Leemon1

[1.0.5/1.1 pre_Release] Electric Charge Meter

I've released my first mod for KSP; a visual meter that will show you how much electric charge you have remaining on your vessel. The meter has adjustable warning levels, to let you know when your power is getting low.

Update - I uploaded a new version that is compatible with KSP version 1.1 pre-Release

http://www.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/223817-electric-charge-meter

Here is a Youtube video of a prototype version:

Enjoy!

Leemon1

Edited by Leemon1
update

Man- just wanted to say this part is a LIFESAVER. It's become stock on every single probe I build, and a good most of my ships. Only thing I'm curious about- why does the green light blink?

And, are there any plans to make versions for say, Monoprop, Fuel, Oxidizer, etc?

Might be nice to have a small panel assembly...

Edited by Tassyr

Useful. Agreed.

And it will be more useful if it works for other types of resources like Oxygen from some life support plugins, etc...

Looks like a nice little addon. Cant figure out why on Earth it has such a negative rating, but downloading anyways.

It's a great little add on. I just bumped up the rating on SpacePort.

We need more of these types of mods. Fill in all the niches before you start making 5m parts :P

Great job, downloading.

Big thumbs up. I hope you decide to make a variety of these kinds of things. I would love to have EVA usable gauges for kerbals in chairs and such.

I like visual indicators of stuff, but I think this could be improved by reducing the mass of this part. It currently weighs 10kg, which is a large percentage compared to the size of small probes.

I agree, 10kg (22 lbs.) for a display sensor is a bit heavy (major understatement). It makes me wonder what it's made of to be so small and weigh that much, especially on a spacecraft, where extra weight requires exponential fuel and thrust, not to mention the placement of one on the side of a rocket would cause it to be lopsided and require some sort of compensation.

It is pretty easy to add it to the tech tree, just check out the config file in the part folder and enter the lines TechRequired = survivability

entryCost = 0

THIS IS BEFORE

// --- editor parameters ---

cost = 100

category = Utility

subcategory = 1

title = Charge Meter

manufacturer = LeemonCorp

description = A visual indicator of the electric charge remaining for a vessel

THIS IS AFTER

// --- editor parameters ---

TechRequired = survivability

entryCost = 0

cost = 100

category = Utility

subcategory = 1

title = Charge Meter

manufacturer = LeemonCorp

description = A visual indicator of the electric charge remaining for a vessel

Any chance to update this great plugin to 0.23+ ?

I dig up the source but cant figure out why dont work. :/

I updated the code to provide tweakable yellow and red warning levels. The new version, which is compatible with 0.24.x, has been posted to the Curse site and I updated the original post. I hope that some of you are enjoying my mod. It was a fun learning exercise to create it.

Sometimes the simplest addons have the biggest overall benefit in the long run.. This is one of them.

Thanks for the update! It's such a nice, simple mod.

This is pretty cool. Is there a chance of getting a version wich reacts to the "consuption/production-rate" of electric charge?

What I try to explain is something like this:

- green light if your vessel/rover has a allover positive rate of electrcity

-Yellow if it doesnt change

-Red if you're draining your batteries.

Would be nice for rovers to see when you have to make a break and look for a nice sunny spot.

I like it. I request the ability to define a different resource in the cfg. Imagine a starship bridge with a "christmas tree".

On 4/1/2016 at 5:37 PM, Azimech said:

I like it. I request the ability to define a different resource in the cfg. Imagine a starship bridge with a "christmas tree".

Second the ability to be able to specify the resource.

@Leemon1 Would it be possible to setup a tweakable for the part in the VAB/SPH to change what resource the indicator displays?