When you first visited the Jool system, which moon was the first you travelled to?

TheHockeyPlayer

When you first visited the Jool system, which moon was the first you travelled to?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. When you first visited the Jool system, which moon was the first you travelled to?

• Laythe
    • Vall
    • Tylo
    • Bop
    • Pol

I had designed a probe to go to Duna, overshot it, ended up in Jool orbit and thought "Why not?" Anyway, I got a Laythe intercept, but ran out of fuel during the circularization burn (I didn't know about aerobraking at the time or about the debug menu). Needless to say, I was pretty mad, and that's the farthest I've ever gotten beyond Kerbin. From Eve to Laythe is as far as I've ever gone from .17 to now.

my first visit to jool was a pair of probes that were destianed for duna but due to getting a sligshot coming into from ike, the first one didnt have the braking power to come to a rest in the system (even if memory serves a 5 KM high airbreak wasnt enough) so i instead boosted onto jool, (its sister was sussessful in gaining orbit...) But in both cases, a major design miscalulation give neither probe enough Dv to atually get into a stable orbit, The Dunna probe lasted about 5 orbits before being deorbited by Ike. The Jool probe lasted 4 and never got out of jools athmosphere on Pe, tranisited the three closest moons during those 4 orbits, eventualy getting a orbit ajustment from vall into Lythes seas.

Edited by PirateAE

My first Jool probe was a transfer stage of my first manned Duna mission. It was oversized so much, that after I separated a command module above Kerbin's atmosphere, I could accelerate payloadless stage to Jool. But I did not have enough fuel to do large maneuvers in Jool's system. So I aerobraked first in Jool's atmosphere and then in Laythe's atmosphere and that became my first Laythe orbiter.

My first manned mission was station at 48000 km orbit. From there I went to easy Bop and Pol and to little harder Vall. And when I got more skills, eventually to Laythe and Tylo.

My first trip to the Jool system was a very long time ago, I tried going to Laythe. Thanks to FAR, I could not go low enough to aerobrake or my ship would start tumbling and would rip itself apart. I had to use the engines, however, before I could get a Laythe encounter I ran out of fuel and got stuck in Jool orbit. After that, Jool and all of its moons were added to my "places to not visit" list.

But a few days ago, I decided to get my **** together and build a rover for Laythe. The trip was very uneventful, it was extremely easy to get an encounter. It was the descent part of the flight that got me into trouble - I decoupled my parachutes while still several kilometers above the surface, falling at a couple hundred meters per second.. Back to the drawing board. Maybe the third time's the charm..

Laythe.

The first time I ever reached Jool it was from a far from perfect encounter and the only moon you can really land on when you're travelling at 5km/s in opposite direction from your target is the one with the atmosphere.

The first I visited without at atmosphere was Tylo with an orbiting probe (I've yet to land on Tylo :o). The first landing was on Vall with a 1-manned pod.

I have been playing since before the planets were in the game, but I've never actually been to Jool, Eeloo, or Dres, nor have I landed on Eve or Ike. I don't know why I haven' t been. I haven't gone out to any of the other planets since about January either, just having too much fun near Kerbin, the Mun and Minmus.

I ended up going to Tylo first due to an accidental encounter. I tried to adjust my orbit when it happened but ran out of fuel and ended up getting slingshotted out of Jool's SOI. The first one I intentionally went to was Laythe; having the opportunity to aerobrake there made it easier to get into orbit on a tight fuel budget.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.