MechJeb 2 - Patch test bed release (October 10)

sarbian

Just posting a note that if I name a ship: Odyssey 2 "Walrus" (with quotes in it), which KSP accepts, MechJeb goes wonky. All custom windows disappear and the custom window editor no longer shows any available settings.

yes something like that. we all have done this by making a re sized part or altered cfg and also keep the original as well.

Load the game, exit immediately from the front menu, then go look through the KSP.log file for where it is loading those assets - search it on the filenames (without the extension) and on the part names - it may give you a clue as to what is happening.

Are you trying to rendezvous with the Mun? I don't think that will really work. Use maneuver planner to setup a hohmann transfer then once in the SOI of the Mun use maneuver planner again to circularize an orbit.

Rendezvous autopilot is trying to put you next to the Mun at whatever distance you have set, but that distance is from the center of the object targeted, not the surface. Hence, crashing into the Mun on autowarp.

Rendezvous autopilot is meant more for meeting up with other craft, not planetary bodies.

Edited by sojourner

Are you trying to rendezvous with the Mun? I don't think that will really work. Use maneuver planner to setup a hohmann transfer then once in the SOI of the Mun use maneuver planner again to circularize an orbit.

Rendezvous autopilot is trying to put you next to the Mun at whatever distance you have set, but that distance is from the center of the object targeted, not the surface. Hence, crashing into the Mun on autowarp.

Rendezvous autopilot is meant more for meeting up with other craft, not planetary bodies.

.......Oh my........ no wonder i keep adding craters on Mun.

I have surely did it wrong then. Thanks for guiding me back to the right path!! orz

.......Oh my........ no wonder i keep adding craters on Mun.

I have surely did it wrong then. Thanks for guiding me back to the right path!! orz

Once you get a H transfer

warp to sol, then you can change Per to you desired calculation. after it finishes its alignment then circularize at Per. This works for me really well, i use to be able to just set up several nodes at one time and let MJ do its thing. But that does not seem to work anymore. For me anyway, it gets confused and starts capitalizing the Jeb part of mechjeb.<-----that was a bad attempt at a joke

Once you get a H transfer

warp to sol, then you can change Per to you desired calculation. after it finishes its alignment then circularize at Per. This works for me really well, i use to be able to just set up several nodes at one time and let MJ do its thing. But that does not seem to work anymore. For me anyway, it gets confused and starts capitalizing the Jeb part of mechjeb.<-----that was a bad attempt at a joke

You don't even have to wait for SOI. My approach is: wait until the TMI burn is over and use the Maneuver Planner to adjust closest approach. I tell it to set the closest approach to 75km, and after the burn I end up with 11-15km (using about 15m/s dV - and, since 11-15km still misses the surface, it's good enough). Then, once in the Mun's SoI, tell the maneuver planner to set apoapsis to the desired orbit, swing around the Mun, and circularize at the apoapsis.

Perhaps I oughta add something to end rendezvous on SOI change...

Perhaps I oughta add something to end rendezvous on SOI change...

No, that would be a step in the wrong direction. As I said before, I don't think it's intended for use when targeting planetary bodies. You can just use a hohman transfer to do it. You'd get the same results as "canceling on SOI change" anyway.

"Fine tune closest approach to target" does not seem to work.

I went to Duna and set the approach to be 50 km Pe, but after the maneuver it was about a million km. I manually created a new maneuver node and managed to correct the Pe with no problems. However, I had to do a radial burn to achieve the desired Pe.

Does Mechjeb do only pro- and retrograde burns when fine-tuning the approach?

No, that would be a step in the wrong direction. As I said before, I don't think it's intended for use when targeting planetary bodies. You can just use a hohman transfer to do it. You'd get the same results as "canceling on SOI change" anyway.

Would be nice to have it try to setup a stable orbit if you set rendezvous at a moon or something, I think. Anyhow, just a thought. :)

Forgive the noob questions: unlike many posters here, I don't need any help using this, but I would appreciate some help on installing the forked version properly.

