Does a High Level of Stupidity Mean That the Kerbal is Smart?

glugg23

I was wondering before I hire some astronauts, if a high level on the stupidity bar makes them smart or not. I know there was a thread on this but I can not seem to find it. So I was wondering if anyone had the answer.

Stupidity/courage only has an effect on their reactions to situations. One with high scores in both like Jeb will always seem to have a goofy grin on their face where as ones with a lower score in courage will frequently be worried like Bill or Bob.

Jeb does indeed have a "badass" flag which makes him grin in almost any situation, the only time he gets worried is if something explodes catastrophically nearby. Some other kerbals also happen to be flagged as "badass" sometimes as well, my Space Station Archangel is currently crewed by at least 10 or so badasses including Jeb (who is commander!).

I know the OP seems strange, but I do get what he is saying.

When you look at the meters it can be a little confusing. Because if you wanted a great pilot, technically, you are looking for Kerbal that have one bar high (courage) and the other low (stupidity). We humans have been programmed to look at graphs in the same light: up is good. In this case one metric up is good, and the other metric down is also good.

Maybe to make things a little more appeasing to the human eye and brain, the stupidity meter be labeled as "Intelligence" (even though the word stupidity is more humorous). Then we could scan the Kerbals metrics for all high marks to select the best.

I know the OP seems strange, but I do get what he is saying.

When you look at the meters it can be a little confusing. Because if you wanted a great pilot, technically, you are looking for Kerbal that have one bar high (courage) and the other low (stupidity). We humans have been programmed to look at graphs in the same light: up is good. In this case one metric up is good, and the other metric down is also good.

Maybe to make things a little more appeasing to the human eye and brain, the stupidity meter be labeled as "Intelligence" (even though the word stupidity is more humorous). Then we could scan the Kerbals metrics for all high marks to select the best.

I think it already IS that way: Bill has high Stupidity/Dumb (0.8), Bob has Low Stupidity/Dumb (0.1). So far as I'm aware, Bob's always been portrayed as the 'stupid' one, so... yeah.

Has these properties effect to any other thing than facial expressions? There should be some, like you must choose very stupid and very courage guy to land on Eve. Otherwise he would refuse to start deorbit burn.

Has these properties effect to any other thing than facial expressions? There should be some, like you must choose very stupid and very courage guy to land on Eve. Otherwise he would refuse to start deorbit burn.

Nope, just their reactions. More or less, Stupidity/Dumb affects their ability to determine if what's going on is dangerous or not. Courage/Brave determines the amount of perceived danger they're willing to put up with without screaming their heads off. At least, so I've gathered from things I've read and what I've seen.

I'm now debating doing a test launch later with some kerbals hacked to be in the 'four corners' of possibility to compare their reactions.

Also: BadS = true overrides their values completely and makes them grin like a madman (or like they're completely baked) all the time, unless there's explosions. Jeb actually has 0.5/0.5, it's just his BadS flag that makes him grinny.

Just thinking, isn't stupidity and courage, at least for Kerbals, the same? :confused:

The way I see it is I need one of them to be high, because to get in a rocket I built the Kerbal has to be brave or stupid. If i'm sending them on a science mission I pick the brave but not stupid ones, for other missions, either will do.

Nope, just their reactions. More or less, Stupidity/Dumb affects their ability to determine if what's going on is dangerous or not. Courage/Brave determines the amount of perceived danger they're willing to put up with without screaming their heads off. At least, so I've gathered from things I've read and what I've seen.

I'm now debating doing a test launch later with some kerbals hacked to be in the 'four corners' of possibility to compare their reactions.

Also: BadS = true overrides their values completely and makes them grin like a madman (or like they're completely baked) all the time, unless there's explosions. Jeb actually has 0.5/0.5, it's just his BadS flag that makes him grinny.

This makes sense, because it might give a reason to treat stupidity as being a good thing, therefor making both bars positive when full, i.e. you'd look for brave, stupid kerbals.

I personally always try to pick smart and courageous Kerbals :-).

I think it already IS that way: Bill has high Stupidity/Dumb (0.8), Bob has Low Stupidity/Dumb (0.1). So far as I'm aware, Bob's always been portrayed as the 'stupid' one, so... yeah.

I don't think it's reversed. I'm pretty sure Bill is the stupid one, Bob is the cowardly but smart one.

It says the same on their background story on the wiki. http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Crew

I dont really understand why one would assume what the op assumed even after reading the whole thread. It is rather clear to me that the higher the stupidity bar is - the dumber the Kerbal.

But i have to admit those 2 stats seem to be rather bad for purposes later on.

Courage: - Kerbal will endure more extreme situations and not freak out - therefore stay prodcutive (if this will ever be implemented)

Stupidity: - Kerbalw ill endure more extreme situations since he wont actually realize how dangerouse they are - therefore stay productiv within the limits of his mental capabilities

Which is why those 2 stats seem to be a bad choice for me because they probably have similar effects yet courage will have a big advantage.

Also Badass seems to be a rather similar attribute aswell since its a probably a mixture of courage and stupidity.

I think Intelligence and Stupidity would have been a better choice because this would have forced you to choose between doing stuff perfect but failing in extreme conditions and failing at stuff while beeing able to carry on no matter the situation.

As it is now the best Kerbal will have high courage, low stupidity and be a badass. I dont see the point in beeing fearless due to stupidity when the Kerbal is courageous in the first place.

Edited by SpaceHole

I don't think it's reversed. I'm pretty sure Bill is the stupid one, Bob is the cowardly but smart one.

It says the same on their background story on the wiki.

It also says: "This page is humorous and fiction. It should not be taken at face value."

Since there's nothing in-game to back it up, I'd hardly draw conclusions from it. I'll rely on watching how they react in situations, instead.

Bill strikes me as level-headed and not prone to panic - but that's not just Courage. Bob screams like an idiot even when everything is under control - for instance, during a controlled ascent. If he's "smart", that's sure a poor way of showing it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.