MechJeb 2 - Patch test bed release (October 10)

sarbian

and since the AR202 unit is the only item that carries a charge on mine, I should have a charge for the full 20 minutes the vehicle is in the shadow of said planet..

Note: Reaction wheels consume power now. The AR202 is the only thing consuming power if and only if you don't turn your ship. If you try to move, you're not gonna get 20 minutes...

Edited by Gaius

Why are the probe cores' batteries being depleted even if their reaction wheels are turned off?

Doesn't the remote guidance unit use charge to do it's remote guidance thing? It might take a long time to deplete your batteries, but that's what time acceleration is for.

Note: Reaction wheels consume power now. The AR202 is the only thing consuming power if and only if you don't turn your ship. If you try to move, you're not gonna get 20 minutes...

Noited, hnowever I don't use probe units on my space tugs, ergo there's no power drain from the probes as there are no reactio wheels.. and since the only other parts are the landing gear, the solar panels, the 4 parachutes (radially mounted) not to mention the batteries and the Mechjeb unit, the only thing that should be draining power off hte batteries is in fact the mechjeb unit itself..

and even if I do put a probe until onthe space craft, the unit is turne doff during docking to not confuse the ship.. Mechjjeb is completely running the show, and the drain on the AR202 is fast.. On average I have to recharge the unit with the batteries every 4-5 minutes.. if not more..

And that's the point.. Without anything else turned on or being used the batteries should drain to mechjeb directly.. instad the unti dies during important maneuvers and thus makes the entire craft a fee drifing craft until the unit is recharged by right clicking the batterie then Alt Clicking the mecjeb unit..

So I think this shouid be investigated further.. cause to me this is kind of geting annoying have to power up the MJ2 AR202 every few moments.

Space_Coyote

Doesn't the remote guidance unit use charge to do it's remote guidance thing? It might take a long time to deplete your batteries, but that's what time acceleration is for.

I did not think of that. True, communication consumes energy.

The lightest probe core out there, that octagonal flat thingy, goes down fast even if you let it tumble around with reaction wheels turned off.

can we see a part file for the second?

and does the config live in its own folder?

Thank you for looking

The set up is this

Gamedata

Mechjeb

Plugins <--------------Aug 30 Plugin

Parts

Model

Model000

Part/Mechjeb_AR202 (Original command setup)

PART {

// --- general parameters ---

name = mumech_MJ2_AR202

module = CommandPod

author = r4m0n/The_Duck (code) || keptin (part)

// --- asset parameters ---

mesh = model.mu

rescaleFactor = 0.75

// --- node definitions ---

node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1, 0, 0

// --- editor parameters ---

cost = 550

category = Control

subcategory = 0

title = MechJeb 2 (AR202 case)

manufacturer = Anatid Robotics

description = A ruggedized version of MechJeb's neural circuits in a radial-mount case.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision

attachRules = 0,1,0,0,0

// --- standard part parameters ---

mass = 0.00001

dragModelType = default

maximum_drag = 0.0

minimum_drag = 0.0

angularDrag = 0

crashTolerance = 6

maxTemp = 2900

// --- pod/rcs parameters ---

CrewCapacity = 0

rotPower = 0

linPower = 0

Kp = 0

Kd = 0

vesselType = Probe

MODULE

{

name = ModuleCommand

minimumCrew = 0

RESOURCE

{

name = ElectricCharge

rate = 0.005

}

}

MODULE

{

name = MechJebCore

}

MODULE

{

name = MechJebAR202

}

RESOURCE

{

name = ElectricCharge

amount = 5

maxAmount = 5

}

}

Model

Model000

Part/Mechjeb_AR202 V1 (sarbians Module)

PART {

name = mumech_MJ2_AR202 V1

_1 module = Part

// --- asset parameters ---

mesh = model.mu

rescaleFactor = 0.75

// --- node definitions ---

node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1, 0, 0

// --- editor parameters ---

cost = 550

category = Control

subcategory = 0

title = MechJeb V1 (AR202 case)

manufacturer = Anatid Robotics

description = A ruggedized version of MechJeb's neural circuits in a radial-mount case.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision

attachRules = 0,1,0,0,0

// --- standard part parameters ---

mass = 0.00001

dragModelType = default

maximum_drag = 0.0

minimum_drag = 0.0

angularDrag = 0

crashTolerance = 6

maxTemp = 2900

MODULE

{

name = MechJebCore

}

MODULE

{

name = MechJebAR202

}

}

Im not sure this makes sense, I was trying to show the exact structure.

EDIT im sorry about the long post, i dont know how to make it smaller.

instad the unti dies during important maneuvers and thus makes the entire craft a fee drifing craft until the unit is recharged by right clicking the batterie then Alt Clicking the mecjeb unit..

Space_Coyote

Wait, why are you having to rightclick on batteries to "refill" the ar202????? This is the first I have ever heard of this type of issue, it should pull power directly from the batteries without any intervention from you. It sounds like you may be using some other mod that is interfering, the fuel balancing mod perhaps?

I have used the AR202 since version 1.9.8 of Mechjeb and never encountered an issue like this. It's something on your end.

