NASA's Kepler Mission Confirms First Planet in Habitable Zone of Sun-like Star

tsoramaki

607686main_Kepler22bArtwork_226-170.jpg

NASA\'s Kepler mission has confirmed its first planet in the 'habitable zone,' the region where liquid water could exist on a planet’s surface. Kepler also has discovered more than 1,000 new planet candidates, nearly doubling its previously known count. Ten of these candidates are near-Earth-size and orbit in the habitable zone of their host star.

Source: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/kepler/news/kepscicon-briefing.html

I vote to call this planet Kerbin! Whos with me?

I was waiting on who would say that.

Oooooh I could see the news.

NEWS FLASH:

A company by the name Keebler are filing a major lawsuit towards the space corporation for using a copyrighted brand name on a planet! More details on this interplanetary snack scandal at 11!

Hmm! I wonder whether someone/something on this new planet is using a similar telescope to observe Earth.

News Flash on Kerpin or whatever it\'s called

[move]A planet similar to ours but 2.5 times smaller has been found in a galaxy far far away! :D[/move]

Guest Flixxbeatz

Now how we will reach that place but cutting the travel time by 90-95%, given the travel time of 600 years when travelling at c, and that we cannot yet go faster than c (and also excluding the gamefamous Kerbalogical Concept)?

All we know is roughly where the planet is; it isn\'t going to have left orbit in the past 600 years.

I mean enviromental wise. If it is habitable then who knows what the locals have done. Asteroid impact, global warming, lot\'s of things can happen.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.