kOS Scriptable Autopilot System 0.9

KevinLaity

This needs to be integrated into probe cores and possibly just standard ASAS modules. as a mere 1m module is too small/too cumbersome to fit in a lot of the designs that this would be best suited for.

Also: Remote-tech 2 needs to have this integrated into it seemlessly.

You really want a readme.txt file for this short Update???

New in 0.3:

- Addition of loops and the break statement

- Addition of the if statement

I meant that there are several 0.3 version uploaded on spaceport like 0.31 , 0.32 and 0.33.

I wanna what changes did he make.

This needs to be integrated into probe cores and possibly just standard ASAS modules. as a mere 1m module is too small/too cumbersome to fit in a lot of the designs that this would be best suited for.

Also: Remote-tech 2 needs to have this integrated into it seemlessly.

The first thing is easy to do. If you can't add it yourself to the part config on the control modules then you will never be able to write the script anyway.

As for wanting it integrated with remote tech.. As you say "seemlessly" or rather seamlessly integrated into another mod is a lot to ask. This is pretty far from that at this point.

I played around a bit last night and successfully programed the computer to autonomously orbit a simple rocket and a space plane.

It does work quite well. That is the good bits. Now for the over arching critique.

<snip>

4. There is no such thing as -90 in a vector based world. It doesn't exist. I would like you to show me where on the navball it says -90. Values from 0-359 are what we should be using.

<snip>

Those are huge things. They have to be fixed for this to be usable by anyone without hardcore programming experience.

Finally, I have to ask for what reason have you considered writing your own scripting language in the first place? There are many examples of these like LUA that expose most of the useful environment and solves most, if not all, of these problems.

I understand doing things for your own educational betterment. I just don't want to be subjected to it. If you expect others to use it, it has to follow convention. As it is, I could write code in C faster that I can use this scripting language.

-90 is refering in pitch if you are point -90 your burying the nose in the dirt.

-90 is refering in pitch if you are point -90 your burying the nose in the dirt.

No that is 0 or 360. There is no such thing as -90. If I want to go 90deg opposite vector I would subtract 90. Having negative values as a default is a problem and is counter intuitive to how the system actually works.

No that is 0 or 360. There is no such thing as -90. If I want to go 90deg opposite vector I would subtract 90. Having negative values as a default is a problem and is counter intuitive to how the system actually works.

What about -45 or -80 degrees downward then?

There is no negative. What about that do you not understand? A circle has no negative degree. Values between 0 and 359 are acceptable. Furthermore the term "downward" is absolutely meaningless as it describes nothing.

-45 downwards is just 45deg. -80 downwards is just 10deg.

There is no negative. What about that do you not understand? A circle has no negative degree. Values between 0 and 359 are acceptable. Furthermore the term "downward" is absolutely meaningless as it describes nothing.

In KSP you can clearly see a little negative thats all i'm trying to say...

Also, aircraft avionics have them too.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/30238-How-to-Read-the-Navball

Edited by DoubleOSeven1
Added link

Actually, as a pilot and also someone in the avionics business for more than 20 years, there is absolutely such a thing as negative pitch. If you put the nose of a craft 10 degrees below the horizon, you don't say you're in a 350 degree climb. You have -10 pitch.

Even in spacecraft, pitch is referenced relative to a plane tangent to the nearest point on the surface of the body you're orbiting, creating an arbitrary "down" orientation as well as an imaginary horizon for the attitude indicator. Pitch is indicated as positive and negative values through 180 degrees and never as a 360 degree circle. That's actually how it works in the real world.

Edited by RoboRay

Ugghh that is to keep people from having to do head math when they are flying equipment. It's there because humans are not computers and there are much better things for ones mind to be occupied with when flying or navigating a vehicle. For a computer doing math, 0-359 is the correct and intuitive term. Furthermore, you would say that you where in a 80deg attitude. Your reference, is in the towards gravity direction.

Edited by Payload

If you want to argue with how more than a century of aeronautics and a half century of spaceflight has been conducted, that's your business.

I'm going to go with "the rest of the world does it right."