Ok, assuming this isn't a formatting error when you pasted it in, this section here is broken:

_1 module = Part

should be

name = mumech_MJ2_AR202_V1_1
module = Part

btw, don't use spaces for config node names. Use _ or periods. (actually I think underscores actually get converted to periods internally)

technically spaces do work in as much as the part being loaded during KSP startup but they're not legal characters for URI names and can break things later on. (it makes it impossible for that part to be located by ModuleManager )

Also, Re: Space_Coyote's problems, that's less of an MJ2 bug and more like standard behavior from KSP. Any command module (manned or remote) drains electricity. MJ2 module drains electricity regardless of whether it's on the AR202 or on a battery. i.e. that AR202 can be drained just like it IS a battery by any other part needing power. Coyote you either need more electrical solutions or you need to conduct operations in the daylit side only.

Also, Fuel Balancer wont interfere with ElectricCharge resource. It won't do anything to it that you don't tell it to. In fact it doesn't automatically balance anything. You have to tell it when you want it to do anything.

Ok, assuming this isn't a formatting error when you pasted it in, this section here is broken:

_1 module = Part

should be

name = mumech_MJ2_AR202_V1_1
module = Part

btw, don't use spaces for config node names. Use _ or periods. (actually I think underscores actually get converted to periods internally)

technically spaces do work in as much as the part being loaded during KSP startup but they're not legal characters for URI names and can break things later on. (it makes it impossible for that part to be located by ModuleManager )

Also, Re: Space_Coyote's problems, that's less of an MJ2 bug and more like standard behavior from KSP. Any command module (manned or remote) drains electricity. MJ2 module drains electricity regardless of whether it's on the AR202 or on a battery. i.e. that AR202 can be drained just like it IS a battery by any other part needing power. Coyote you either need more electrical solutions or you need to conduct operations in the daylit side only.

Also, Fuel Balancer wont interfere with ElectricCharge resource. It won't do anything to it that you don't tell it to. In fact it doesn't automatically balance anything. You have to tell it when you want it to do anything.

Ok thank you for the advice, I appreciate your time in explaining that to me

Also, Re: Space_Coyote's problems, that's less of an MJ2 bug and more like standard behavior from KSP. Any command module (manned or remote) drains electricity. MJ2 module drains electricity regardless of whether it's on the AR202 or on a battery. i.e. that AR202 can be drained just like it IS a battery by any other part needing power.

This doesn't describe the behavior he's getting with the batteries though. Even if the AR202 is drained it shouldn't go dead if there are still batteries on the craft with charge in them. At least not in my experience. As long as you have something on the craft that still has some stored electric charge or is generating enough charge, everything that uses energy should still run. Having to move electrical charge around like fuel smacks of something wrong.

This doesn't describe the behavior he's getting with the batteries though. Even if the AR202 is drained it shouldn't go dead if there are still batteries on the craft with charge in them. At least not in my experience. As long as you have something on the craft that still has some stored electric charge or is generating enough charge, everything that uses energy should still run. Having to move electrical charge around like fuel smacks of something wrong.

Do we definitely know that his batteries still have charge? If so I missed that part, sorry.

A couple of feature requests if at all possible (i.e. pretty please with cherries on top?)

Some sort of way to display the torque to weight ratio of the ship. I often wonder if I'm over-provisioning reaction wheels.

Some sort of way to show the electrical budget (input/output ratio) of the ship/stage.

An aerobraking window/display that doesn't include the landing guidance window.

A gravity assist planner/autopilot that can plot both types of gravity assists (in front of target body = slowing down, opposite = speeding up)

Thanks, I'm really glad someone is looking at improving/fixing MechJeb. I have terrible hand/eye coordination and find manual control of my ships to be almost impossible. MechJeb really makes KSP enjoyable for me

EDIT: can I also ask for a "safe landing at KSC" option? In other words I'd like to land just outside the KSC rather than risk crashing into the buildings or launch pad.

Edited by dizzysaurus
another cheeky request

A couple of feature requests if at all possible (i.e. pretty please with cherries on top?)

Some sort of way to display the torque to weight ratio of the ship. I often wonder if I'm over-provisioning reaction wheels.

Some sort of way to show the electrical budget (input/output ratio) of the ship/stage.

An aerobraking window/display that doesn't include the landing guidance window.

A gravity assist planner/autopilot that can plot both types of gravity assists (in front of target body = slowing down, opposite = speeding up)

Thanks, I'm really glad someone is looking at improving/fixing MechJeb. I have terrible hand/eye coordination and find manual control of my ships to be almost impossible. MechJeb really makes KSP enjoyable for me

EDIT: can I also ask for a "safe landing at KSC" option? In other words I'd like to land just outside the KSC rather than risk crashing into the buildings or launch pad.

You can target the KSC (in the auto-landing window thing) and land at target. Granted 'land at target' isn't always reliable but you can easily work around that when you are on final approach (say a kilometer up or so or whenever the predicted landing deviation is within acceptable limits to you)

At that point, hit the abort landing button then immediately click 'land anywhere'

Edited by Starwaster

Sorry if this has been covered, but I'm new to Kerbal. The Mechjeb seems faulty, yes, I have done the updates with the new mechjeb and the alternative .dll file... but still...

