-full thrust on launch

-sas enabled on launch

-first staging when the kickstage has flameout

-second staging 1 sec after the first to ignite the main engine

the rest of the flight should be easy

New Version:

-added normalmaps

-fixed inverted controls

-it doesn't matter if you have mechjeb or not, if you have mechjeb, the control part will have mechjeb

-blanced engines and fuel

-fixed whobbling

-changed some meshes

BETA:

-added textures

-changed some parameters

Downloadlink for R-36M testers:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/74618963/R-36M.zip

Result of launch(hopefully):

qvxwbir.jpg

Upcoming:

-the (often requested) Dnepr version

-engine heat animation

-more balancing

greetings

Themorris

Edited by Themorris
update

Have you thought of also making Tsylkon and Dnepr carrier rockets? They're all derived from R-36 variants, so you should only need to make a few more parts.

Have you thought of also making Tsylkon and Dnepr carrier rockets? They're all derived from R-36 variants, so you should only need to make a few more parts.

Perhaps...

my first aim is to finish the ss-18 to get a workflow, so I can create a rocket silo for it. The rest depends on my mood and my free time.

But right now I have a bit of freetime and continue modeling the first rocket. I was unable to find pictures of the engine of the second stage, so I had to improvise.

I also couldn't find any blueprints of the warhead.

WIP:

3DIWfHg.png

greetings

Themorris

I dug this up on the warhead, not much but something. Apparently it used a very compound warhead with up to 10 smallish nuclear warheads and an assortment of dummy warheads.

Designated 15F143U, the warhead section of the R-36M missile featured its own propulsion system and could carry three different types of reentry vehicles, RVs. A multi-warhead version of the warhead carried a cluster of ten reentry vehicles in two configurations.

Each reentry vehicle carrying nuclear charge was equipped with its own solid-propellant engine developed at NPO Altai and designated 15D161 and 15D221.

The R-36M was also designed to carry a single warhead designated 15F141, apparently the most destructive warhead in the Soviet arsenal.

In all configurations, the missile carried an assortment of dummy warheads, along with live charges. Both, live and dummy warheads, were equipped with their own solid-propellant motors.

You might want to check the data on Tsyklon-2 and Dnepr LVs. They're both derived from the R-36 and share a lot of components. I believe they're also commercially available, meaning they're less likely to be classified.

It's armament varied depending on the model. I know one had 10 MIRVs (I crap myself thinking about it) and another that just had a large (really excessive) fusion warhead. From my previous research, I know that the MIRVs held a lot of other thing besides the nukes like countermeasures (i.e. chaff, guidance computers, thrusters, etc.) and some may even be decoys.

I couldn't find much on the second stage engine besides what I already posted and some info that isn't very useful in KSP. I'll see if I can find anything else, just don't rely on me.

Edit: More info.

http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/russia/icbm/r-36.htm

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/r36.html

Edited by Floki

Hi,

I've startet working on the starting procedure of the R-36M. It's now like the real one. It gets pushed up, fires the kickstage away and ignites the main engine.

Here are some pictures:

rSOnJCO.jpg

w9kaCCj.jpg

ezP2CGP.jpg

nAIO3z4.jpg

I've also fixed the inverted controls of the engine.

Textures are coming as soon as I got the whole missile imported and working.

greetings

Themorris

Edited by Themorris
type error

@Dragon01

You wouldn't believe me if I told you what I found...

http://snebulos.mit.edu/projects/reference/launch_vehicles/DNEPR/Dnepr_User_Guide.pdf

very detailed...

greetings Themorris

Wow. I've found user guides for other launch vehicles just as detailed, but nothing as impressive as this. Also, that thing is looking good, can't wait to see the final product.

Just finished texturing the main fueltank:

zt05FGZ.png

The first two stage are working so far, but I think I have to do it with a single warhead, the other ones are useless as long as you can't control all at the same time.

It's done...

The whole thing is imported and WORKING!

hUvSzcK.jpg

Now comes texturing and balancing.

I think I publish the untextured parts with a craft file, so you can test it and report me bugs(if there are some)

You'll find it in the OP

Cheers

Themorris

Can you tell us which part uses MJ so we can remove that part in its .cfg? I don't really want to use MJ. Can you put a .zip archive file up too? I don't really want to take the time to convert it to .zip myself.

I know that there are more people out there who won't use mechjeb, so I will upload a version without.

The part, that is using mechjeb is ss18_reentry_vehicle_guidance.

cheers

Themorris