If you want to argue with how more than a century of aeronautics and a half century of spaceflight has been conducted, that's your business.

I'm going to go with "the rest of the world does it right."

This is not a human. It is a computer calculating vector sum! The term Horizon is meaningless. I could care less what sort of convention is used by the pilot or the informational display. The actual math uses 0-359deg. We are talking about programming a computer here. Not relaying information to a human. Negative numbers being used to describe vectors to a mathematical calculation machine is not correct.

And "the rest of the world" is certainly not the truth of the matter as any mathematician will tell you. Those are values made up in your head. They do not exist in reality. The flight computer in that plane you fly has no understanding of the terms you use. So because you are a pilot we are expected to believe that you know and understand how to program the flight computer?

Edited by Payload

So, you can use a value between 0 an 1, as long as you don't use ".". Ouch.

Even if it wasn't for the entrenched use of semicolon, the above makes it necessary.

Edit:

Watching video 3 now, and I'm seeing decimal points used:

set tVal to tVal - 0.02.

Hrm...

I suspect this is why periods have never been used as terminators in other languages. But it works fine. The rule is that whenever a period has a numeral directly after it, it is considered a decimal point. Any time it has any other character (or no character) after it, it is considered to be a statement terminator.

Sorry to spam up your thread, but I clearly am not understanding the resources thing. Here's my entire code:

print "initializing".

print <LiquidFuel>.

wait 1.

stage.

lock throttle to 1.

lock steering to up.

wait 1.

stage.

until altitude > 10000 {

lock steering to R(0,60,180).}.

until altitude > 100000 {

lock steering to R(0,0,180).}.

I get the error "unrecognized term ''" on line 1. That is the line with the print <LiquidFuel>. This appears to me to be exactly what's in the readme page, but clearly I'm doing it wrong.

Sorry to everybody using resource tags, this feature was not ready to go and I mistakenly released the documentation with it in there.

I meant that there are several 0.3 version uploaded on spaceport like 0.31 , 0.32 and 0.33.

I wanna what changes did he make.

Anytime that I have not put anything in the What's new section it's because there are bugfixes only.

Need API for surface speed, surface altitude, mass of ship, possibly total current thrust (I suppose that can be calculated through ship mass though). Need more things we can work with (and hard) to automate everything the awesome terminal way!

This is not a human. It is a computer calculating vector sum! The term Horizon is meaningless. I could care less what sort of convention is used by the pilot or the informational display. The actual math uses 0-359deg. We are talking about programming a computer here. Not relaying information to a human. Negative numbers being used to describe vectors to a mathematical calculation machine is not correct.

And "the rest of the world" is certainly not the truth of the matter as any mathematician will tell you. Those are values made up in your head. They do not exist in reality. The flight computer in that plane you fly has no understanding of the terms you use. So because you are a pilot we are expected to believe that you know and understand how to program the flight computer?

Most computers that deal with lots of rotations use quaternions, if I recall, because of the possibility of gimbal lock. Quaternions can contain a negative number perfectly well, and in most cases, they will have at least one.

This looks like an amazing mod, I will definitely be taking a look at it in the near future. I'd also like to throw my weight behind the idea of using the semicolon to terminate statements for what it's worth.

Will you be adding support for functions?

There seems to be a problem running if statements inside an until loop. I think its taking the }. at the end of the if statement as the end of the until loop.

Edit. Sorry my bad missed a full stop out. Its all working as it should :)

Edited by Shoulders

I like this mod so much!!! good job!

And maybe there is a problem. I saved a program file, and when i revert to launch, i could not find this file again. I have tried the command "list", "copy", "switch" .....

so is this a bug, or I have not used the right command? (sorry about my poor english :P

edit: well, i found the right way, now i could load the saved files. I just did not know that the volume0 is an archives, and it could save files.

Edited by Iseki

There seems to be a problem running if statements inside an until loop. I think its taking the }. at the end of the if statement as the end of the until loop.

I don't know about anybody else, but I do not have this issue... Are you sure that you are putting the period at the end of each of the statements? Ex:

set x to 3.
until x < 0 {
print x.

if x = 0 {
stage.
}.

set x to x - 1.
}.