs a new one.

To a point I agree. I think it would be fun to occasionally have my ship peppered my micrometeoroids or have life support failure. Extremely rare but having a chance with every launch of something to go horribly wrong would add a bit of fun for me.

However as I said, I agree with you to a point which is why I would prefer if it were to be added for it to be completely optional.

Geschosskopf, it depends which astronauts we're talking about. Today, they work on ISS and have a pretty great time.

Most Apollo astronauts and Soviet cosmonauts had a pretty bad time at EVAs, worse than your worst.

You're also forgetting that mass remains the same, therefore inertia remains the same. Only the weight is lost.

There is no way any astronaut's experience on EVA has ever been as traumatic as the average day for a terrestrial fireman. Go ride the Vomit Comet and then ride along with some firemen.

And no, I'm not forgetting mass doesn't go away. But I've also worked offshore as a roustabout so have tapped multi-ton loads of pipe hanging from cranes, sent them spinning, and thought nothing of it, but have also seen people squashed like bugs from equally spinning loads of pipe hanging from cranes. So yeah, I know about momentum in the absence of weight. But no matter how you slice it, doing such a job, or walking around on the moon, requires almost zero physical effort. Now put on a suit weighing at least as much dry, soak it down with water so it weighs several times more, and go do the hardest physical labor you can imagine while it's 500^F outside and you have no A/C unit in your suit, all with only enough air to last you 15-20 minutes and work to last for hours.

There is no way any astronaut's experience on EVA has ever been as traumatic as the average day for a terrestrial fireman. Go ride the Vomit Comet and then ride along with some firemen.

And no, I'm not forgetting mass doesn't go away. But I've also worked offshore as a roustabout so have tapped multi-ton loads of pipe hanging from cranes, sent them spinning, and thought nothing of it, but have also seen people squashed like bugs from equally spinning loads of pipe hanging from cranes. So yeah, I know about momentum in the absence of weight. But no matter how you slice it, doing such a job, or walking around on the moon, requires almost zero physical effort. Now put on a suit weighing at least as much dry, soak it down with water so it weighs several times more, and go do the hardest physical labor you can imagine while it's 500^F outside and you have no A/C unit in your suit, all with only enough air to last you 15-20 minutes and work to last for hours.

One thing you'll never catch me doing, is downplaying the risks that firefighters have to deal with on a day-to-day basis, not to mention some of the things you guys see. I trained for the volunteer unit in my hometown when I was 18 and only worked one day. Mind you, it wasn't the physical strain that made me quit, I just witnessed something fairly horrifying that I never wanted to see again. Currently I work as a pipefitter in the Alberta oil sands, and though I wouldn't claim it to be as risky as fighting fires, there are still any number of things that can kill or maim you in an instant, Hydrogen Sulfide probably being one of the most prevalent. I guess what I'm saying is that all jobs carry risk, some more than others, but it gets to a point for me at which comparison becomes a mute point.

Also, the weight of the hose, gear, etc. might be a burden, but what I think lajo was saying was how can you control - what is it? - about 1,000 gpm of water coming out of a hose when you weigh a fraction of what you do now?

One final side note: I wonder how much dV you could get out of a 20lb fire extinguisher...

You can basically already do that. If you wanted to do the Mun landing thing or whatever, just build the rocket how you want, like missing a leg. Launch it into orbit or wherever, quicksave. Then put the save file up for download.

P.S. I think if you drag the save or persistence into the scenarios folder, it works like one.

One final side note: I wonder how much dV you could get out of a 20lb fire extinguisher...

That reminds me of WALL-E.

That would be a horrifying experience though, a helmet slowly filling with water.

Wait, that's like how they supposedly used to burry people with just their heads above the sand, below the high tide mark.

Any drowning situation is horrible...

That aside, it would be nice to have a possibility to have trouble with a part of your rocket but... it should be an option that can be activated or deactivated at will. Like in plane simulator they offer you the option to have (or not) parts that fail. All you have to do is tick the option in the menu.

There is no way any astronaut's experience on EVA has ever been as traumatic as the average day for a terrestrial fireman.

Yeah, because just like fire fighters, if things get too hairy you can always evacuate the area.

Oh, wait.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.