The Ant - No reason to live

Just thought that the ant needs some tweaking, considering that it's only benefit over the 24-77 was that it was in-line is now gone. The 24-77 Has more thrust, efficiency, and the same utility. Anyone else like to see it having a purpose? A high efficiency low thrust engine would be nice for bridging the gap between Liquid and ion in the probe category

Here's a nice breakdown of the LV-1 Ant, 48-7s, LV-1R radial ant, and the 24-77:[TABLE=class: grid, width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]name[/TD]

[TD]LV-1 Ant[/TD]

[TD]48-7s[/TD]

[TD]LV-1R[/TD]

[TD]24-77[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Radial / Inline[/TD]

[TD]Inline[/TD]

[TD]Inline[/TD]

[TD]Radial[/TD]

[TD]Radial[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Gimbal Range (degrees)[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]0[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Mass (tonne)[/TD]

[TD]0.03[/TD]

[TD]0.1[/TD]

[TD]0.03[/TD]

[TD]0.09[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Thrust (kN)[/TD]

[TD]1.5[/TD]

[TD]20[/TD]

[TD]1.5[/TD]

[TD]20[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]TWR (Kerbin sea level)[/TD]

[TD]5.097[/TD]

[TD]20.39[/TD]

[TD]5.097[/TD]

[TD]22.65[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Vac Isp (s)[/TD]

[TD]290[/TD]

[TD]350[/TD]

[TD]290[/TD]

[TD]300[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1 atm Isp (s)[/TD]

[TD]200[/TD]

[TD]300[/TD]

[TD]200[/TD]

[TD]250[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Currently it appears that the main benefit of the ant engines are much lower masses, which allows the payload to be much lighter (keep in mind that for a small satellite 0.07 tonnes can be a fair amount). I also think that the low thrust does have uses, considering that it can make landing very light landers easier due to the increased control over TWR with the throttle.

It might be left the way it is now and will be balanced by being more expensive or by using a different fuel mixture once the resource update happens.

Edited by ferram4

The 48-7S is extremely useful on small payloads, but for very small and micro payloads, the ant is still the best choice.

Also, I see a lot of people building Duna rover skycranes with four 24-77 engines, which are ridiculously overpowered for that job and could be swapped with LV-1Rs.

I've used the Ant engine to propel some station modules like the Salyuts, Mir, and Zvezda, they were surprisingly effective! As such, combined with their superb performance powering small satelites, I think the Ant engine fills a niche that no other engine can really fill.

an oscar fuel tank and an ant engine on the butt end of any small satellite should give enough dV to adjust it's orbit pretty much any way you would need.

The 48-7 has better ISP but you need to get to a fairly big sized satellite with more fuel before that pays off vs the low weight of the ant. I prefer the higher thrust ones for landing tho, means I can decelerate fast when I come in too quick :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.