Mechjeb never seems to put the object into the desired orbit, going to the Mun is near impossible (let alone anywhere else) and a few other very annoying issues.

I love mechjeb, and this old Geriatric Space Jockey is too old to learn how to do it manually... I need Mechjeb... :(

At take off, I set the height to 100K and the course to 45 degrees, in order to take me to the Mun.

Never once has the course actually been 45 by the time the auto pilot switches off, its either a few degrees off, or wildly off by as much as 100 points, ie, 145 degrees. I have used both rockets that came with the game, and my designs, but nothing ever seems to work.

Sorry if this has been covered, but I'm new to Kerbal. The Mechjeb seems faulty, yes, I have done the updates with the new mechjeb and the alternative .dll file... but still...

Mechjeb never seems to put the object into the desired orbit, going to the Mun is near impossible (let alone anywhere else) and a few other very annoying issues.

I love mechjeb, and this old Geriatric Space Jockey is too old to learn how to do it manually... I need Mechjeb... :(

MJ has several bugs, but they are manageable, Sarbian is trying to improve it. I think the original dev is busy with something.

Anyway here are a few small tips that i use. Now that does not mean its the best way. Several here know so much more than me. But this works reliably for me

-if your launching big rockets its good to turn off gjmbal

-if you are using old mj unit be sure to set *control from here* on your command pod/ if your using Sarbian unit. dont worry about this.

-Set up your ascent control. Usually i park at a 100km Orbit for things around Kerbin or Mun transfer

-I would select these options, this is only my opinion -prevent overheat/Limit Terminal Velocity/if you use the Limit acceleration, i set mine at 20/corrective steering/auto stage, just keep an eye on it. sometimes you have to just hit it manually.

-It is also a good idea to set the tolerance to atleast .5 or higher in Maneuver Planner, this will keep MJ from chasing the ball so much. He is like a cat chasing a light, looking for that thing sometimes

-Edit Ascent path- I like to turn start around 10km and for bigger and heavier rockets i even set up to 12km

-i do a turn in altitude at 80km and just leave it set at 40km turn shape. You can adjust how you prefer when you get use to it.

-the automatic altitude turn i have not used, so someone else can tell you if its good or not.

That should get you into Orbit, now for a transfer to Mun(again this works for me, Others have better ways)

-Go to Map view, select mun as target.

go to maneuver planner

-select Hohmann transfer to target/create node and execute

-you can warp to SOI with warp helper if you want, I would give atleast 10s Lead Time

-when you get to SOI, go back to Maneuver planner and select change Peri to what ever you want. create and execute

-circularize at next Peri create and execute.

that should get you into Orbit around the Mun/Moon and you can change your inclination if you want.

I hope this helps, Im sure some will correct my mistakes. so keep an open for their opinions aswell.

Edit one more thing, if your rocket is acting really crazy, restart the launch. Sometimes that will fix the problem

Edited by viperwolf

Just to throw my 2 cents into the pot, MechJeb has no flaws that have been sufficient to stop me from:

1. Sending an unmanned probe to Minmus to scan for kethane
  2. repeatedly adjusting its orbit to a 75 degree orbit
  3. Sending a depot station to Minmus
  4. Sending and docking habitat and greenhouse modules to Minmus Station
  5. Sending and docking additional kethane tanks to Minmus Station
  6. Sending mining ships to Minmus
  7. Landing the mining ships, lifting off, rendezvousing with Minmus Station and docking
  8. Repeat the last one 8 times

I relied on MechJeb to do most of the above. I think MechJeb can get you to the Mun.

A couple of feature requests if at all possible (i.e. pretty please with cherries on top?) . . . Some sort of way to show the electrical budget (input/output ratio) of the ship/stage. . .

This! I made this suggestion as an addition to MJ2 about 3 months ago on the main MechJeb2 github but I guess it was missed or something. Here it is https://github.com/MuMech/MechJeb2/issues/141. Another mod named Fusebox has recently provided many of those stats in a separate plugin but I think it just feels much more natural to have those stats in MechJeb. Anybody else thinking some thing similar?

At take off, I set the height to 100K and the course to 45 degrees, in order to take me to the Mun.

No wonder you can't reach the Mun - it's orbit is in the equatorial plane (0 degrees).

Never once has the course actually been 45 by the time the auto pilot switches off, its either a few degrees off, or wildly off by as much as 100 points, ie, 145 degrees. I have used both rockets that came with the game, and my designs, but nothing ever seems to work.

That's a very odd bug... what other mods do you have installed?

Hi guys and gals. Can anyone tell me whether the functionality of being able to control more than one craft at a time (within 250m) has been removed/restored/ignored? I think I read somewhere that it had been removed but I am sure I just managed it with one craft but not another. It is a function I use a LOT so if anyone had a definitive answer I would be very happy to find out.

EDIT: just tested and it seems that it is no longer possible to control an unfocused craft. Does anyone know the last version where this functionality remains? I will have to stop at that version and cope with any bugs that remain there...

Edited by John FX