Schematics, cross sections, and cutaway diagrams

I remember that when I was very young, I had an Incredible Cross Sections-style book all about spacecraft that showed cutaway diagrams of things like the Saturn V rocket, the different Apollo modules, the Space Shuttle, and a few others. I remember it being the most awesome book ever at the time, and I would spend hours looking at the diagrams and imagining what it would be like to ride inside one of those vehicles or see them in action.

I think it would be cool if, somewhere in the game, we had something along the same lines, whether 3D cutaways or simple 2D line diagrams, for a selection of parts in the game (like the crew capsules). They could be useful as additional loading screens, background images for as-yet unimplemented features in the game, or even as part of an unlockable "bonus gallery" once the full game is out once and for all.

To give a few examples of what I'm talking about, here's a Wikimedia gallery full of cutaway diagrams for real-world spacecraft, and another gallery specific to the Soyuz class of vessels.

It's actually on the planned features list on the wiki...and I can remember Harvester talking about an exploded and/or schematic view once. At least, I think it was Harvester talking about it. It was one of them dudes, at least >.>

Anyways, it'll certainly be good, but I get the feeling that it's kind of a low priority. I forget what they said the benefits would be...something to do with having more control over staging or something. I don't know, it was quite a while ago.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.