So I've gone ahead and backed up my existing "official" version of MechJeb2 in a zipfile, just in case. Ditto my current persistence file.

I assume the next step is to delete the existing MechJeb2 folder(s) from GameData and replace them with the contents of the "full zip installl" (sic) MechJeb2-Multipatch zipfile?

How many versions is that currently behind the latest build linked on the front page (the dropbox link)? Should I install that build, and if so, how exactly should I copy it over the above directory(s)?

Will this work with any MechJeb2 AR202 parts installed on spacecraft already in flight? Will it destroy such craft upon load, due to missing part?

Are there any other issues I should be aware of, transitioning from the last official build to this one?

Forgive the noob questions: unlike many posters here, I don't need any help using this, but I would appreciate some help on installing the forked version properly.

So I've gone ahead and backed up my existing "official" version of MechJeb2 in a zipfile, just in case. Ditto my current persistence file.

I assume the next step is to delete the existing MechJeb2 folder(s) from GameData and replace them with the contents of the "full zip installl" (sic) MechJeb2-Multipatch zipfile?

How many versions is that currently behind the latest build linked on the front page (the dropbox link)? Should I install that build, and if so, how exactly should I copy it over the above directory(s)?

Will this work with any MechJeb2 AR202 parts installed on spacecraft already in flight? Will it destroy such craft upon load, due to missing part?

Are there any other issues I should be aware of, transitioning from the last official build to this one?

as far as I know, the part is still in the mod. However if the AR202 part is not present in the mod for any reason then any craft in any save file you load will be deleted.

Thank you. Still waiting on an answer for the rest of what you quoted.
Short answer, remove the old versions you have, install the new version from the link in the first post of thread.

Also note that there's a dropbox link on the OP for the plugin itself. Download that (the dll) and copy that over the mechjeb2.dll file from the first download. (because the one in the zip file has a severe bug)

There's also config files around (sorry not going to go hunt for them right now, in a big hurry) that will equip stock command/remote modules with MechJeb2 control and render the AR202 module unnecessary. (as in you wouldn't have to actually attach it to anything)

Thank you, that's just what I needed.

(And thanks for confirming that the update from the dropbox IS necessary.)

I'm aware of the option to patch the functionality right into pods, but I think I'll keep holding off on that. Thanks for that also, though.

Oh, lemme add the part to the dropbox link,

Edit: Done, but it's the older one with the command module in the part still. The folder 'GameData' has everything you should need for mechjeb to work.

Edited by Reddot99

ok im trying to use two different MJ units with the same sarbian Aug 30 plugin

Ex- one ar202 is the modified Sarbian one

the other is the original mj.

No mater what i do i cannot get both to show up. ive tried renaming the unit like you would for any other part, if your wanting duplicates re sized or whatever. any thoughts?

Mechjeb/

parts/

-then both units with different names

EX.

Ar202.1 with its own model.mu/model000/part<----contatining Orginal Mj

Ar202.2 with its own model.mu/model000/part<----containing Sarbian modified unit

can we see a part file for the second?

and does the config live in its own folder?

Howdy Space_coyote here,

Well I got a bug to report and it involves the actual AR202 unit and the fact that it doesn't seem to be holding a charge when you have batteries on the craft..

Let me explain.. I am always it seems trying to doc my ship to antoher ship andevery time I go into the shadow of a planet the AR202 unit (which has an Electrical charge of just 5. is alwyas running out of power, even though there are batteries and solar panels on the ship..

The way a MJ unit should lose power is when the batties of the ship hit 0 I mean other than that, it should remain charged until the battiers run out of power.. due to the fact that if you aren't making power via the solar panels, you should be losing it..

and since the AR202 unit is the only item that carries a charge on mine, I should have a charge for the full 20 minutes the vehicle is in the shadow of said planet..

that's the only issue I can see. Maybe if you pass this along to the guys who develoeped the AR202 maybe then docking would be more fun rather than having to couble click on both a battery and the unit to keep it charged..

Hope that helps

Space_Coyote