Making the KSC more lively

What I would like is to make the space center seem a little more real and lively:

1. Some paths going between the different buildings. It would make the whole space center feel connected and like a complete facility, rather than just some buildings next to eachother.

2. Kerbals walking/running around the different buildings. Imagine how funny it would look to see kerbals running between buildings, possibly tripping because they are so clumsy. And at some stage, perhaps rocket launches could take place while you are choosing your building, and all the kerbals would go running to cover because nobody told them the rocket was launching! Or just because Jeb hijacked it. Either way, it would be funny and make it feel much more lively.

3. This may or may not fit with the game, but having the occasional spaceplane come down halfway to a landing, before suddenly jerking up and flying off after the pilot realizes his landing gear is still up :D.

These are all I can think of for now. Anybody else have suggestions?

Paths between buildings would be coming after all the KSC buildings are finished, otherwise the roads could go through the spot where a building is in a later version.

Hmmm, never thought of that, good point.

Still, IIRC one of the devs said they were implementing more npcs and atmospheric additions to the KSC. I personally hope we can see all the crafts that are in the vicinity of the KSC (launchpad, runway, even on the grass or on top of the VAB) as if it were in real time in the Space Center screen.

Hmmm, never thought of that, good point.

Still, IIRC one of the devs said they were implementing more npcs and atmospheric additions to the KSC. I personally hope we can see all the crafts that are in the vicinity of the KSC (launchpad, runway, even on the grass or on top of the VAB) as if it were in real time in the Space Center screen.

Do you mean something like before going to the VAB you can see the rockets/spaceplanes you landed/crashed near in selection screen.

That would be extremely nice. I also support the idea of having kerbals walking around those paths, but I just don't see how rockets could be launching while you are selecting the building. I mean, you are the one who sends the rockets, so... Anyway, but ocassionaly you could see a rocket flying out of the R&D building, or explosions coming from it.

random stock craft maybe

I like the idea but I think it will cause lag.

Toggling from options can be a solution.

I can't think of a reason it would create lag except on the most weak of computers. it's not like physics will be enabled since it's in the building selection screen

I am completely against all of this. This has no place in the game until things have been optimized the game runds 64 bit and multicore.

Simply because i would not trade of game-performance for some visual things i hardly care about.

The idea is nice and hopefully will be implemented at some point but i dont see a place for such things until they optimize the game.

I don't think they should spend to much time into implementing cosmetic changes that you tire of after a few minutes. It might be cool to have a handfull of kerbals walking around, maybe a couple of those carts that move around stuff that you see in the VAB.

What would be kinda fun in my opinion is if the new R&D building would have some sort of little yard, a little rockyard where you can see kerbals testing out rovers and science equipment, and ofcrourse failing most of the time. That would make more sense to me than to have an entire KSC full of kerbals running around and things exploding, it would just increase loading times by a whole bunch without adding to much of gameplay value.

I'd love to see stock spaceplanes flying around in the flight scene. Imagine not paying attention to the sky above the runway and trying to take off and colliding into one, or seeing one crash into the runway as you're taking off.

I'd love to see stock spaceplanes flying around in the flight scene. Imagine not paying attention to the sky above the runway and trying to take off and colliding into one, or seeing one crash into the runway as you're taking off.

That would be fun.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.